Looking for Advice - New Sim Racing Rig! (1 Viewer)

SillySausage

Community Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've recently started a new higher paying job which means upgrading my current crappy sim racing rig is an option sometime in the future (perhaps in time for PCARS 2). :) I'm looking for any and all advice regarding potential setups (and their reliably) roughly within my budget of $1000 AUD (aprox. $750 USD). I'm looking for a substantial upgrade to a rig at the 'higher' end of the spectrum but not busting the bank too much (must have a clutch). I'm also liking the idea of a Playseat or something similar to keep everything all in one unit and not have to setup up each time and find the correct positioning so any advice regarding that would also be appreciated.

From what I've researched so far, I've found 3 options:

⦁ Logitech G920 - I've heard these are a relatively reliable and solid wheel, I'm just worried it wouldn't be that big of an upgrade from my Logitech MOMO to satisfy my cravings. :p

⦁ Thrustmaster T500 RS - Again, same as the G290 but perhaps better realism and force feedback?

⦁ Fanatec CSL Elite - This is my preferred option at the moment, obviously Fanatec has the reputation for ultra realism so I'm hoping a CSL Elite wheel base and pedals with a ClubSport BMW GT2 wheel will be my best bet. I can't justify to myself spending the huge amount of money on a full ClubSport setup so I'd like to hear your reviews on the CSL Elite gear and what the reliability is like.

All advice and recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Bassetts

Community Member
Reaction score
I have the Clubsport BMW GT2 and I really like it. I have a few minor issues with mine that I'm trying to get resolved, (random button activation's during racing a race, normally the buttons I have mapped to the view type and brake balance) which can be a real pain mid race.

Although saying that I think this may be vibration based or an issue in pcars as I run simvibe in chassis mode. I ran over 500 laps in the skip barber in iRacing at the weekend with no issues, so I'm thinking it's either pcars, or a combination of the type of cars/high vibrations that it generates in pcars messing it up.

If you do go for the at wheel, the first bit of advice that I would give is don't use it without gloves.

I used mine for a couple of months without gloves and the sweat/grease/dirt from your hands will quickly matt up and bind to the Alcantara.

miagi

Community Member
Reaction score
atm I would recommend a Thurstmaster wheel like the T500 or the TX. And the Fanatec CSL elite pedals with load cell. That would be a very good combo and a still reasonable price. Imo the CSL Elite Wheel is expensive. It costs 319 Euro or AU$499.90 only the Base, there is no rim/wheel for that price. The cheapest rim is 150 euro or AU$229.90 for you, what is a joke imo. In Europa the Thrustmaster TX Racing Wheel Ferrari 458 costs 279 Euro.
The CSL Elite Pedals LC for 219,90€ resp. AU$329.90 is ok imo.
It would be 500 Euro vs 690 Euro. For 500 Euro you might get a decent playseat. For 300 euro, not really.

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I personally can't complain about my t300 + alcantara rim + t3pa pro pedals. For me it is the best you can get for low money. Everything beyond you have to go with fanatec which is damn expensive :D

Iceman07

Community Member
Reaction score
Me too, T300 Ferrari wheel with the pedals of the T500RS (same as T3PA Pro) is the best combo you can get for that price.
But I have to say I never had the opportunity to try Fanatec stuff, so probably the Fanatec Pedals are the better choice.

InsaneBase

Community Member
Reaction score
The Logitech G29/G920 pieces, while nice (I use a G29) are nowadays definitely more on the beginner's spectrum. I am already dreaming about a setup that's a little stronger/more precise. So I wouldn't recommend them if you are looking for an upgrade.

TM is still keeping quiet about their DD wheel after showing it earlier this year, which makes it tough.

So a question to those in the know: Is a T500 that much better than a G29? The TM offers in the G29 prive range felt super cheap, but as I now delved deeper into the TM product range I noticed that you can order different rims. Or is the T500 just a special version of the T300 or vice versa?

Too bad about the Ferrari branding on some stuff. Makes everything 40 % more expensive and 4.000 % more gaudy.

I personally am eyeing Fanatec atm, although everybody and their mom hates them today because of the PS4 issue. But that would mean I would probably need a proper rig for which I simply do not have the space. I'm glad I don't have any money (yet) and need to upgrade my machine first, hopefully next month.

G

Gopher04

The T500 to me would be superior to the G29, as for rims, any TM rim fits all TM wheels, and if you feel the need and can afford you can use custom rims. T500 pedals are good I just use skateboard bushes behind the pedal to give a better feel, had my T500 setup for 6 years now, all I have had to do in that period is replace the pots on the brake/accelerator half a dozens times, as there life span isn't long, but that depends on the use, they high use my end so I will always have to replace the pots atleast once a year, for me it's now becoming abit of a chore now, and how long will TM supply new ones, so that's why I'm thinking on moving to the CSP V3's soon.
If you go down the T500 route make sure you get the blue boxed one which was slightly upgraded on the fan and the mounting points for the wheel.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark

Community Member
Reaction score
Gotta be fanatec imo. Although I've not tried the thrustmaster gear I think my csw elite and pedals were a huge upgrade.
I got mine second hand and had a couple of issues initially. Bought a new main board from fanatec and a new power supply from ebay for not very much money and it's not missed a beat since. Must be almost two years now.

Also it works on the ps4 now too. I've played project cars a few times on ps4 and that new rally game.

