Anti-virus/security suites - free or paid? (1 Viewer)

Tom

Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Hello all, So I have my annual Bitdefender Total Security licence coming up for renewal. I like how comprehensive it is, how it's 'all under 1 roof', and that it covers my PC, MacBook and Android phone. I can afford it, but I'm aware that some free versions of other software do as good of a job.

I'm curious about what you lot use, as there's a good mix of IT professionals and enthusiasts around.

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Personally, I am using nothing. The best protection is to be minded which website you are actively visiting. But that is only me^^

SillySausage

Community Member
Reaction score
I also haven’t used any for a few years now and never had a problem.

Dutchtastic

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I'm with T0day, I don't run any virus protections.
Being mindful of which websites you enter and what you are downloading from time to time is pretty much the best virus protection you can have.

Pamellaaa

Founding Member
Community Member
Reaction score
As everyone else has said, keep a backup of anything important and be sensible, worked for me for several years.

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Bitdefender still has a high reputation for being good at what it's designed to do. It can be a little too aggressive at times (it was responsible for lots of people being unable to play pCARS1 - and pCARS2 during development - for example, flagging it as a false positive) but provided you're happy with how it works then I'd stick with it.

I use Norton Security and it's what I install for customers. The simplicity of the 'install and forget', coupled with only just slightly worse protection (in tests) than Bitdefender, means it's the best choice for my customers - the less crap that appears, the less the software cocks up, the better. Before anybody goes off on one, Norton WAS crap back in the 2005-2008 period - and I had one of their programmers admit to me as such, at a rather boozy trade dinner (I might have sworn a lot about their product that night :D) but they turned themselves around. Since 2009, I have dealt with 3 infections on customer PCs that had Norton. 1 didn't actually have Norton running (they didn't realise a Windows update had knocked it out), 1 hadn't updated it for 3 months and got hit by a bogus advert on a trusted web-site (so those that think "stick to trusted web-sites and you'll be fine" really need to think again) and the other, well, that was a 60+ gentleman who was desperate to view some boobs and ignored warnings from Norton, Google Chrome and Windows that he was being a fool trying to open the site he was trying to open! Otherwise, across the entire spectrum of users that I deal with, not one failure of the software to do its job.

B

Blue Monkey

I used Avast in the past. Generally I had a very good experience, but since Windows 10 it interferes with the system waaaaaay to much, leading to a lot of system problems.

Since a few weeks I use nothing but the integrated Windows Defender. No trouble at all sofar.
I strongly recommend you though to use a good adblocker (atm I use uBlock Origin) to block some threats coming from ads.

Personally, I am using nothing. The best protection is to be minded which website you are actively visiting. But that is only me^^
Yep and that's why I can do that. Some people I know I can't entrust it with.

Hujkis

Community Member
Reaction score
Same here. With SELinux enabled on all my devices. Except for the gaming windows10 PC, where the included 'defender' should be enough, if you're sensible.

steveg200

RSR Academy
Reaction score
I only use Windows defender which seems pretty good,also run a scan with malware bytes every couple of weeks.

Ranjanado

Community Member
Reaction score
I did use bitdefender. Just had it uninstalled for a couple of months as the performance of my computer dropped considerably. Uninstalled it and uninstalled Microsoft Office and its back to top speed. I was thinking of re-installing Bitdefender back on. Too many risky stuff happening online. You can never be too safe

FuBii

RSR Academy
Reaction score
I've used NOD/ ESET Internet Security since I was a kid. Always caught everything, never had an issue with it. Just create a new email account each month & free trials.
Work just recently bought some new laptops which came with a years protection from Bullguard. A software I hadn't even heard of till I got given the things to sort... Find out how that goes.

Ashnoom

Community Member
Reaction score
Yes, untill the Ad-Company behind your favourite website is hacked, which you white listed in you Ad-Blocker because you wanted to give that site a bit of income, and you visit that site and get a virus anyway.

Yes, sounds like good protection to me. Or when using a programing, for ex. CCleaner, which somehow got hacked and whose automatic update contained a virus which you automatically install due to the, oh-so-easy-ness of, automatic updates.

I prefer a virus scanner over any best practice methods.

I am using (payed) ESET32

Invincible

Community Member
Reaction score
I'm sailing pretty good so far with "being cautious" + Windiws defender. Whenever I was using any AV software in the past, I had nothing but abysmal performance and boot times and basically a ton of problems with other programs and games. I tried Norton, Avira, Kaspersky so far. Not worth the hassle for me.

Users who are viewing this thread