iRacing How to begin in iRacing (1 Viewer)

SteveO916

Community Member
Reaction score
I've just resubscribed, realised I already have D licence from my last stint on iRacing. Haven't been brave enough to enter a race yet, I need to do some testing to get used to it again. Going to stick with the MX5 for a little while.
you'll do just fine, i've had iRacing since black friday, done nearly 100 races and got a "B" licence - and i was born to be slower than you...

Owfier

RSR Academy
Reaction score
I installed the JRT - Joel Real Timing and tried it out in a testing session, but I didn't see any difference so I am not sure if it didn't work or if I did something wrong. Any tips?

grobi0815

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I installed the JRT - Joel Real Timing and tried it out in a testing session, but I didn't see any difference so I am not sure if it didn't work or if I did something wrong. Any tips?
@Cornworld is our JRT pro and the only one I know who's using it.

grobi0815

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Do you guys just use the default overlay than?
Some of us are using kapps, some racelabs. the good version of kapps costs 2,49€/month, racelabs is for free atm. I will post the links later.

Owfier

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Some of us are using kapps, some racelabs. the good version of kapps costs 2,49€/month, racelabs is for free atm. I will post the links later.
Do you always need to pay for kapps

Havocc

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Did first oval race, managed to end 6 after many wreckfests, don't know how i managed to finish without incidents :D

David Siska

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Have you used it before with your iracing account? It has a 30 days free trial. When it expires you have to buy a license.

Owfier

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Have you used it before with your iracing account? It has a 30 days free trial. When it expires you have to buy a license.
Nope it never used it before. But I am using racelabs now so all is fine thanks! ;)

Born2BSlow

Community Member
Reaction score
I'm up to Class C license now, keep dipping in and out though. C3.7 with a 1490 rating.

RdMracer

Community Member
Reaction score
At class C you can actually start racing instead of dodging idiots.

Born2BSlow

Community Member
Reaction score
At class C you can actually start racing instead of dodging idiots.
Yes but I became the idiot, first class c race, radical at silverstone. Qualified P3 but i'd never practiced a start. Big mistake, spun up the rears ended up sideways and then my race ended 1 metre over the start line upsdide down....devastated! Felt like a right numpty!
-107 and -10 safety...

Taorminator

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Yes but I became the idiot, first class c race, radical at silverstone. Qualified P3 but i'd never practiced a start. Big mistake, spun up the rears ended up sideways and then my race ended 1 metre over the start line upsdide down....devastated! Felt like a right numpty!
-107 and -10 safety...
Don't feel too bad, that s the thing with iracing you get some of these moments of embarrassment but if you dont think too much about the number/rating that is less now than before the race, you just have to hop on on the next race and learn from the mistakes ;) trust me there s worse like binning the car after 5h50m of an endurance race or missing the pit entry and running out of fuel ;) (my personal sad experience)

xIbraGiox

Community Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, i have bought me a one year subsciption for the first time ever for iracing. And after a few races i think i need much help to understand how it all works besides the license classification and where i can do quick pit stops settings, activate an track overlay and tire temp or damage. I´am coming from PC2, sooo i will be a bloody rookie in iracing..... Be patience :D

CatchAGlimpse

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Hi guys, i have bought me a one year subsciption for the first time ever for iracing. And after a few races i think i need much help to understand how it all works besides the license classification and where i can do quick pit stops settings, activate an track overlay and tire temp or damage. I´am coming from PC2, sooo i will be a bloody rookie in iracing..... Be patience :D
Loads of information is available for all of your questions. Maybe a good place to start would be recently updated starter guides from iRacing themselves - https://www.iracing.com/getting-started/

Overlays - there are several but many of us here either use RaceLabApps (https://racelab.app/) or Kapps (https://kapps.kutu.ru/). These include better designed standings, relative, fuel calculator, track maps etc. In iRacing you only get live fuel readings, you only get updated tire wear when you enter your pit box (this can be seen on the black box ingame, by pressing one of the F keys, probably F5/F6 from memory).

