Split 2 - R5: Hockenheimring - 16th April 2018 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonno

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
What are those overlays you are using @UnstopaPaul ?

Ohh id like to know also lol...

* looks around furtively...* oh it's just something I've been knocking up ;) . It's not quite ready yet, and its rather rough and ready UI, but it is getting there. I'm designing it more with streaming in mind rather than for the race engineer you don't have. Once the season finishes I intend to invest a bit more time in it, I have a lot of interesting ideas :)

Reactions: Tom

Darksi

Manager of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
On a personal note, I really have a hard time racing with any of the admins of RSR! I get so nervous and tense, thinking to myself, "Oh damn! It's HIM. Don't mess up. Don't Mess Up! DON'T MESS UP!" I invariably mess it all up. @Darksi and @Mark, in particular, are two drivers that suffered the consequences of my inexperience and lack of skill in this race. Sorry fellas!

When it comes to racing with us, just treat us like everyone else, we are there to run the nights and everything else, but when car is on track and the lights go Green, we are there as racers one and all. Don't feel nervous just enjoy the battles that we will have with you.

On another note I would like to say @shepherd what an absolute blast racing with you last night before the rain i was on the same as yourself, front aero and reduced speed and you made me work for that, i just didnt have enough speed to get past plus you were defending really well, i decided when the rain came to stay out a little longer on the slicks before pitting for wets and it actually paid off, i managed to climb a few places.

After that it was a matter of survival as for some reason the wets felt awful for the first couple of laps, and then i got into a rhythm. pretty much uneventful for me apart from a couple of daft spins. and then with 15 minutes to go i switched back to slicks. and so glad i made that choice, the car felt great again, and i could really push the limits, as at that point i had nothing to lose. I made my way back to 16th if i remember correctly, and even unlapped myself from a few who stayed on wets.

Apart from the first corner incident which caused the aero damage and put me to the back. I really enjoyed that race... Thanks to everyone who raced and I am looking forward to the finale at Bathurst.

Pete Morrish

Community Member
Reaction score
On a personal note, I really have a hard time racing with any of the admins of RSR! I get so nervous and tense, thinking to myself, "Oh damn! It's HIM. Don't mess up. Don't Mess Up! DON'T MESS UP!" I invariably mess it all up.

Good job there's no-one senior from SMS here, carefully noting down anyone that says anything bad about the game for future blacklisting. Mwuuh-hah-hah-hahahahahaaaaaaa.

Anyway that's it from me. I may loiter around the forum and make stupid comments(the only thing I'm good at) and run your races against the AI set at a level where I can actually have a race. Until I can best the AI on at least 90% there's no way I can compete against real people.

Honestly, don't think like that. I'm confidently one of the weakest racers here (my pace is actually okay in the races themselves I think – good enough for mid-table on the whole – but quali is uniformly terrible, and I don't really think about pitstop / setup strategy too much). I generally try to keep out of people's way, but still race. I know I'm never going to be competitive (although I did have a brief period of glory back in Season One in the Mono when all of a sudden I was getting top-ten finishes), but as long as I'm relaxed, I usually some out of the sessions feeling positive about them.

Mearcat

Community Member
Reaction score
@Yammie916

I know from many years of experience I am a "middle of the pack" paced racer. I do put a lot of spare time into practicing the tracks before hand but that is just my way of getting my brain (if I can find it) to settle into a rythem for that track, learning where I can push/where I need caution, which kerbs are spinners/can overun etc.

From our induction races, the times I have had to race against you, you have the pace to match or even pull away from me. That is on default setups. So you are good enough, come on to some of the testing servers if you have the time, I bet you'l be surprised at the difference it'll make when testing against some of the split 1 guys. It's daunting at first seeing them pull laps 5 seconds faster than you but watching how they take corners and tweaking your car, it makes a difference.

What I think is happening with your car being unstable is the same as I found out on Monza (and from a few other members suggestions) is not to test or practice using the "private practice" mode. For some unknown reason it seems to use different physics which makes your car undrivable on any multiplayer servers.

I have since changed to creating an online event with the race conditions but setting it to "private". this has solved my issues with practice setups working in multiplayer.
(highlighted as I think more people should be made aware of this game trait)

The trick with racing is nothing magical, as there are no perfect setups for a car to be the fastest or the grippyist.

A setup is to make the car comfortable for the driver to drive fast.

I think from what you said, all you need is a setup that suits you, speed or pace is a byproduct of feeling confident in the car to handle what you want it to do.

