Driving School (1 Viewer)

Nakor

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong in this situation? (hint: perhaps not only one thing :D )
This is called power oversteer, right? Theory says turn wheels fast in the direction you want to drive and add just a bit throttle...

Nighttiger

Community Member
Reaction score
You are on the power to long here, that is the problem here. Sometimes you can catch it with a bit of throttle but in this situation (and because of the physics of Pcars 1) the oversteer is really hard to catch, try it without extra throttle.

Stitch

Community Member
Reaction score
^ Agree. The throttle metre at the bottom shows you went from 0% throttle to about 50% rather fast, should be more gentle and progressive. Usually you would start applying 50-100% throttle on corner exit after hitting the apex, not approaching it.

I would also just add that when you notice the rear end stepping out, the worst thing you can do is try to correct it with more throttle. You also don't want to throw the car in the opposite direction, you want to gently turn in the direct of the skid, otherwise you could cause the car to just 'swish' from side to side until it spins.

If the rear steps out, gently turn in the direct of the skid and hold the brake. It'll allow the car to slow and regain grip. Once you feel the car grip again, then you can progressively apply throttle. Just another thing, I noticed you tapped the brakes going into the corner - I know this car upset the weight in certain cars since you're shifting the weight about. That's dependant on the car and setup though, but I would try to be a bit more progressive with the brakes rather than tapping them mid-corner.

Nakor

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Thanks to both of you. So I have now some good points to practice. :)
That thing with stapping in the brake is a bad habit i try to unlearn :(
My idea was with the slightly more throttle to give the rears more grip and less to the front. But i think this only works when the wheels not spinning this much (as said only in some perhaps rare Situations). So braking gentle is the better idea..

Stitch

Community Member
Reaction score
Thanks to both of you. So I have now some good points to practice. :)
That thing with stapping in the brake is a bad habit i try to unlearn :(
My idea was with the slightly more throttle to give the rears more grip and less to the front. But i think this only works when the wheels not spinning this much (as said only in some perhaps rare Situations). So braking gentle is the better idea..

Personally I always try to promote smooth driving. I learnt by pressing the brakes and/or throttle only when you know you won't need to lift off and re-tap. For instance, coming out of a corner, I see a lot of people doing 25% 0% 25% 0% throttle, like little rev bursts. I find that to be really disruptive to the balance of the car and instead learnt to only press the throttle when I know I can keep it down. Like 5% > 10% > 15% > up to 100%. Like a progressive transition, and the same applies to braking. That's just my driving style, I'm sure others work too.

When the rear goes, regaining grip on the rear usually isn't gained through more throttle, that nearly always makes it worse. Braking and counter steering is the safest way to straighten the car out, but it's the slowest. You could try counter steering and applying a little throttle, not much. It's hard to say a 'definitive' solution because it's a matter of feeling. One situation that looks similar to another might require completely different driver input purely based on feeling, road camber, car balance etc.

As for learning to gain progressive input, I could maaaaybe suggest lowering the sensitivity for your pedals. Just means that your habit for tapping is off-set by the need to apply more brake/throttle, so your habit wouldn't be as impactful. Other than that, I don't know what to suggest. Just practice, be aware of your mistakes and learn. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread