Split 1 - R5: Silverstone - 13th Mar 2017 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatatorJohn

RSR Academy
Reaction score
One though to the weather, I simulated a 20 laps race with the condition set to Fog -> Fog with rain. And my Simulation only had a little bit rain in the last 4 laps. (nearly no rain, it had almost no effect on my lap times)
If I set the Condition only to Fog with rain, then its raining much more than in the Sakitto Race. (I'm about 7s slower)
Is this an expected behaviour because the condition transition is based on a random function? So I can expect a race where the weather transitions in the first few laps to somewhat heavy rain until the end, and It's also possible I see only a few drops in the whole race?
Anyway, the more rain the more fun :D
I did a similar test and got the same result. I think that's because the way it's implemented, the slot IS the transition from Fog to Fog with rain, so it is slowly transitioning, only from the middle of the race towards the end, where it reach the state 'Fog with rain'.

My guess, for @t0daY weather settings, is that to have a race that is actually half dry, half rain, you need something like this:
-Slot1: Fog.
-Slot2: Fog -> Fog with rain.
-Slot3: Fog with rain.

Btw, the AI takes the 'longer' exit. So maybe it might worth a clarification in the briefing, as those training offline might be confused if we use the 'short'. ;)

MelBonkers

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Just did a runin Fog and a run in Fog with rain. I was doing low 56's, high 55's comfortabley in dry and low 1m00 in the rain with full fuel. I have to say the fog makes it quite tough in the Rift as you seem to loose some detail in the graphics (with the "lower" resolution of the Rift). But in the rain, that's something entirely different :D. As you look around the rain drops on the visor/Rift move with you and that reduces sight a little bit too. Will be a tough race :D

Dama_The_Crow

Community Member
Reaction score
Sorry but I can't drive tonight. Had bunch of work these days, and night shift tonight........ :(

PatatorJohn

RSR Academy
Reaction score
-Slot1: Fog.
-Slot2: Fog with rain.
-Slot3: Fog with rain.
Well, with that way of filling slots, I've only got a few drops in the last laps, so I've no idea how to make it rain with a transition at the middle of the race. It looks like a bug to me...

SillySausage

Community Member
Reaction score
Well, with that way of filling slots, I've only got a few drops in the last laps, so I've no idea how to make it rain with a transition at the middle of the race. It looks like a bug to me...
I've had it start to rain on lap 12 and much later as well, I think it might just be random.

Jonno

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Lol i did a few runs with 2 weather slots and it turns out its as unpredictable as the british weather. Kind of fitting really as its at silverstone you will need a wet set up. My first run the rain came with 5 laps to go. 2nd run came in about lap 20ish 3rd run came in earlyer at lap 13 and as you can see others are having different times for rain too. Going to be a battle of whitts this race.. That means im out before it starts lol...

MelBonkers

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Ok guys, I might not make it this evening. My daughter is having her birthday party until 20:00 or so. If I can make it in time back home, I'll join you. If I can't make a qualifying run, I'll try to join the Q-session and just and start at the back.

B

Blue Monkey

Swiss Sandwich with Salmon between it XD

MelBonkers

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Qualified 4th, lost a couple of places after people muscled there way through, was driving on P9, car warped in my car at T2 and wrecked my car in the process, performed a pitstop to repair the damage, rejoined with the leading group, could keep up with the pace and was even faster, tried to get back on the leading lap, got told to keep distance, recorded a brilliant battle between Patatorjohn and MickeyTT, performed a pitstop when the rain started, finished 14th.............nuff said.

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I've sacked my pit crew. Again. If anybody knows of any spare pit crews available, I'm hiring.

I really don't know what else I can do. I set up my strategy. 4 soft tyres. Made sure it was active, because it was reset to the default strategy in the switch from practice session to quali (whilst still in the dedi server). Came in to the pits and went out wondering where all the grip went. Surely it hadn't rained THAT much whilst I was in the pits. Hmmm, maybe the tyres are just cold. 1 lap of sliding all over the place and I thought "no, tyres can't still be cold, let's see what the telemetry says".

Well f***

Yep, the pit crew had decided to ignore my wishes and stuck the Prime tyre on.

Back to the pits. Didn't change any settings, just let the pit crew do their thing. Got the right tyres this time but my race was done. Had there not been 3 or 4 laps left, I would have thrown in the towel there and then.

I'll be doing the last race but only because I do try and finish what I start, no matter what I threaten to do half-way through. I just won't be making any effort whatsoever because, well, what's the point?

EDIT : Forgot to say one other thing. I want to apologise to Suomy if I put him off in the last couple of laps. Unfortunately, I had super fresh tyres and I simply had more pace than you and had Laiders breathing down my neck. I realised afterwards that I had actually flicked my microphone to off, so you wouldn't have heard me asking if i could come past to unlap myself. Again, my apologies if trying to get past you was a distraction you could have done without, so late into the race.

Last edited:

SillySausage

Community Member
Reaction score
I've sacked my pit crew. Again. If anybody knows of any spare pit crews available, I'm hiring.

I really don't know what else I can do. I set up my strategy. 4 soft tyres. Made sure it was active, because it was reset to the default strategy in the switch from practice session to quali (whilst still in the dedi server). Came in to the pits and went out wondering where all the grip went. Surely it hadn't rained THAT much whilst I was in the pits. Hmmm, maybe the tyres are just cold. 1 lap of sliding all over the place and I thought "no, tyres can't still be cold, let's see what the telemetry says".

Well f***

Yep, the pit crew had decided to ignore my wishes and stuck the Prime tyre on.

Back to the pits. Didn't change any settings, just let the pit crew do their thing. Got the right tyres this time but my race was done. Had there not been 3 or 4 laps left, I would have thrown in the towel there and then.

I'll be doing the last race but only because I do try and finish what I start, no matter what I threaten to do half-way through. I just won't be making any effort whatsoever because, well, what's the point?
Maybe the last possible option is to run softs until the very last lap you can pit then if you get primes it will only be for one lap?

PatatorJohn

RSR Academy
Reaction score
could keep up with the pace and was even faster, tried to get back on the leading lap, got told to keep distance...
Thanks for having being patient there, I understand your position must have been frustrating at that moment. I'm not sure what our attitude should have be. But it sounds right to me that the lapped car stay away from the battle. I was also faster but just couldn't pass safely. And to be honest, having you so close didn't help much ;)

ramiboo

Community Member
Reaction score
Video From last night can be found in the video thread here

Probably the most enjoyable race of the season for me so far. I'm still pretty uncomfortable with the car, and my setup is not great. I had to really work for the 6th position last night. Again I was in battles with @MikeyTT, @PatatorJohn, @MelBonkers, to name a few.

Some slight contact with @PatatorJohn gave me 7% aero damage at about lap 19 so I decided to undercut and see how things shook out. My tyre change meant the tyre pressures where a bit lower so was running a bit hotter for a few laps longer than I wanted before the rain came, but I really didn't have any issues from that and still had plenty of tyre left for when the rain came. I seemed to have good pace in the wet but a silly spin dropped me from 5th to 6th and gave a nice little race on the last lap to try to get @PatatorJohn before the flag. Alas it wasn't to be.

Looking forward to the last round because......... its the last round :D

MikeyTT

Community Member
Reaction score
Posted my video into the Video thread too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread