Planing to build a Mini ITX (1 Viewer)

GioVtec

Head RSR Designs
Community Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Long time ago I asked about a PC that can be comfortable for people like me, who is "on the run" (Moving from town to town) most of the time.

Thought about getting a gaming laptop, but I want to have something more customisable, someone (I think was @Puffpirat or @falcon2081) said something about a Mini ITX.
Since then, I started doing some small savings from time to time and I want to believe that I'll be able to save something in between 600 to 800 dlls late this year.

By doing some quick searching today, I found this article about a budget Mini ITX
and having here many PC consultants :D I would like to know What are your thoughts on what the article is recommending? and, or If you would recommend something different.

Also, How good/bad can be for new upcoming games? eg pCARS2 obviously :D

Best

Giovanni

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Yeah I build a mini ITX cube for my wife as an office workstation and she's loving it. I'll cover the basics, case and cooling is a different story :p

Nice articel btw, you can for sure build a great bang for buck ITX machine. Let's start with CPU. (Heads up Ryzen isn't an option yet really, because there is only one ITX board around). I picked an core i5 6500 for my wife a year ago, the articel now says 7500 (it's the best bang for buck between 7400-7600). With that you don't need a Z270 board because you can't OC. So B250 it is, I'd suggest one with wifi though, if you need it that is. Safes you one expansion slot!

You don't need super fast RAM, but I would go for 16GB, something like this https://geizhals.de/g-skill-value-4-dimm-kit-16gb-f4-2400c15d-16gnt-a1324686.html?hloc=at&hloc=de Not superduper fast but good latencies, no bling bling, 16GB starts at 100€ here

And mini GFX cards :) You can even get a 1080Ti nowadays :D I'd go for a 1070 mini but just realized they got damn expensive :eek: 1060 6GB would be an option if the 1070 is too expensive, something like this https://geizhals.de/evga-geforce-gtx-1060-gaming-06g-p4-6161-kr-a1479076.html?hloc=at&hloc=de

You could also go for an AMD RX 570/580 and depending on the case you might not even need a "mini" version :)

7500 + B250 board, that'll be around 300€/$
RAM 100€
GFX 250€
Add 150-200€ for case, PSU, drives (you don't need M.2, normal SSD + big HDD for storage will do), cooling.

That could be just about in your budget. If more Ryzen ITX boards come out that would be an option to cut the platform price. Not buy a lot though.

Last edited:

falcon2081

Founding Member
Community Member
Reaction score
@Puffpirat pretty much covered everything but I wanted to add a couple of notes. Make sure you know that with a ITX build you will be very limited with PCie expansion slots. I think nowadays its just 2 so basically graphic card and something else. Next thing will be of course heat. You will have a hard time cooling that thing when you game/video edit/etc so I would even consider getting a small AIO cooler and stick it with the rear exhaust fan. Although that's all dependent on case. Personally I would step up to a mATX build. The cases are still small and it gives you plenty of room to customize and most cases provide decent airflow. mATX is generally cheaper than building a ITX build as well.

As for the graphic card a mini 1070 should do but since you said you would build it towards the end of the year consider going to Volta. Also there's a upward boom ($$$$) on graphic cards due to crypto-mining currency. Same goes with the shortage and rising cost of Ram.

GioVtec

Head RSR Designs
Community Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys, as always really helpfull. :)

GioVtec

Head RSR Designs
Community Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, as I was wandering around in Youtube watching economic graphic cards reviews, it made me think to get some temporary graphic card (hoping they drop prices early next year).

So the list start with these items.

MSI B250
ZOTAC 1050 Ti 4GB
Ryzen 5 1600
CORSAIR Vegeance LPX 16GB
Silverstone Mini ITX

With power supply, hard drive, windows and an economic monitor, I'll be reaching the $800dlls mark.

But. Will it be a good call to get a 1050 Ti as a temporary graphic card? or Will it be better to wait for the drops of the cards this year?

Invincible

Community Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, as I was wandering around in Youtube watching economic graphic cards reviews, it made me think to get some temporary graphic card (hoping they drop prices early next year).

So the list start with these items.

MSI B250
ZOTAC 1050 Ti 4GB
Ryzen 5 1600
CORSAIR Vegeance LPX 16GB
Silverstone Mini ITX

With power supply, hard drive, windows and an economic monitor, I'll be reaching the $800dlls mark.

But. Will it be a good call to get a 1050 Ti as a temporary graphic card? or Will it be better to wait for the drops of the cards this year?
I would rather wait a bit. The Crypto-Mining will bog down again eventually. Currently, it's becoming more and more ineffiecient to mine BitCoins or AltCoins with a Gaming-GPU. If this trend continues, the used market will be flooded with 1070's 1080's and 1080ti's because many people which are buying them right now or have bought them recently are not gamers and have no use for them once the hash/electricity-cost ratio has turned for a negative outcome.
Also, if the upward trend for the GPU's ends rapidly, the prices will fall because most manufacturers will have an insane stock due to the currently high demand.

GioVtec

Head RSR Designs
Community Member
Reaction score
I would rather wait a bit. The Crypto-Mining will bog down again eventually. Currently, it's becoming more and more ineffiecient to mine BitCoins or AltCoins with a Gaming-GPU. If this trend continues, the used market will be flooded with 1070's 1080's and 1080ti's because many people which are buying them right now or have bought them recently are not gamers and have no use for them once the hash/electricity-cost ratio has turned for a negative outcome.
Also, if the upward trend for the GPU's ends rapidly, the prices will fall because most manufacturers will have an insane stock due to the currently high demand.

Yeah, might be btter to wait, I've seen some drops in crypto currencies.. I hope that the prices for the cards come back down to normal or more :).

But I think I wont be getiing a used one.

Thanks for the feedback

GioVtec

Head RSR Designs
Community Member
Reaction score
And finally my "miniITX" is done, yes, might not be a pro gaming rig, but for 500 dlls :happy: is cheap and good enough to play 1080 most tittles.

Really thank you guys for the feedback, it helped to educate myself on the technical side.
Cheers!
IMG_2624.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread