Desperately needs a wheel, Advice please (1 Viewer)

FuBii

RSR Academy
Reaction score
So, after racing in Split one for the past while now, I don't think I can improve any more racing with my trusty dualshock 3 controller. I could go out & buy a ps4 controller, I may actually get some feedback via vibration but really want to invest in a wheel. The only wheel I ever used was the University simulator with the Fanatec CSW2.0 & formula black wheel. Finished with the Heusinkveld Ultimate Pedals. Very nice but WAAY out of my price range. So what are you all racing with & any advantage saving for a DD system?

Dutchtastic

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
G27 (second hand only), just doesn't want to die so you save money buying upgrades.

There is always a trusty T300 which is a fairly cheap beltdriven wheel base with changable wheels. Downside is the pedals that come with it, T3PA's are a love or hate set.

Jonno

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Whats your kind of budget.???

FuBii

RSR Academy
Reaction score
I could probably extend it to £750 but ideally below 600, trying to re-decorate the flat I stay in

steveg200

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Well I bought the Fanatec CSL with formula rim and lc pedals which roughly came to £700 .

Jonno

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Well I bought the Fanatec CSL with formula rim and lc pedals which roughly came to £700 .
I was trying to remeber the wheel you had lol cus i remeber you telling me the cost of it. But couldnt for the life of me remember it lol

FuBii

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Mmmm just checked out Fanatec's website, everything in stock except the wheel :facepalm:
Not due to have it stocked for another 2 months :eek:
:banghead:
:banghead::banghead::banghead:
So, should have something decent in time for PCars2! :D
Hopefully....:confused:

PatatorJohn

RSR Academy
Reaction score
I'm running with a Logitech G920. As the default settings were quite poor, I had to change a lot to match my expectations, which I've only been to reach last week. Now, I'm happy with it, it is a solid construct, well manufactured.

But from what I've heard, if you have the budget, Fanatec rocks, though I would expect the tweaking to be quite complex too...

Another point I would suggest to consider is a good braking pedal. There is a full second to win or loose there, since we play without ABS.

falcon2081

Founding Member
Community Member
Reaction score
OSW go for nothing less :p

Seriously though I would consider the Fanatec CSL. As for the rim you can find them all the time on eBay. Check there.

Jonno

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Tbh.. Id recomend the g27 if your just after something. I love mine.. Probbly pick one up for like £80/£100 and thats the full set up wheel peddles and gear shifter..

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I'm still rocking my 10-year old G25 for wheel duties. The shifter packed up a couple of years ago and the pedals started playing up so, those are now handled by the Thrustmaster TH8RS shifter and Fanatec CSP v3.

Spending a tonne of money on a wheel and pedals will not necessarily* make you go faster, compared to a basic one. Sure, it will feel better and you will get more forces but, for day-to-day racing, you really can't beat Logitech for value for money. Take a look at the G29 / G920 for the wheel and look to replace the pedals with, for example, the Fanatec CSP v3. You'll still be well under your budget and you can always upgrade the wheel later once you're more confident with racing with that kind of setup.

* I should add that you might find that a better translation of forces enable you to feel what the car is doing and, consequently, drive more quickly but that's for the future, not immediately.

Last edited:

Laiders

RSR Academy
Reaction score
I've got a G29 that recently replaced my long serving G25. If you've never had a wheel I'd start with Logitech, they're very well built and no reason you can't be fast with them.

The pedals on the G29 are much better than the G25, they have a progressive spring now which is quite nice to use and have sorted out the pedal spacing/height, basically the mods you had to make to the G25 pedal set are now standard.

With the Logitech wheels buy new or low hours if second hand, they do wear out and get a bit noisy and tired after several years of heavy sim racing use. However there are often ones on eBay that have only been used once.

I had a free sample of the Fanatec 911 turbo wheel when they first came out, nice and shiny but the quality was terrible, was in the bin within a year! Sure the quality has got a bit better but it certainly seems people have issues with Fanatec & Thrustmaster wheels, no one seems to with the Logitech.

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
If anybody is on Amazon Prime in the UK and wants a cheap wheel, I grabbed a G29 last night for £129. The paddles on my G25 have been acting up for a while (usually when it's warm weather - most recently at the RSR Cup, Season 2 finale) and the right-hand button (one of only 2 on the wheel) is dying, rapidly, so that price was too good to refuse. I need a working wheel for the Le Mans race this weekend and haven't got time to get used to something radically different in feel, so this was the perfect bargain at the perfect moment.

Anyhoo, yeah, it's cheap as hell.

EDIT : And, er, oops. I have to apologise to the admin, I clicked the link straight from the e-mail I got from Amazon :(

EDIT : And the deal is already over, sorry to get anybody's hopes up :(

Last edited:

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
VERY disappointed...

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
VERY disappointed...
Nobody is more disappointed than myself :(

EDIT : To try and make up for my gross error of judgement, I have donated €5. I hope you can all find it in your hearts to forgive me. If not today, then some day in the future.

Last edited:

Topsie

Community Member
Reaction score
Curry/PC World have them for £129.99 online (excluding shifter).

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
^^^ I wonder if that's a reaction to Amazon? They were £160+ when I looked a couple of days ago :)

Taorminator

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
If my car didn't break down last week, I would have bought that wheel too. My trusty old DFGT will have to suffice for now, hopefully it'll last at least 1 more month.
As I am very new to sim racing that's the wheel I chose. Bought it for 60€ (whatever it is in £) second hand and it works like a charm, very satisfied by the price/quality ratio. I feel the pedals are not very good though... If you're just looking for a temporary solution while waiting for your fanatec, that might be a good choice. It might have a good re-selling value as well so little money lost on that ;)

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
As I am very new to sim racing that's the wheel I chose. Bought it for 60€ (whatever it is in £) second hand and it works like a charm, very satisfied by the price/quality ratio. I feel the pedals are not very good though... If you're just looking for a temporary solution while waiting for your fanatec, that might be a good choice. It might have a good re-selling value as well so little money lost on that ;)
Well, my G25 has done me proud for 10 years so I should feel right at home with it. I have Fanatec pedals already, so I won't be using the Logitech ones unless the CSP v3's pack up and have to go back.

Users who are viewing this thread