Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Anyone practicing tonight or able to set up a lobby as i cant make the next 2 practice sessions.????
YEh I can

Raigore

Staff iRacing
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Can set up/join aswell, need some more practice at higher temps, spun two times yesterday. The first hour of the race and 10am to the finish will be an absolute nightmare to drive, I would advice everyone to set up the car for the day not the night, you might lose .1 in the night but at least you reach it...

Exited

Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
@Raigore @PiGuy
Does the tire wear display in the setup menu update if you went to the pits without changing tires or just when you pit and change tires?

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Can host a session today. I am online now :)

grobi0815

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
@Raigore @PiGuy
Does the tire wear display in the setup menu update if you went to the pits without changing tires or just when you pit and change tires?
it will show up as soon as you stand in the pits. so you can uncheck them if you decide not to change your tires during refuel

Rargon

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I would join you guys aswell. When will you start 19:00 UTC?

Jeff[NL]

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Possible to have tonight the track at some day temps etc ? Seems we need more practice when the track is ''hot'

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Possible to have tonight the track at some day temps etc ? Seems we need more practice when the track is ''hot'
Currently 36 degrees on the session

CatchAGlimpse

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Apologies I didn't make it in the end, I couldn't get away from work.

I'll be there for tomorrows session and I believe at least 3 of team black will be doing the RSO race on Sunday as another test.

Exited

Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
it will show up as soon as you stand in the pits. so you can uncheck them if you decide not to change your tires during refuel
Can you change tires and refuel at the same time or is it first refuel and then changing tires?

grobi0815

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Here are some tips for the ones who are doing this the first time in iRacing:

1. It's possible on this track to double, maybe even tripple stint the tires. BUT please don't do it at the first two stints. The track will be hot and is not rubbered in.
2. You can only see the tire wear, when you are standing in the pits. If you open up the tire info box during the race, you'll only see the tire wear from the end of your last stint.
3. If you are considering to do a double/tripple stint you need to be aware of the following:
3.1 Changing the tires costs you 28 seconds. A full service with fuel/tire is around 1:02-1:08.
3.2 With a stint of around 34 laps, you can do the math, how much time you can gain/loose. You'll be a bit slower on used tires.
3.3 The car will behave strangely on used tires and a full fuel tank. Please try it in a practice session first, before you considering it during the race
3.4 The tires are driveable somewhere around 40% is left. BUT it's really really tough at the end.

I'm sure I forgot some things, so to every experienced driver, feel free to share your tips with our iRacing newbies.

fab. ICEMAN

Staff iRacing
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Very well written @grobi0815!

I was testing the pitstop time loss yesterday and (in the Ferrari) I calculated a total loss of 50s with refueling from ~2l to 90l. With tires on top it should be around 1:18 min then. It's total loss so driving into and out of pits is included.

A few additional points here:

Be aware of adapting to the braking zones
Daytona is a special track with its long straight/banking sections. What I experienced in the test race is that driving in a train with 3 or 4 cars directly ahead requires a massive change of driving style. You will have extreme overspeed approaching the heavy braking zones and you will need to brakes a lot earlier. Sometimes it might feel odd cause even if you don't catch up to the car ahead you will still have a big topspeed delta - same goes for the cars ahead and they will also brake earlier. That results in an accordion effect and can have bad impacts for the last cars in a train. I can only encourage everybody to practice that. Build a train in the next practice session or go out and race the IMSA officials next week, IMO minium as much as you practice lone driving.

Be patient and take advantages
If you're behind a same class car and feel the need of getting past him - think twice about it first, cause you may be better off staying behind him. First of all, you can save a heavy load of fuel and run 1 or even 2 laps longer. Secondly, you can make him and yourself faster by tandem drafting (driving very very close behind him) in the oval section. I haven't checked the topspeed difference but I'm pretty sure you and the guy ahead will easily run 10 kph faster than alone. But again, both techniques requires practice!

Practice different lines
In the end you'll still be in the need of passing slower-class cars or same-class cars, which means you have to go off the racing line. I know that sounds silly but has anyone tried to overtake on the inside of turn 1? It freaked me out cause everything down there looks completely different. If you try to overtake there without having been there once you will either overshoot into the wall or having braked so super early that people wonder if you wanna stop the car there.

Overall: Stay calm anytime

I learned this from my very first 24h race (Daytona last year). I remember a situation where a backmarker (of my own class) wouldn't let me by and was driving very dangerous as well. I went on and battled with him, which resulted in a tiny contact. It was his fault but Manu was still getting furious at me. I didn't understand the world but now I do. All you wanna do the whole race is not getting yourself in any danger, ever. It just doesn't pay off. One slight mistake of the oppononent (or yourself) can end the race very quickly - and it will catch you in the places you would have never thought of.

Raigore

Staff iRacing
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Also make sure you are fine driving in the worst possible conditions (race start). Worst possible track conditions should be 36°C with about 25-30% track state. There will also be alot of dirty air and traffic forcing you to drive off your usual line.

javoresku

Community Member
Reaction score
My 5 cents - it's a long race, don't try to win in the first corner/lap/hour. One little contact and you'll be stuck with the damage for the next 23 and a half hours.

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score

Exited

Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Also make sure you are fine driving in the worst possible conditions (race start). Worst possible track conditions should be 36°C with about 25-30% track state. There will also be alot of dirty air and traffic forcing you to drive off your usual line.
In general I agree with you, but I would maybe put it in another way.
Use a stint planer and figure out who will start the race. This person should then practice some qualy laps and much more important the race start on the described conditions.
I don't think you can practice every track condition and variation of daytime and track condition if you aren't able to play 24/7 :D so it's better to know what track conditions you could approximately face, take the worst case scenario (temperature and rubber) and then practice those, it should be still a lot of practice to do :p

Jeff[NL]

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
So tonight we are gonna do train practice i guess !?

Users who are viewing this thread