Revolution Cup - Season 4 - Question Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
If you enter the pit-lane too fast, and run wide to the left (on entry), you will fall into the missing mesh here.

It is YOUR responsibility to slow down enough to avoid running wide.

Will there be any further "race director" guidance on safe pit entry in general? Ignoring the bug, the pit entry appears to be right on the only safe racing line. Taking evasion here (because a car has slowed down enough to avoid running wide) feels extremely dangerous as you get violently pushed to the left if you don't take the line to the right. Obviously calling you are entering is super important on this track, but regardless it feels dangerous.

I should state I'm happy it's not being cancelled as I also have spent time preparing ;). I'm just concerned for safe pit entry on this track, not just because of that bug.

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
We're not here to hold the hands of our members, the general rules apply to every race, namely that we advise our members to call out, on TeamSpeak, when they are entering and exiting the pits :). We all have ample opportunity to practice for a race, with AI or without, and as such it is our own responsibility to be aware of any potential dangers on a racetrack.

We have only taken the decision to highlight this because there is a bug in the track mesh and it is all too easy to run wide on entry if carrying too much speed. The extra caution, regarding calling out pit-entry, is because drivers will have to slow more than normal on the racing line, to avoid the possibility of going wide and into this mesh hole. We will make other advisory notices in future, should specific problems arise.

Tom

Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
We're not here to hold the hands of our members, the general rules apply to every race, namely that we advise our members to call out, on TeamSpeak, when they are entering and exiting the pits :).

Just to pin onto this some things you can do to help avoid a messy situation here (just common sense, these are not rules)
  • Call out 'Entering pits' with good warning, before the final corner ideally.
  • Say your name/position, there are lots of different voices so don't assume everyone knows who you are.
  • If someone is right up behind you in the final sector, you can warn them directly you're planning to pit this lap.
    • or if you're not racing them, give them position before the final turn.
  • Turn on/flash headlights before the last turn if you cannot communicate with a mic.
It's a tricky pit entry, but it only adds to the challenge/peril of racing at this circuit. Use common sense and you should be alright - if it does go tits up, it's on you!

Alex Salmon

Community Member
Reaction score
I appreciate this choice of not changing the track due to the issues of time that people have put in but I would just like express the concerns that we tested before we found this mesh bug the other night. The pit entry is WAY too dangerous for the close style of racing that we have in this league, if your in a group of cars and want to pit you need to jump onto the brakes for a chicane on pit entry when the rest of the cars around you are taking the final corner flat at 150+ mph. The other night myself and @Stokemon tested this and although he knew I was pitting in an entire lap before, the speed difference of me having to hit the brakes to get into the pit entry was enough that he had to take avoiding action. This in turn put him off line and on a corner of this type with such a narrow road width he caught the grass, I think hit the wall before spinning back onto the track just under the crest. @xImJakeyy then came through the turn unsighted and had a massive impact, more than enough to ruin both races, and thats only with 3 cars. Not to mention he could have hit the back of me quite easily too. As much as I understand that people have tested the track (myself included) and you are reluctant to change because of this time that has been committed to it. I have to ask is it not worse if all that time goes to waste because there is a massive pile up crash on the final turn because someone innocently tries to make a pitstop with an entry thats not properly positioned? In my eyes a DNF due to something as simple as this would be much harder to swallow :/

I dont want to sound like I am being a pain here I just feel like its a massive risk for a race that everyone is putting so much time into. I know that we have done pitstops on this track before in stuff like the GT4 race the other week but I think that the extra speed of a GTE makes it so much more dangerous when someone tries to pit with other cars around.

Last edited:

SteveO916

Community Member
Reaction score
how about if those that are going to pit stick to the right of the track from a designated point before the actual pitlane entry therefore in effect extending the pitlane entrance.

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
If an accident occurs, because somebody isn't paying attention to the "pitting in" warning then they will find themselves in front of the stewards. We are giving everybody fair warning of the pitfalls (no pun intended) and it is on all of us to drive accordingly.

If you hear anybody calling out that they are pitting in, treat the exit of the long left-hander (that leads to short straight before the final right-hander, where the pit entry is located) with more caution than usual, on the basis that somebody could be braking to enter the pits. If it compromises your race to take a slower line out of the long left-hander, then so be it, you might be able to capitalise on somebody else having to go slower on another lap.

As for your proposal, Yammie, although I like the idea I don't think it will work any better than simply having people be extra vigilant, both in making the "pit in" calls and listening out for them. As Battenberg suggests, waiting for a moment when there isn't a car directly behind you is the best option - and, even if there is one behind you, provided you make the call in a timely manner, that driver can drive accordingly and avoid contact.

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
'tis what it is guys.

Personally I intend to treat any "entering pits" communication almost like waved yellows ("caution, slow, do not pass"). I hope others will do the same for a safe race.

Similar to Yammie's suggestion, it's probably worth agreeing during driver briefing a slightly earlier point to call "entering pits" (probably as soon as you are around the fast left safely)

Dama_The_Crow

Community Member
Reaction score
As Cluck said, if you have anyone on your tail, it is best just to don't do pitting that lap. That's the simplest way.

Ashnoom

Community Member
Reaction score
As Cluck said, if you have anyone on your tail, it is best just to don't do pitting that lap. That's the simplest way.
Or let said person pass before entering the fast corner?

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Or let said person pass before entering the fast corner?
Yeah, it makes a good level of sense to concede a place before the left corner if coming in. Easy enough if its just two of you with a big gap behind maybe.

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
a) how about no xD and b) why don’t we wait for the final decision of the admins tonight :p they had a meeting yesterday... :)

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
a) how about no xD and b) why don’t we wait for the final decision of the admins tonight :p they had a meeting yesterday... :)
Ah, thought it was already all decided. Cluck was pretty clear on that above.

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Ah, thought it was already all decided. Cluck was pretty clear on that above.

We reviewed once again the situation because of several concerns stated by drivers. Decision was made yesterday and we will post it tonight in each race thread.

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
As all of you will have noticed, we have now published the guidelines for pitting safely in this race. We spent some time last night making sure that this process was safe. We went so far as to have one of us sit stationary, at the start of the braking zone, whilst another one of us came around the left-hander at full speed. The conclusion was that, even with a stationary car, there was sufficient time to move to the left side of the track and avoid a collision. Given, also, that the race will be at night, brake lights will be clearly visible as you exit the left-hander (even if you didn't hear the "pitting in" on TeamSpeak).

I cannot stress enough the importance of EVERYBODY practicing where they need to start braking, to slow down enough. If you start braking at the start of the service road tarmac (visible at 0:26s in the posted video), you should have scrubbed off enough speed to take the pit entry safely. If you are not so confident on the brakes, brake slightly earlier.

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
As all of you will have noticed, we have now published the guidelines for pitting safely in this race. We spent some time last night making sure that this process was safe. We went so far as to have one of us sit stationary, at the start of the braking zone, whilst another one of us came around the left-hander at full speed. The conclusion was that, even with a stationary car, there was sufficient time to move to the left side of the track and avoid a collision. Given, also, that the race will be at night, brake lights will be clearly visible as you exit the left-hander (even if you didn't hear the "pitting in" on TeamSpeak).

I cannot stress enough the importance of EVERYBODY practicing where they need to start braking, to slow down enough. If you start braking at the start of the service road tarmac (visible at 0:26s in the posted video), you should have scrubbed off enough speed to take the pit entry safely. If you are not so confident on the brakes, brake slightly earlier.
Thanks for your efforts

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread