FOV Chat (1 Viewer)

Mark

Community Member
Reaction score
Hi chaps. After a bit of advice on all this FOV talk if I may?
I've checked with two online calculators and I'm getting recommended figures of between 46 and 52. I currently run 104 which is way off!
First of the pics below is FOV 104 which I've used for as long as I can remember, second image is FOV set at 49 which just felt like I was sitting on the front axle when I drove.
Which of these looks about right to you? FYI I'm 44 inches from a 43 inch screen.
1.jpg
2.jpg

FuBii

RSR Academy
Reaction score
photo taken just slightly above my eye line but yeah... The close fov helps.
DSC_0232.JPG

Mark

Community Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I guess I will change it and try to get used to it.

Dama_The_Crow

Community Member
Reaction score
I've checked with two online calculators and I'm getting recommended figures of between 46 and 52. I currently run 104 which is way off!
First of the pics below is FOV 104 which I've used for as long as I can remember, second image is FOV set at 49 which just felt like I was sitting on the front axle when I drove.
Which of these looks about right to you? FYI I'm 44 inches from a 43 inch screen.
View attachment 1508 View attachment 1509

Definitely that top picture (higher FOV) is no go for sim racing. I know, because, in the beginning of my sim racing experience I had that :) In that case you can't se anything in the road and it is like you are playing on the mobile phone.

Lower FOV (bottom picture) feels more natural view, and when I lowered my FOV while ago, immediately I was faster 2 secs per lap, because you can better see apexes and everything else.

I see that you have that TV mounted on the wall (?), and I assume that pedals are placed to the wall (?).. In that case you can assemble cockpit in the way that you buy some kind (or make) wall mounted bracket that can extend TV towards wheel (as much closer to your eyes) when you driving. That way you will have larger FOV without loosing "real life" driving perception ingame.

ramiboo

Community Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1508 View attachment 1509
It takes a bit of getting used to, but the 2nd is better/more realistic. That looks like you are at Monza just before the Lesmo's. The things that make me like the 2nd FOV is that the straight ahead of you looks about as long as it should look. The 1st picture makes me think you have a mile of straight in front of you.

Last edited:

Mark

Community Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice all. If I find 2 seconds from this I will be very pleased indeed!

The monitor is on a home made alloy frame and I should be able to slide it closer to me. The pedals, seat and wheel are on a separate wooden frame. Also very home made but does the job.
20170517_161200.jpg

I will be making the necessary adjustments later today really hope this makes me quicker now.

falcon2081

Founding Member
Community Member
Reaction score
Quicker is relative. I would say you will be more consistent with the FOV adjustments. I did it when I came back from deployment and could not believe just how high my FOV originally was.

Last edited:

Mark

Community Member
Reaction score
Quicker is relative. I would say you will be more consistent with the FOV adjustments. That should translate I did it when I came back from deployment and could not believe just how high my FOV originally was.
I'm still blaming thusbfor my lack of pace. Please don't pee all over my fire just yet.:sorry:

Dama_The_Crow

Community Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice all. If I find 2 seconds from this I will be very pleased indeed!

The monitor is on a home made alloy frame and I should be able to slide it closer to me. The pedals, seat and wheel are on a separate wooden frame. Also very home made but does the job.
View attachment 1517
I will be making the necessary adjustments later today really hope this makes me quicker now.

Pull TV panel all the way to the wheel base almost to touch it. Then see how many cm is TV fom your eyes and insert data here to see what FOV value to set up and that's it.... best it can be.

Then with keys on keyboard (see which one of them is assigned to seat movement in game) set your "seat position" in game.

G

Gopher04

Not convinced about FOV calculators, if I put my setup through that one Dama, lets say using R3E, my setting would be 0.5x ingame, that would mean I'd be looking through the glass and nothing else, and everything would feel really slow, I think going by what eye feels more natural with works better, in R3E I use 0.9x and use the seat adjustment for the correct position.

stolnikas

Community Member
Reaction score
Correct FOV helped me a lot. What i noticed right after was that i was able to save slides and oversteers much easier and that helped with consistency. I now run 3 TV setup and it is very nice to have realistic view of things as they were in real world. Will post my rig once i do some photos :)

falcon2081

Founding Member
Community Member
Reaction score
The best FOV calculator that I've used is this one by EdRacing. Give that one a try.

Dama_The_Crow

Community Member
Reaction score
Not convinced about FOV calculators, if I put my setup through that one Dama, lets say using R3E, my setting would be 0.5x ingame, that would mean I'd be looking through the glass and nothing else, and everything would feel really slow, I think going by what eye feels more natural with works better, in R3E I use 0.9x and use the seat adjustment for the correct position.

Of course... That calculated FOV can just be a way to know around what value to count on setting it up. For my setup (27" monitor on 70 cm distance) said that FOV should be 46° but I put it on 57 and it worked fine. 46°would be overkill for not viewing anything.

In R3E I set up 0.6 and with seat adjustment I moved camera far it can go backwards so I get up with this:

So if you want correct FOV that is natural and to be able to see wide picture, buy VR headset or put monitor 40 cm from eyes :D

Jonno

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Since reading this iv changed my FOV. Not only did i go forward abit but i raised the height also. It now feels like what i would actually see if i was sat in the car. I have to admit i was slightly unsure if it would work different but it has. my driving has really improved...

G

Gopher04

What I don't understand is why when you have a smaller FOV it seems to effect the steering input, it becomes hyper sensitive and for me harder to control.

Dama_The_Crow

Community Member
Reaction score
Because you have more sharp viewing angle and you don't see much in front of you, and from that it seems that your steering is different, but it is not.

I agree that small FOV setting in some way is "killing" immersion, but it is necessary for more precise steering. So I thing that best solution, for people that have small monitor diagonal, or distance from eyes, that find "sweet spot" for FOV. Not mathematically accurate by calculation, but near that.

When I tried Oculus Rift, that was a true blast. Large FOV, and again so realistic distance and speed.

Users who are viewing this thread