Oculus Rift and Glasses (1 Viewer)

SteveO916

Community Member
Reaction score
Hi,

amongst all my other "issues" I can't see very well either, so I wear glasses and came acros an issue with my Rift.

my glasses ended up with tiny scratches in the middle. I think it was due to getting sweaty and glasses falling down my nose and rubbing against the rift lenses. Not good.

After attempting to make a thicker piece of foam to go round the outside of the faceplate I realize I wouldn't be able to stick it to the headset (void warranty probably) so I was having to try and stuff it into place every time I put the rift on. Not good.

Anyhoo I now have a solution which works, is easy to use and is not permanently fixed to the headset. All good.

A small piece of packaging foam, wedges nicely in between the lenses. It rests against the nose, keeps the glasses up in correct position and moves the headset slightly back. (You cannot see it while wearing the headset.)

20180628_081347.jpg
20180628_081415.jpg
20180628_081448.jpg

I thought I'd mention it in case anyone else has the same issue.
(i also bought some Lens protectors for the rift lenses "just in case") - *these haven't arrived yet so not tried them..

SteveO916

Community Member
Reaction score
Great idea, I'll try the same! Does it affect the little sensor in between the eyes?

As far as I know the sensor just turns the headset on when you put it up to your face, so the foam will probably keep the headset on when you take it off. because the foam is not "fixed" it's easy enough to just take it out. Could probably make the foam shorter so it doesn't cover the sensor.

Dama_The_Crow

Community Member
Reaction score
Did you look at VR covers? https://vrcover.com/shop/
They have thicker foam replacenemts and than Oculus is a bit more further from your face.

SteveO916

Community Member
Reaction score
Did you look at VR covers? https://vrcover.com/shop/
They have thicker foam replacenemts and than Oculus is a bit more further from your face.

I did look into those, but it seems you have to buy their face plate to be able to attach it...so that's $29+$19+shipping vs $0 for a piece of foam.

Dama_The_Crow

Community Member
Reaction score
Yap...I always go for functionality rather than money :)

2scoops

RSR Family
Community Member
Reaction score
Having to wear glasses myself has been putting me off trying the rift, I know you can get prescription lenses for the rift, pricey I know.

SteveO916

Community Member
Reaction score
Just do it....VR is absolutely fecking awesomely amazing. nobody can explain to you what it is like (apart from saying that it's like being there!). I naively thought VR would just be like what I saw on my telly but I could actually look around without the perspective of the car moving like it does with headtraking. (That's why I made reference to my headtracker as being poor mans VR) Was I ever wrong about that!! Mind well and truely blown when I first tried it.

Taorminator

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I am also considering buying a Rift and that question came across my mind so thank you for telling your experience about it :) I have a question though : I tried a HTC Vive at a virtual room center and I don't remember my glasses were an issue at all (and I have quite big glasses, usually difficult to wear with a karting helmet). Actually I can't remember if I was wearing them at all or if I left them in the locker so I was wondering what type of vision issue do you have? I don't know the term in English but I don't see clear from a distance and it seems to me counter intuitive to use such glasses to see something very close to your eyes... I don't know much about VR goggles so far but I tought you could somehow adapt the focus of the lenses to fit to your vision, I guess I was wrong

Tom

Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I am also considering buying a Rift and that question came across my mind so thank you for telling your experience about it :) I have a question though : I tried a HTC Vive at a virtual room center and I don't remember my glasses were an issue at all (and I have quite big glasses, usually difficult to wear with a karting helmet). Actually I can't remember if I was wearing them at all or if I left them in the locker so I was wondering what type of vision issue do you have? I don't know the term in English but I don't see clear from a distance and it seems to me counter intuitive to use such glasses to see something very close to your eyes... I don't know much about VR goggles so far but I tought you could somehow adapt the focus of the lenses to fit to your vision, I guess I was wrong

I am short sighted, so I need glasses to see distant objects clearly. It does indeed seem counter intuitive to need glasses to see things on the display up close, but you really do need them. Its a bit like standing up close to a window, even though you are super close to the surface, you still focus into the distance. Text especially in the rift is hard to read without glasses.

Last edited:

Dama_The_Crow

Community Member
Reaction score
You need glasses because display of Rift is seen through lense that shows like it is 5m away so your eyes sees that :)

Taorminator

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I am short sighted, so I need glasses to see distant objects clearly. It does indeed seem counter intuitive to need glasses to see things on the display up close, but you really do need them. Its a bit like standing up close to a window, even though you are super close to the surface, you still focus into the distance. Text especially in the rift is hard to read without glasses.
Ok that makes sense now thanks to you and @Dama_The_Crow :) I realize the lenses make it luch different than a classical screen because I usually see objects that are close worse with my glasses than without them so I tought it was the same here. Thanks for the info!

SteveO916

Community Member
Reaction score
I've given in and bought the over expensive Facial mask with the faux leather and cotton cover.

The foam idea worked to an extent, but once hot and sweaty the slightest slippage led to scratched glasses again. I also play VR shoot em ups(badly) so there's a lot more head movement than when driving.

so although expensive at £29, it's far cheaper than new lenses for the glasses at £85 or a new rift at £400.
(i could have got cheap as chips glasses for about £9 and taken the arms off and bodged them in so there was always a fixed distance between the lenses, but no doubt one day I'd be a numpty and put the rift on with my glasses still on as well.)

Hopefully this will hold the rift far enough off the face to improve lens to lens clearance, if not I intent to stuff some foam into the cover to make it thicker.

Last edited:

2scoops

RSR Family
Community Member
Reaction score
Have you tried contact lenses?

Taorminator

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
For me it couldn't work because I don't bear lenses very well and had enough bad experiences to give up using them. You don't want to have an itchy eye during a 2.4h race :p

SteveO916

Community Member
Reaction score
I've given in and bought the over expensive Facial mask with the faux leather and cotton cover.

The foam idea worked to an extent, but once hot and sweaty the slightest slippage led to scratched glasses again. I also play VR shoot em ups(badly) so there's a lot more head movement than when driving.

so although expensive at £29, it's far cheaper than new lenses for the glasses at £85 or a new rift at £400.
(i could have got cheap as chips glasses for about £9 and taken the arms off and bodged them in so there was always a fixed distance between the lenses, but no doubt one day I'd be a numpty and put the rift on with my glasses still on as well.)

Hopefully this will hold the rift far enough off the face to improve lens to lens clearance, if not I intent to stuff some foam into the cover to make it thicker.

This new face thing arrived, it's rubbish, it's going back...

The Breeze

Social Media
RSR Academy
Reaction score

SteveO916

Community Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with this? And if so, is it any good?
https://widmovr.com/product/oculus-rift-prescription-lenses-adapter/

no, but for my next trick I am gonna get some prescription specs from "selectspecs" for about £6, take the arms off and find a way to stick them in. (the frames/lenses. not the arms!)

currently I have cut out bits of foam held on with elastic bands (because cable ties wouldn't work for this), not very elegant but seems to be doing the trick so far. I kinda think it's shocking that I have to do this stuff to make a £400 item work as intended just because I wear glasses.

Last edited:

The Breeze

Social Media
RSR Academy
Reaction score
@Yammie916 Lol... it's definitely a cheaper solution :D . I'll go for 'no glasses' for the time being because my glasses almost cut my nose off..

The Breeze

Social Media
RSR Academy
Reaction score
Maybe an 'old school' pair of sports glasses with cable temples will do the trick as well?
m_4152.jpg

Personally I will probably go for the WIDMOVR
widmovr.png

Users who are viewing this thread