Rig Build Part #2 (1 Viewer)

Bassetts

Community Member
Reaction score
Rig Build Part #2

Stage 1 of the build can be found here

Eviction to the Garage

After sitting pretty in the office of over a year, we had visitors from over the pond which required me to move the rig into the garage as a temporary measure. During the process and lots of hard lifting (these things get very heavy and cumbersome to move) I quickly came the conclusion that I didn't want to be moving the rig again anytime soon. At this point I decided to try and make a permanent home for it in the garage.

First port of call was to get something comfortable onto the hard floor so I opted for some Foam Garage Mats to cover the floor, these worked really well being easy to clean and also acting as a bit of an insulator from the concrete floor.

With the rig in the garage I now had no monitors or TV to use, I wanted to keep the desktop real estate of my two 24” 1920x1200 monitors from the office but didn’t really want to occupy that much space in the garage. So to keep the desktop real estate whist keeping the space usage down I opted for a single 4k 27” LG 27UD58 this was one of the cheaper IPS based panela. I went the IPS route as it would not really be used for gaming but more desktop based activities where IPS had better colour reproduction and viewing angles.

Exploring upgrade options.

As the rig was now in the garage the noise and vibration wouldn't carry into the rest of the house I now had a bit more flexibility on the types of upgrades I could look at in this constantly evolving project. My Fanatec CSW v2 had served me well for almost two years, with only the customary high pitch electronics whine that is common on the CSW v2 to fault it. Since being installed in the rig it has been subjected to five 24/12hr endurance races and easily over 10,000 laps during the last year and has been rock solid throughout.

I always wanted to RMA the CSW v2 for the electronics whine, but in the busy schedule of the endurance racing this year I just couldn't find the time to be without a wheel for more than a couple of days. I'd always said to myself that one day that I'd go to a direct drive system.

The jump to a DD wheel comes with many knock on expenses above and beyond the motor/controller systems themselves, alongside that you need to source a wheel, shifter and button electronics to go alongside it and these can also get almost as expensive as the base motor/controller themselves.

I know recently a lot of people have been converting their Fanatec wheels rims using conversion kits so that they can then mount these onto the DD kits and this was something I was had been looking at. My main concern here was this was a semi-permanent change to the wheel rim so once a wheel was converted it wouldn’t be easy to re-attach to the CSW v2 which I planned to keep for the children and having the portability between the two was high on my list of criteria for a replacement drive system.

Whilst I was investigating the options for mounting the Fanatec rims to a DD wheel, I came across a UK sim-racing site that does lots of modifications for Sim-racing gear. In a chance conversation about which quick release system they would recommend for attaching to a Fanatec wheel they offered to manufacture a custom made adapter for a DD wheel. This adapter would allow me to keep the Fanatec Wheel RIM’s in their original configuration and replicate the mounting mechanism of the CSW v2 onto a DD system including preserving the operation of the shifters and buttons.

And below is the custom adapter that got the ball rolling

DSCN9257.jpeg

At this point all the blockers that were holding me back had been resolved via the custom conversation adapter, this would allow the purchase of the DD system without the big expense of purchasing a new wheel for the DD kit.

Choosing a Direct Drive System

I had been looking at the DD market evolve over the last year there were a couple of turnkey products available. At the high end you have the Leo-Bodnar SimSteering series of wheels and at a cheaper price point the SimXperience Accuforce based series.

Additionally there is another option that is popular in a lot of the Sim-Racing forums and that is referred to as the OSW (Open Sim Wheel) eco system. This is basically an open source project where different motor controllers, associated electronics and motors can be combined in a DIY based project. Historically this has meant a lot of DIY to bring such a project into life and can be quite complex to the non-electronic engineer. In the last year this has become much simpler with the release of the SimuCube controller board. This board integrates a lot of the elements of the previous systems into one controller board designed specifically for simulation based environments such as Sim-Racing and all that is then required is to add a supported motor and a PSU.

With this change we also saw a lot of Sim-Racing companies starting to sell either a kit form of such systems or a fully assembled version. Whilst still a bit of a DIY project most of the complexity in these kits has been removed and this makes it accessible to a wider market.

Two of the more regarded EU companies that sell such kits are SimRacingBay and Sim-plicity, knowing that the kits are pretty much made from the same core components and both companies are generally held in good regard I opted for the UK based supplier as this came out about 20% cheaper for me.

I opted for the larger more powerful of the two systems on offer, the SW28 with the difference here being the peak torque output being in the 28-30Nm range compared to the 20Nm of the smaller SW20. For those in the know the SW28 uses the large MiGE motor and the SW20 uses the small MiGe motor, for reference the CSW V2 is around 7Nm.

The order process was smooth and straight forward, Sim-pli.city build to order so have a 3-4 week lead time vs SimRacingBay which seem to ship within a few days. I was happy to wait a few weeks for it to arrive as we had the 24Hrs of Spa approaching and I didn’t want it to arrive around that time and tempting me to install it so close to an endurance race where consistency and feeling comfortable with your setup are key.

Re-enforcing the Chassis

Whilst waiting for the Custom adapter and SW28 to arrive I decided that the chassis of the rig needed a few minor changes to improve its rigidity for the increased torque and loads the new wheel would place on it. Previously the rig had been designed to be collapsible but this did mean there was some flex at the connection point where the two pieces of the rig attached. With the rig now being in a permanent location I decided to upgrade the two main pillars from 40x40 to 80x40.

