Project CARS 2 Requesting Tuning Help/Driving Feedback (1 Viewer)

Stitch

Community Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

So I've recently rejoined you guys here at RSR after a prolonged period of absence due to a lack of a functioning computer, which recently I've just rebuilt from the ground up, and the race tonight was good. Though if nothing else it has made me quite aware that I'm, if nothing else, a little off the pace from the average of you guys. I think part of that is down to not knowing what the hell I'm doing with setups, (I generally don't touch them and just do the bare minimum - gears, tyres, downforce, that's about it), but I also noticed a few of you taking different lines to me, which got me thinking that perhaps my driving is a little off.

Either way, point of this thread is me asking if there's any gurus out there that might be willing to spend a little time in practice sessions helping me learn how to setup a car and maybe give a few pointers in terms of driving performance. I think, for the most part, my driving is quite smooth and clean, but perhaps I'm wrong on that so I'd like to get an outsiders perspective. Maybe I brake too soon, or take the wrong line etc, would just like some feedback and tuning advice.

In terms of my tuning knowledge, it's bare minimum, essentially nothing. What camber does, or casters, or radiators, all that, not a clue and so I don't touch it.

Let me know, would be a huge help.

Many thanks,

Stitch

Nighttiger

Community Member
Reaction score
Hey Stitch,

It's always good to learn new things, good thing you are asking:). In regards to setup, currently I am making a step by step tuning guide for rookies which would give you a starting point. I'll share it when it's finished. I would also be willing to help you out a bit with driving lines and how one should "move" the car correctly. Somewhere before induction tonight?

Stitch

Community Member
Reaction score
Hey Stitch,

It's always good to learn new things, good thing you are asking:). In regards to setup, currently I am making a step by step tuning guide for rookies which would give you a starting point. I'll share it when it's finished. I would also be willing to help you out a bit with driving lines and how one should "move" the car correctly. Somewhere before induction tonight?

Oh, that guide actually sounds perfect for me haha, will definitely need to watch out for that. Uhm, sure, if you don't mind? :D I'll send a F/R over and you can get back to me whenever you're free. Thanks!

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Might also be worth watching Yorkie's excellent series of videos :)

Link to complete set

Looks like it might be best to start at Episode 10 :)

I'm not even going to try and help. It is well known round these parts that I don't have a clue what I'm doing, preferring to rely on my patented Cluck's-Random-Slide-o-Matic-Technique™ ;)

Stitch

Community Member
Reaction score
Might also be worth watching Yorkie's excellent series of videos :)

Link to complete set

Looks like it might be best to start at Episode 10 :)

I'm not even going to try and help. It is well known round these parts that I don't have a clue what I'm doing, preferring to rely on my patented Cluck's-Random-Slide-o-Matic-Technique™ ;)

Watching them now ^.^

Mearcat

Community Member
Reaction score
I'm waiting for NiightTigers setup guide as well.

And I am also trying to get a practice session set (voluntary) where we can use these guides in a group session as that is a good way to use them. Will also allow drivers to pick up driving tips as well.

I can help with basic to moderate setup techniques as I know what most elements tends to do, but don't have a guide. I tend to try and talk through a live practice session similar to a race engineer. This does take time, as it does in real life.

As for driving line, not a good person to ask. I struggle with getting cornering speed right, nearly always to fast.

OhHiMarc

Community Member
Reaction score
I'd see that as an option as well. Maybe as part of an induction night or after? I'll get next week tuesday evening off work to have time for the induction and maybe after that we can do a practice session?

OhHiMarc

Community Member
Reaction score
That would be amazing! Looking forward to your work and effort put in to helping us noobs xD

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
As for driving line, not a good person to ask

Its quite simple really, the fastest way around a circuit is to make it as straight as possible which will increase the minimum speed. the corners you have 3 separate points:
  1. Corner Entry - you would position the car to the outer edge of the circuit
  2. Corner Apex - This is the inside of the corner and the tightest and depending on the corner normally where u would start to accelerate
  3. Corner exit - just the opposite of the corner entry, but rather than braking your on the Accelerator. after the Apex, you want to open the steering up and run to the outside of the track to increase traction and acceleration.
Below is an example of how to take a corner:

Here is an example I created for Interlagos Circuit

Hope this helps! :) Feel free to ask about anything else you struggle with! Im always around to help :)

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I'd see that as an option as well. Maybe as part of an induction night or after? I'll get next week tuesday evening off work to have time for the induction and maybe after that we can do a practice session?
Induction is designed to give us an understanding on how a driver drives, we use this to help keep RSR safe from public lobby style racing and ensure all members are able to drive safely and respectfully, its quite a busy session so dont have time to coach drivers however we are always around to provide advice and share our knowledge in racing so i would suggest, join us on teamspeak and we can help with any questions you have. :)

Mearcat

Community Member
Reaction score
Here is an example I created for Interlagos Circuit

Interesting.....

Interlagos.png

The purple would be how I would attack that circuit, but not been on it for a while.

Not saying Jame's is wrong, just illustrating another line. You can try all different lines and may stumble on one that looks totally wierd but blows everyone elses away.

I like the idea though because I get to scribble :D
Now where are all those track maps gone......

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Not saying Jame's is wrong
Good, Because I'm not! ;)

Turn 1 - You take too shallow a line causing you to run wide. small mistake in my drawing as i would stay wider and take a later apex and open up turn 2 which is far more important

Turn 2 - You take such a tight line that will make you slow. Turn 1,2,3 are hugely important to get right as the Exit of Turn 2 you are 100% Acceleration right up until turn 4 so a tight line here really costs you.

Turn 4 - Again you take a tighter line than you should and turn in too early. turn 4-6 is 100% Acceleration

Turn 5-6 straight - don't understand why you would stay on that side of the track when a right hander is coming up, that will again make you slower through turn 6-8. Turn 6 is a corner that hitting the apex isn't hugely important. Half way down that straight u should move across to the left hand side to prepare for Turn 6-8

Turn 7 - more important to hit apex than turn 6 as it will reduce the chances of running wide.

Hope these pointers help! :)

The only time the racing lines are different on most circuits(Interlagos as example) is in wet conditions

Last edited:

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Not saying Jame's is wrong, just illustrating another line.

Well James lines making perfectly sense to be honest. Obviously there is no wrong and right but certainly a right direction and a wrong one.

Your lines in particular making not much sense to me though^^

Darksi

Manager of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I like the way @Mearcat does the final 2 corners. It would give the driver a better run down the front straight, I think.
I think your looking at the track backwards.

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I like the way @Mearcat does the final 2 corners. It would give the driver a better run down the front straight, I think.
just to confirm, Purple is Sector 1. 2nd purple is start of Sector 2

OhHiMarc

Community Member
Reaction score
Wait, so all this time I was looking at this track (that I don't know) and thougth the track go right, but you go left (looking at the picture)... Lol now the line makes sense

I already thought it was weird that james put the green line in the straight on the wrong side, but now that @Darksi says so... Fail!

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Wait, so all this time I was looking at this track (that I don't know) and thougth the track go right, but you go left (looking at the picture)... Lol now the line makes sense

I already thought it was weird that james put the green line in the straight on the wrong side, but now that @Darksi says so... Fail!
The circuit is an Anti-Clockwise layout with the Pit lane being at the bottom of that image

Users who are viewing this thread