Need hardware advice for VR (1 Viewer)

kobusnell

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I would like to add something. Someone should correct me if they think it's stupid.

I build the motherboard and smaller components outside. The pressure required to install some components frightened me, and building it outside supports the motherboard better. I typically rest the motherboard in the motherboard box, on its packaging, and then install the CPU, heat sink and RAM.

When building the computer, open the manuals and follow them. Sound's obvious...

Mearcat

Community Member
Reaction score
I build the motherboard and smaller components outside.

Not stupid, a good tip. I would also plug in as many of the SATA and component cables before the MB goes in. they are hard to reach once in the case.

I build outside the case as well, just NOT on top of the antistatic packet!!!!
The AS packet is designed so that the outside carries any ESD. If you rest any circuit boards on the outside of the packet, the packet could channel any ESD it picks up through the circuit.

working on the MB box alone is best.

Last edited:

Darksi

Manager of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I tend to build outside of case first and then mount to case. I have an antistatic mat and wrist band. One of these

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I hadn't really thought about it until you brought it up but, yep, that's how I do it. CPU and RAM go on the board, along with the CPU cooler (unless it's water-cooled) outside of the case, then transfer the lot into the case. Good point :)

Taorminator

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Thank you guys very much for taking the time! :) very good advices here especially for the build!

Wow! A 1080 TI for that price? Yeah I'll go for that! It looks parts are a lot cheaper in germany, I live not far from Aachen so I was thinking about buying there. I'll have a look at the website you mentionned for the whole build. Unfortunately your LDLC link links to my saved build on their website so I can't see your changes... could you please explain roughly? (Dont want to abuse your time :$)

Anyway you guys are legends! Thank you again :)

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Tao you plan on building this yourself right? Then I would look for a good price comparison site and pick one or two (because delivery costs) online stores and order there.

Without checking the prices of the parts you picked, I bet you could save north of 100€ or get better parts for the same budget. The gfx card is a good example.

Hujkis

Community Member
Reaction score

Jaco P.

Community Member
Reaction score
What your take on Rift CV1 vs. DK2?
Does DK2 perform decent for simracing?

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I have a DK2 and it performs well enough. You WILL see a noticable drop in image quality, compared to playing on a monitor but, IMHO, immersion trumps it every day of the week and that drop will be there with a CV1 or DK2 (just less so with the CV1). Ideally, see if you can try one for a few days first. CV1 is slightly higher resolution and runs at a higher framerate (90fps vs 75fps) and that's great if your system has enough grunt to support it. My overclocked GTX980 and i5-8600K can't do 75fps all that often on my DK2, but that's because I normally run with the detail set quite high.

Ashnoom

Community Member
Reaction score
don't forget the built-in microphone and added headset (which is removable) as a pro-for the CV1.

The CV1 has also been greatly reduced in price nowadays (€300?). It is lighter, IMHO more comfortable (I used both).

And for the video improvement there are some nice photos here: http://idesignvegas.com/blog/oculus-rift-cv1-vs-dk2-lens-view/

All-in-all, buy what you want and what your wallet affords. If the extra cost ain't worth it to you, stick to the DK2 :)

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
On the basis of those side-by-side images, the CV1 is a no-brainer

Hujkis

Community Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised no-one mentions Vive. Does it have any disadvantages for simracing?

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
None that I'm aware of.

If your PC is powerful enough to run pCARS2 at 90fps solid, in all conditions, then there's no real difference between the Vive and Oculus. But when you start struggling to hit 90fps, that's when the ASW stuff on the Oculus does wonders and at least keeps things playable :)

Hujkis

Community Member
Reaction score
None that I'm aware of.

If your PC is powerful enough to run pCARS2 at 90fps solid, in all conditions, then there's no real difference between the Vive and Oculus. But when you start struggling to hit 90fps, that's when the ASW stuff on the Oculus does wonders and at least keeps things playable :)
Ahh 'asw'. Make sense. Same issue with my HDK2 - same display as Vive and CV1, but with my potato gpu it's unusable for racing.

Taorminator

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I bought the cv1 with sensors and controllers and extra foam cover second hand (actually new, the guy sold it because he had motion sickness) for 330€. I've finally ordered everything! :) I'll post the full components list and return of experience here when I get the time

Users who are viewing this thread