Headtracking and Racing Questions (1 Viewer)

InsaneBase

Community Member
Reaction score
So, I ordered the DelanClip to use it with FacetrackNoIR/pointtracker. (Similar to TrackIR)

It's a little gizmo with three IR emitters you can attach to your headset (preferably) that can then be used for headtracking. I bought the "full" set which included a PS3 EyeToy camera modified so that it only "sees" infrared, was £ 35.99 (without shipping).

All's cool in DCS, after setup the tracking is working excellently so far, but I am struggling a little bit with it in iRacing.

Do some people here use Headtracking? I know Yorkie did from stalking him watching his videos.

Do you have any tips for setting it up? Should I disable the movement axes and use it more as a different form of "look left" / "look right" button, with less free movement?

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
@Yorkie_065 is your man for that. He uses headtracking for a long long long time :D

Yorkie_065

Community Member
Reaction score
So for racing games, I purely use:
- Looking Left and Right movement (Yaw)
- Looking Up and Down movement (Pitch)
You could if you wanted to, enable head tilting to lean your head into the corners (Roll) but I don't find I do that in sim racing as I'm not fighting G-force. Anything other kind of movement, moving back and forth, up and down, leaning left to the left and right is too disorientating in racing games and gives you too much movement.

I often shuffle in the seat a little during long periods of driving which knocks it off center. You can recenter it but of course, it happens like mid corner which can be a little off putting. Hence the fixed position, but able to look left, right, up and down.

Hope it helps! :)

InsaneBase

Community Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! The fiddling around will begin.

InsaneBase

Community Member
Reaction score
So, it's working in iRacing and DCS, but no luck in pCars (which looks awesome with everything to the Maxxxxxxxx, but that's not the point).

Does anyone have a hint?

Yorkie_065

Community Member
Reaction score
So, it's working in iRacing and DCS, but no luck in pCars (which looks awesome with everything to the Maxxxxxxxx, but that's not the point).

Does anyone have a hint?

Run it in Oculus Rift mode. Running the game normally won't work.
To do it, go into steam library > click the 'Play' button on PCars > check 'Launch in Oculus Rift Mode'.

You'll have to do that every time you launch the game unfortunately, but at least it works that way.

B

Blue Monkey

Run it in Oculus Rift mode. Running the game normally won't work.
To do it, go into steam library > click the 'Play' button on PCars > check 'Launch in Oculus Rift Mode'.

You'll have to do that every time you launch the game unfortunately, but at least it works that way.
Yep had to do the same for "FaceNoIR" - launch either in HTC Vive or Oculus Rift mode

InsaneBase

Community Member
Reaction score
Yes, it only works in Lord Helmet Cam. :stig:

I'm not using "pure" FacetrackNoIR, too, I use a Delanclip. That's three IR diodes on a... well... clip made by a handy British person. Together with a plugin for FtNIR (so the NoIR part is actually not true in my case) it's about as accurate as TrackIR and also independent from the lighting in your room.*

*I play with dimmed lights in the evening/night, and "pure" facetracking wouldn't work.

Users who are viewing this thread