Below is a picture before the upgrade was started.

DSCN9258.JPG

This is one of those moments where you think to yourself, why did I start this.

DSCN9266.JPG

One of the great things with 80/20 is that the kids love to get involved helping put everything together, here you can see them attaching the vibration absorbing rubber mounts onto some oak planks to stop the floor deadening the vibrations from the transducers.

DSCN9270.JPG

And a quick shot of the chassis in it's re-enforced state waiting for the SW28 to arrive.

DSCN9279.JPG

Last edited:

Bassetts

Community Member
Reaction score
Delivery of the Direct Drive System

About a week before the expected delivery date of the SW28, I had an e-mail to say that it had been shipped and within a couple of days all of the equipment had been delivered.

Below is all of the components in the assembled state.

DSCN9282.JPG

With the motor mounted into the rig you can see the custom Fanatec adapter in all it's glory.

DSCN9283.jpg

And here is a side shot showing the Fanatec Formula Rim mounted onto the adapter.

DSCN9284.jpg

And of course my usual attention to detail with the cable mounting and routing (ignore the button box, it's a work in progress :) )

DSCN9285.JPG

And here you can see the system, transducer amplifier and the SW28 controller box (the silver one) all sitting together in the corner of the garage.
DSCN9295.jpg

Sim-Plicity do a 1 hour online setup and configuration session to help you get the system up and running. As I had already done lots of reading on the SimuCube based systems I hooked it up and did the initial setup myself, which although isn't rocket science you do need to be some what engineering inclined. I opted to use the hour setup session to go over a few areas of the system that I had open questions on in finer detail. Ollie was very knowledgeable and provided a lot of feedback and information.

Last edited:

Bassetts

Community Member
Reaction score
Also around the same time as getting the SW28 I also installed a seat slider so that it's easy to adjust the seating position for the kids to use. The kids definitely got a kick when I told them that this is not a toy and if you get scared or if the wheel starts jumping around just hit that big red emergency stop button :)

DSCN9286.jpg

A shot of it all installed and running, including an air intake from outside to pull some nice cold air in when running in the Oculus Rift.

DSCN9294.jpg

And a final shot of it all installed and working ready to secure a P2 finish at the 6hrs of the Glen with @Corbs

DSCN9296.JPG

I'm going to post an update in a couple of weeks, trying to summarise the experience of going from a CSW v2 to a Direct Drive system.

Last edited:

2scoops

RSR Family
Community Member
Reaction score
Amazing job, it's a work of art. Can you come round and tidy up my cables :) What cable clips are those, looks like they are bolted into the 80/20.

falcon2081

Founding Member
Community Member
Reaction score
What @Bassetts forgot to mention was that I was the inspiration for a lot of these setup changes he's made lol. Nice pics buddy! I need to post my build blog but I'm just too lazy haha. :)

Gxbbs

Community Member
Reaction score
What @Bassetts forgot to mention was that I was the inspiration for a lot of these setup changes he's made lol. Nice pics buddy! I need to post my build blog but I'm just too lazy haha. :)
HURRY UP!!!!

Bassetts

Community Member
Reaction score
Amazing job, it's a work of art. Can you come round and tidy up my cables :) What cable clips are those, looks like they are bolted into the 80/20.

These are the cable clips, they screw into the cable nuts that slot in the 80/20 I did have some from motedis but these were just like a snap in type connection and they never really stay in any where near as solid as these.

http://www.aluminium-profile.co.uk/acatalog/Cable-Brackets-2.html

I would say you were more the catalyst @falcon2081. It's quite funny how we have been going down the same paths on a lot of this stuff lately :) and it's great to get the feedback of someone that's going from the same Fanatec gear to the Direct Drive gear, it really helps with the whole process and I always value your feedback.

That's another reason I like to do these updates, I've drawn a lot of my inspiration from other forums and it's good to pull this information together. From this people can see the kind of things that work, the things that don't and the challenges that you may not have appreciated at the start of your own journey.

Last edited:

2scoops

RSR Family
Community Member
Reaction score
Gonna be getting me some of those :)

Might seem like a stupid question, but what have you used to secure the cable to the bracket?

Bassetts

Community Member
Reaction score
Gonna be getting me some of those :)

Might seem like a stupid question, but what have you used to secure the cable to the bracket?

Do you mean the Velcro strapping, if so I just by a 25m roll of the stuff and then cut it off the roll as per requirements, it's really handy stuff use it all the time at home and work for tidying cables.

Can get in various widths from 10mm upwards, I find 16mm is a good width as it has a bit more surface area to grip and keep heavier cables under control.

I just trimmed the width down on some of this to pass through the clips, you could use tie wraps, which would be a bit more secure, but these do a good job and are easy to remove and re-attach if needed for maintenance, and you can't really over tighten these and damage cables like you can with tie wraps. (Also the ends of this won't rip your hands and arms apart like tie-wraps do when you catch against them after you have cut the excess off.)

https://www.mpdhookandloop.com/velcro-brand-one-wrap-16mm-tape-black?description=on&model=on/

If you are ever planning on ordering little bits, let's chat the postage is a flat charge of like £15 from KJM, so if we are after little bits probably easier to order as a whole and then just post the other bits to each other as it's a lot cheaper that way.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread