Advice On Problem (1 Viewer)

G

Gopher04

Over the last few days starting getting some of those green spots/squares appearing on the screen, then it might freeze, then come back to life, also had the warning the nvidia driver isn't responding, then that comes back to life, also it seems it sort of turn off/reboot the pc when it's extreme, I'm convince its the graphics card but will test tomorrow, but have checked connections, memory sticks, monitor cables/monitors and so on, psu is basically new, anyone else convinced it's the graphics? or maybe another suggestion if any..

Also if it does turn out to be the gpu more than likely go with 1070, that will be fine with a 2700k oc@4.6?

Dama_The_Crow

Community Member
Reaction score
Also if it does turn out to be the gpu more than likely go with 1070, that will be fine with a 2700k oc@4.6?

I have that combo and it works fine, but in some games (like BF1 MP) CPU could be bottleneck.

G

Gopher04

Cheers Dama good to know, it gotten slightly worst over the evening, when I boot through now and get to desktop it like I've a new OS install and no drivers are installed yet, so it's like looking at 800x600..also my wallet keeps running off now as well..

Dama_The_Crow

Community Member
Reaction score
Your current GPU is mostly dead but you have solution to extend it's life. You bake it in the owen for 9 minutes and it can be working again. ;) If you are interested in that I could send you "how to" procedure.

G

Gopher04

Baking in a oven that's a new one for me..got to be fun read.

Dama_The_Crow

Community Member
Reaction score
http://www.bug.hr/forum/topic/grafi...aficke-kartice-koristenjem-pecnice/67886.aspx

That's a forum post in croatian but I will tel you how in english:

1. You need to take off from GPU all fans and plastic parts (it your case just unscrew cooler of GPU and take it of)
2. Take a "owen dish" (wide flat one - I am not sure how its called in english but i am sure you get it) and make some aluminium foil and make some cubes that will server as "pillars" for GPU (see the pictures in link above) . GPU must NOT touch "owen dish" it need to stand on 4 alluminum pillars
3. turn on 200c temperature in owen and wait for it to heat itself to 200c temperature (about 5 min maybe) and then put that dish wioth GPU on it in the owen for 9 minutes (mot more)
4. Open owen and slide out (dont shake it at all, just slide that dish from owen) and wait for it to cool down.
5. Put your GPU in PC and it should be working

I did that on my old 670 and it is still working ;) 1 year after.

edit: Don't forget top apply thermal paste on GPU chip when installing FAN again after "baking".

P.S. This should be done just in case when there is no hope for your GPU (and I think thats your case with that artefacts)

Last edited:

FlyingKman

Founder Member
Community Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine fixed a laptop the same way Dama did. It re-solders the connection.

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Well I'm baking my cake now, will report back soon..:nailbiting::brb:

If your GPU looks like that after your bake session I would be concerned how to build it back in :p :D

G

Gopher04

Well all I can say is wow..this actually works, wasn't able to boot into the desktop earlier today, first boot after baking the card all is back to new again, temps have dropped by atleast 4°c on idle, haven't done a real stress test yet, but so far all is looking very good..

Thx's for the tip Dama ;) Manu said he would by you a pint sometime if this worked..:muted: if I'm able to race again I will clear the path for a win for you Dama.

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
If you want a bit more background, Gopher, it's all caused by the heat/cool cycle and poor manufacturing in the first instance. Factor in dust build up and sometimes less than ideal air circulation and it is a recipe for problems.

It became such a big deal that there was a class-action lawsuit in the US over laptops that had NVidia graphics and inadequate cooling. Dell and HP were the main offenders - I, personally, saw more than a dozen HP laptops in my shop with the problem, as well as quite a few Dell units.

The oven trick is not always guaranteed to work but glad to read it's got you up and running. I'm ever mindful of my own ineptitude, which is why I don't ever recommend it publicly :eek:.

ramiboo

Community Member
Reaction score
on my initial run through of this thread I was horrified to hear such tails as baking graphics cards in ovens, but I must say well done my fuzzy friend. I'm not sure I would have had the balls to do it although I understand how it could work. I may try it on other items though, like HDD control boards if they start to cause issues.

G

Gopher04

It seemed like abit of a risk, but as I want a set of V3 pedals I couldn't do both, now I'm sure there is no guarantee how much it will extend it's life but if it's just a year that would be cool, but at the moment all is good, better temps, and a couple of extra fps, what I did notice how badly the gpu was mounted on the heat sink, so badly done.
Have watched some vids on people doing it hdd/ssd cards, so the technique might apply to other things, strange thing is (touch wood) my 480 on the other pc is alot older, but then again it doesn't get alot of high stress use.

Last edited by a moderator:

Invincible

Community Member
Reaction score
I've done it to with my old card, which worked for another year until I replaced it anyway. It can be messy if done wrong and isn't guaranteed to work, but if you were to bin the card else, it's a last straw which you can cling to.

Dama_The_Crow

Community Member
Reaction score
Thx's for the tip Dama ;) Manu said he would by you a pint sometime if this worked..:muted: if I'm able to race again I will clear the path for a win for you Dama.

Glad to help. I am waiting for that pint ;)

G

Gopher04

Ok just moved the repaired 780 to another PC, got a 1070 for the main PC, which has two monitors, one being the main, and a extended one, so I ran a hdmi to hdmi from the card to the main monitor, and dvi to dvi to the extended monitor, boots up and win 7 has moved to the extended monitor, main screen stays black, if you disconnect the extended monitor and boot up again, the main screen works fine..does the dvi connection have priority over the hdmi socket??

Main screen has a DVI & HDMI socket
Extended has DVI & VGA socket

To get the extended monitor working as it should do I connect the main via dvi to dvi again, and get a hdmi/dpi to dvi cable, or do I connect the main with hdmi both ends still and then get a hdmi/dpi to dvi cable??

Hope everyone followed that..

Jonno

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Did you go in to your screen settings and make your main monitor your main monitor... I had a similar issue mine was sorted by a simple graphics card update update. I know its not much help but its a starting point..

G

Gopher04

Yeh it is always setup as main, ran this setup for along time, only thing that has changed is the card, and new cards only have one dvi on them now at most, but when there connected together using hdmi to hdmi and dvi to dvi the dvi fires up the hdmi doesn't.

Users who are viewing this thread