Abysmal Frame Drops in PCars With CV1 (1 Viewer)

Bassetts

Community Member
Reaction score
Just a question to any CV1 / NVidia Owners

Has anyone had problems the last couple of days with terrible drops in frame rate in game ?

I tried a couple of quick online games today and it's unplayable with massive stutter and frame drops. I know over the last week there has been a GFX Driver update 372.90 and this evening I had a Occulus update come down.

Normally it runs smooth as silk on my system (4690K @ 4.5Ghz With GTX 1080 @ 2.1Ghz Clock /5400 Mhz Mem), but something has definitely changed over the last few days,.

Tried iRacing afterwards and it seemed okay, but was feeling pretty sick after the stint in PCars so hard to be 100%. but frame drops didn't seem to be occurring.

Laiders

RSR Academy
Reaction score
I have a DK2 and GTX 970, on driver 364.72. It was very sensitive to the driver version, so I'm not planning to update anytime soon. This driver runs fine with the released Oculus software (so should also be OK with CV1). I would recommend trying to go back to this driver and see if it works for you.

I haven't really seen any performance stutters since the big upgrade from the old DK2 drivers, I think the difference is it now renders smoothly at lower fps so if you do get a momentary dip it is hardly noticeable, just feels like looking at a monitor at low FPS (with the original DK2 drivers it was like what your eyes saw didn't track with the movement when there was an fps hit).

I have no issues with performance in pCars, including things like the Sauber night/rain race where others without VR were struggling, but I do have the settings quite low (and disabled the crowds in an .ini file) plus DK2 has a lot less to render than CV1.

In iRacing I did struggle with performance at certain tracks, Nurburgring GP was unusable for me. I have not played much (or not at all can't remember) since the update to the CV1 compatible Oculus drivers came out for iRacing. Actually started playing pCars and found RSR because it was too much of a pain to switch between different Oculus drivers and the pCars with current driver is such a good experience!

Laiders

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Has there been a pCars update? It asked me to choose my difficulty level (which I don't think does anything) and had those annoying voice over menu help hints to click through when I started it just now, only did free practice, so can't say if fps is effected.

Tom

Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I have a CV1 and like @Laiders use a 970 with low settings. I barely ever get 90 FPS (sometimes in time trial/single practice), but the time warp thing works pretty well for me, so I don't get any stutters. It's consistent in this case, so i don't get any noticeable frame drops.

The one time I did get an unusable (and nauseous) case of stuttering was on an online session using one of @Hobbnob's mods at a go kart track. An Nvidia update & quick system restart seemed to fix it.

IIRC this was down to Windows 10 updates, and not Pcars or the mod itself. For a week or 2 it would de-activate the graphics driver, which would force me to re-install/update it each time. I was also having problems with the Rift sensor disconnecting at regular intervals. It's been fine for me over the last month or so, and some Windows updates have come and gone, so I assume it was down to that.

My main problem at the moment is fogging, sometimes in only 1 eye :p

Last edited:

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I have a CV1 and like @Laiders use a 970 with low settings. I barely ever get 90 FPS (sometimes in time trial/single practice), but the time warp thing works pretty well for me, so I don't get any stutters. It's consistent in this case, so i don't get any noticeable frame drops.

The one time I did get an unusable (and nauseous) case of stuttering was on an online session using one of @Hobbnob's mods at a go kart track. An Nvidia update & quick system restart seemed to fix it.

IIRC this was down to Windows 10 updates, and not Pcars or the mod itself. For a week or 2 it would de-activate the graphics driver, which would force me to re-install/update it each time. I was also having problems with the Rift sensor disconnecting at regular intervals. It's been fine for me over the last month or so, and some Windows updates have come and gone, so I assume it was down to that.

My main problem at the moment is fogging, sometimes in only 1 eye :p
I ran the entire NVidia challenge with that happening. In my case it's because I had a nasty eye irritation (that has only cleared today), resulting in my eye weeping far more than normal. On top of the flu.

As for Rift frame drops, I've not noticed anything but I haven't really used it since Monday - was getting absolutely normal performance then.

Bassetts

Community Member
Reaction score
Well, still seem to be having problems with online races, so rolled back 372.20 but as I rebooted Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3194496) also installed.

After reboot seemed much better, not sure which fixed it, but if it ain't broke don't fix it :)

Users who are viewing this thread