To answer some other questions, I've copied and pasted an email I sent to another RSR member to assist him when he joined iRacing. Some of this may be slightly out of date given the iRacing UI app is much better these days.

License Promotion / Demotion
  • To gain a license promotion you must complete at least 4 races at your level e.g. 4 x Rookie races, or 4 x D-license races and had a safety above 3.0. If your rating is above this when the season ends (a season is 12 weeks long) you will get promotion at the end of the season. You can achieve automatic promotion without waiting if your safety rating once your rating is above 4.5 (I think it is 4.5, could be 4.0). I went from Rookie -> A license over 10 days so its very much achievable if you stay clean and put in the laps. You can see this progress easily on the Account -> My Profile page
  • You will get demoted from a license class if your safety rating falls below 1.0.
  • You can compete in a higher class than your license if your Safety Rating is above 4.0 (e.g. if you are D4.0 or above, you can complete in C-License events).

Safety Rating / Incident Points
  • Your safety rating will be calculated during/after each official practice, qualifying and race session. Ideally you want to finish the race with 0 incidents to maximize the safety rating gain.
  • The longer the race, the easier it will be to gain safety rating. (more clean laps = more safety rating)
  • Time Trial events also count towards your safety rating - these are scheduled TT events with a set number of laps to complete. This also contributes towards you TTRating but no towards your iRating. Time trial events are often a nice way to boost the safety rating if you've taken a battering in some recent races.
  • Your formation and cooldown laps also count towards your safety rating, so don't cross the finish line and then smash it into somebody else or the wall. Just pull over safely at the side of the road and exit the sim.
  • If you are involved in contact, regardless of who hit who, all racers involved will get the same incident points.
  • Each event will have a specified incident limit, if your number of incidents exceeds the total allowed during that event, you will get a 25s stop and go penalty with another stop and go penalty for every 10 incidents after this point.
  • Incident points breakdown:
    1x - Off track / out of track limits
    2 x - Loss of control (e.g. spin on track)
    0-4x - Contact with another car. 0x being very light contact such as bump drafting, 2x for a small touch and 4x for a bigger crash (doesn't take much to get a 4x though). If you have contact with another driver and you get an initial 2x for the contact but then he ends up having a bigger crash because of it a few seconds later, this will get upgraded to a 4x.
Liveries
  • You can Trading Paints to add custom liveries to your cars/helmet/suits - https://www.tradingpaints.com/
  • You need to link this to your iRacing account (so sign-up before you have your account active isn't possible)
  • You can search and easily add any livery on the site (this includes some rather great designs for most famous liveries you can think of and loads of custom ones (e.g. all the 2020 F1 liveries are in there for most of the formula cars)
  • If a livery comes with a .mip file, this is the paint shine layer (e.g. Matt/Gloss etc.), you can apply this within Trading Paints once you have imported the main .tga file.
  • RSR liveries are available from the Resources section on the forum (may want to ask Staff members for access on the forum)
Miscellaneous
  • Informational website about the upcoming iRacing schedule: https://iracing-week-planner.tmo.lol/
  • The track rotation happens every Tuesday.
  • All Rookie series should have "free to use" tracks, so no purchase should be necessary until you get to D class minimum.
  • You can add "Friends" by going to Account -> My Racers.
  • You can view every single session/result you have participated in through Account -> My Series Results or Account -> My Profile
  • Informational website about the popularity of each series from each day/week: https://www.iracingstats.com/
  • There is an option in CrewChief to automatically set the fuel on a pit stop (very handy indeed when racing on your own in a series that requires a pit stop). This seems to give you an extra lap or two of fuel so no need to worry.
  • You can use the audio chat in game to chat to other drivers

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask :)

Last edited:

xIbraGiox

Community Member
Reaction score
Loads of information is available for all of your questions. Maybe a good place to start would be recently updated starter guides from iRacing themselves - https://www.iracing.com/getting-started/

Overlays - there are several but many of us here either use RaceLabApps (https://racelab.app/) or Kapps (https://kapps.kutu.ru/). These include better designed standings, relative, fuel calculator, track maps etc. In iRacing you only get live fuel readings, you only get updated tire wear when you enter your pit box (this can be seen on the black box ingame, by pressing one of the F keys, probably F5/F6 from memory).