InsaneBase

Community Member
Reaction score
Does it? Sony made whoever the Asseto Corsa guys are patch out Fanatec compatibility (unpatched the wheels work, patched not), as there currently is no licensing agreement between Fanatec and Sony. Rumor is, SMS only doesn't patch pCars on PS4, because they would have to do the same.

There's a lot of angry Fanatec users on the German pCars board I frequent because of this. But then again, they are also angry at me because I don't understand spending € 1.600 on racing hardware for top fidelity only to hook it up to a PS4. :p

Mark

Community Member
Reaction score
Definitely works mate. The pedals and wheel have to be plugged into each usb port and iirc it matters which way round they go, pedals on the left I think. And they have to be connected before launching the game.

SillySausage

Community Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the advice! What I got from this so far is that the Logitech G920 isn't worthwhile if I'm looking for a big upgrade, Thrustmaster T500 RS (and other various TM products combined) is a quality wheel for the price and Fanatec is worth the money in terms of the pedals at least and I'm never planning on running it on a PS4 so that's a non-isue for me. Another addition I should have added to my first post is I really don't want to bother with any custom mods or fixes, I'm looking for a solid product right out of the box, so Fanatec sounds like the better option to avoid this?

SillySausage

Community Member
Reaction score
@Bassetts Great to hear, it looks like the most comfortable for me and I own a BMW so it seems appropriate. :p Thanks for the gloves advice, I was considering doing this anyway so good to have it confirmed. :)

@miagi Interesting. My OCD isn't liking the idea of mixing brands :p but you've given me a good option to think about. Do you know any other good, relatively cheap seats other than the Playseat or the Fanatec one?

Also, I haven't even checked - do Fanatec Clubsport wheels fit to the CSL Elite wheel base?

miagi

Community Member
Reaction score
@Bassetts Great to hear, it looks like the most comfortable for me and I own a BMW so it seems appropriate. :p Thanks for the gloves advice, I was considering doing this anyway so good to have it confirmed. :)
The BMW rim is acutally not very popular among top drivers. It is quite heavy and big and because of that the inertia is pretty big. That means that is doesn't react as fast as lighter wheels, esp. for drifting it's noticeable. But is also takes so of the details away from the FFB. At least the top base tries to counter that with powerful motors, the CSL might suffer even more from that.
@miagi Interesting. My OCD isn't liking the idea of mixing brands :p but you've given me a good option to think about. Do you know any other good, relatively cheap seats other than the Playseat or the Fanatec one?

Also, I haven't even checked - do Fanatec Clubsport wheels fit to the CSL Elite wheel base?
Fanatec seat is surely not cheap. You'd need to check who delivers to Australia and at what price. Playset are known to be one of the cheaper seats that are not total crap ^^ rSeats are pretty awsome but that'll be 900 AU$ at least. Omega GT is usually good value to name another one.

As far as I understand the offer on the Fanatec page, all rims fit to all bases they are currently selling, what is 2, 2 bases only.

ramiboo

Community Member
Reaction score
There's a lot of angry Fanatec users on the German pCars board I frequent
I always assume there's a lot of angry Germans on a German forum...... @t0daY which ones do you go to? :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:eek::D

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score

falcon2081

Founding Member
Community Member
Reaction score
As someone who has gone through many wheels. Head this advice. Save up for that CSW v2 or even better save up more and grab yourself a Simcube OSW DD wheel. Granted your in Australia so you get royally screwed when it comes to exchange rates. The reason why I say this is because eventually you will want something better in terms of FFB fidelity and torque. I would compare the new Fanatec CSL wheel to be right around the TM 300 but better. Not detracting from the 300 at all either. It's a damn good wheel for the money. Don't expect to see a Fanatec DD wheel anytime soon. It's been confirmed they are working on it though. As far as the TM DD wheel. Rumors are going around that it isn't true and the quote from the Thrustmaster representative was taking out of context. But who knows? I'm sure we will see more info whenever the new Gran Turismo game comes out.

Pedals - The new CSL Elite pedals are pretty good. Otherwise look into the Clubsport V3's or even better get yourself some ProtoSimTech Pedals which are only $100 more than the Clubsports.

Sim Rig - See if you can source 80/20 Aluminum and build your own. 80/20 rig is the best you can have in terms of adjustability and flexibility when doing your sim rig. Only downside is they can get expensive but should be right around your budget range.

2scoops

RSR Family
Community Member
Reaction score
I use a GT Omega seat, it's very comfortable, which is important for me for long stints. I would also say that 80/20 profile will give you the most versatility, you can add to it whenever you need to expand your equipment and you can put things exactly where you want them.

SillySausage

Community Member
Reaction score
@falcon2081 Thanks for the advice. Are you talking about the ClubSport Wheel Base V2? I really cannot justify spending $989.90 AUD on a single component if that's the case, let alone the V3 pedals at $499.90 AUD then a ClubSport wheel on top of that. That's like a $800 difference from a CSL Elite setup with a ClubSport wheel which is basically my budget anyway haha! At the moment I'm driving with a crappy old Logitech MOMO wheel clamped to my office desk so really any quality, modern wheel will be an enormous improvement. I think not having tried other quality wheels, I don't think I will be too worried with what I'm missing not going full ClubSport (even though that would be the dream). I just simply can't justify the money on full ClubSport or beyond.

Users who are viewing this thread