To answer some other questions, I've copied and pasted an email I sent to another RSR member to assist him when he joined iRacing. Some of this may be slightly out of date given the iRacing UI app is much better these days.

License Promotion / Demotion
  • To gain a license promotion you must complete at least 4 races at your level e.g. 4 x Rookie races, or 4 x D-license races and had a safety above 3.0. If your rating is above this when the season ends (a season is 12 weeks long) you will get promotion at the end of the season. You can achieve automatic promotion without waiting if your safety rating once your rating is above 4.5 (I think it is 4.5, could be 4.0). I went from Rookie -> A license over 10 days so its very much achievable if you stay clean and put in the laps. You can see this progress easily on the Account -> My Profile page
  • You will get demoted from a license class if your safety rating falls below 1.0.
  • You can compete in a higher class than your license if your Safety Rating is above 4.0 (e.g. if you are D4.0 or above, you can complete in C-License events).

Safety Rating / Incident Points
  • Your safety rating will be calculated during/after each official practice, qualifying and race session. Ideally you want to finish the race with 0 incidents to maximize the safety rating gain.
  • The longer the race, the easier it will be to gain safety rating. (more clean laps = more safety rating)
  • Time Trial events also count towards your safety rating - these are scheduled TT events with a set number of laps to complete. This also contributes towards you TTRating but no towards your iRating. Time trial events are often a nice way to boost the safety rating if you've taken a battering in some recent races.
  • Your formation and cooldown laps also count towards your safety rating, so don't cross the finish line and then smash it into somebody else or the wall. Just pull over safely at the side of the road and exit the sim.
  • If you are involved in contact, regardless of who hit who, all racers involved will get the same incident points.
  • Each event will have a specified incident limit, if your number of incidents exceeds the total allowed during that event, you will get a 25s stop and go penalty with another stop and go penalty for every 10 incidents after this point.
  • Incident points breakdown:
    1x - Off track / out of track limits
    2 x - Loss of control (e.g. spin on track)
    0-4x - Contact with another car. 0x being very light contact such as bump drafting, 2x for a small touch and 4x for a bigger crash (doesn't take much to get a 4x though). If you have contact with another driver and you get an initial 2x for the contact but then he ends up having a bigger crash because of it a few seconds later, this will get upgraded to a 4x.
Liveries
  • You can Trading Paints to add custom liveries to your cars/helmet/suits - https://www.tradingpaints.com/
  • You need to link this to your iRacing account (so sign-up before you have your account active isn't possible)
  • You can search and easily add any livery on the site (this includes some rather great designs for most famous liveries you can think of and loads of custom ones (e.g. all the 2020 F1 liveries are in there for most of the formula cars)
  • If a livery comes with a .mip file, this is the paint shine layer (e.g. Matt/Gloss etc.), you can apply this within Trading Paints once you have imported the main .tga file.
  • RSR liveries are available from the Resources section on the forum (may want to ask Staff members for access on the forum)
Miscellaneous
  • Informational website about the upcoming iRacing schedule: https://iracing-week-planner.tmo.lol/
  • The track rotation happens every Tuesday.
  • All Rookie series should have "free to use" tracks, so no purchase should be necessary until you get to D class minimum.
  • You can add "Friends" by going to Account -> My Racers.
  • You can view every single session/result you have participated in through Account -> My Series Results or Account -> My Profile
  • Informational website about the popularity of each series from each day/week: https://www.iracingstats.com/
  • There is an option in CrewChief to automatically set the fuel on a pit stop (very handy indeed when racing on your own in a series that requires a pit stop). This seems to give you an extra lap or two of fuel so no need to worry.
  • You can use the audio chat in game to chat to other drivers

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask :)
Wow. Thank you for the instructions. The next days and weeks i will learning by doing how it works, i hope so...

Users who are viewing this thread