I know my team mate and others are going to scream "TRAITOR" but I'll gladly nip on a session for the next one and help get you somewhere you feel comfy to not worry the cars going to kill you. Let me know.

I can't abide someone not enjoying racing or not feeling competitive because of a setup.

Ignore the above if you are just missing the last race because you can't make it.

I am beginning to think whats needed is a racing school/race practice night for people experienced and new to begin to share knowledge or even walk some people through the general tactics to preping for a race.

Cartman_SP69

Community Member
Reaction score
@Mearcat

I am beginning to think whats needed is a racing school/race practice night for people experienced and new to begin to share knowledge or even walk some people through the general tactics to preping for a race.

I agree with your suggestion, take me as an example I love to race but my knowledge of car setups are extremely limited.

Jaco P.

Community Member
Reaction score

+1
That would be super awesome. A racing school with "an instructor" and track days where we would go through basic driving techniques & also take a look at the car mechanics and setups.
But I imagine this would take quite a lot of effort from both sides..

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Good job there's no-one senior from SMS here, carefully noting down anyone that says anything bad about the game for future blacklisting. Mwuuh-hah-hah-hahahahahaaaaaaa.
You be careful @Pete Morrish waving those SMS credentials around or I'll start asking you about data missing from the in-memory telemetry feed, or in fact ask for some help on a special project ;) :D

On the "trick with racing" I'd probably clarify a little. Firstly, the best setup is the one that you are comfortable with staying on track for an hour. As you improve, you become uncomfortable with more edgy setups. However, there is only one real trick to racing. Practice. No joke, I'm not actually a great racer, but I'm pretty certain I will have had the most practice time on track at hockenheim (and probably Sakitto too. The odometer indicated I had done 560 laps of Sakitto, which is about 15.5hrs of on track time). When do you stop practicing? When you could do the race in your sleep, and you know what every sliding noise means on every corner of the track. The benefit of Sims is you don't need to pay large fees for small amounts of track time. I'm going to write more up my thinking on this on my "self improvement" thread soon. It's been too long since I updated it.

Mearcat

Community Member
Reaction score
@UnstopaPaul - Spot on. Track/practice time is the only way to improve, and it is even better when practicing with others as you may learn your front end gets "skippy" when close to another car ;).

From my ARMA clan experience,

The student must be willing to learn as much as the teacher is willing to teach. this is the most difficult thing when setting up a Group/Clan training session as most people just want to play the game and have fun.

Communication is key.

I can show people MY way for race prep and or track behaviour, but it may not be the best for some. Its a simple routine that suits me but it is a chunk of knowledge other may find useful.

Last edited:

Michael

#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score
How about putting this valueable tips into its own thread. Once the season is over this gets archived at some point.

Reactions: Tom

SteveO916

Community Member
Reaction score
I do all my practice in private online lobby already yet still things are not the same when it comes to a race. The setup I had (just a few changes to loose setup) worked in my practice in dry / wet - also tried it with dry tyres in wet and with wet tyres in dry. I did my testing after patch 5.
I knew from my times against the AI that I wouldn't be on the pace and wasn't really looking forward to the race. Qualifying last with a 2 second gap to the person in front when the rest of the grid was only split by 4secs confirmed that.
The first lap killed the race for me, the "joy" of making up some places followed immediately by the "despair" of losing them all again. From then my head/heart just wasn't in it as I knew I couldn't catch up. A lot of "racing" and what makes a good racer is in the mind, unfortunately with me, the mind isn't a good place for them to be.

Zemke

Community Member
Reaction score
Anyway that's it from me. I may loiter around the forum and make stupid comments(the only thing I'm good at) and run your races against the AI set at a level where I can actually have a race. Until I can best the AI on at least 90% there's no way I can compete against real people.

As others have already mentioned, I've learned to only practice online. I also do that by creating an online session and changing the settings from 'Public' to 'Private'. I usually set the Qualifying time for an hour and match it to the settings of the RSR race. That gives me plenty of time to get lots of laps in, plus makes it easy to go back to the pits and make adjustments to the car.

In addition, I've gotten in the habit of reloading my saved setup before I start the race. In that 2 minutes between the end of qualifying and the start of the race, when everybody is readying up, I reload my car's race setup even if it was already selected. Sometimes I get weird behavior from the car if I just click 'Ready', without reloading my setup. When I've done those two things, my car's behavior has always had the same feeling between my practice sessions and the actual race.

Also, in an effort to improve my speed, stability, and safety, I've been watching the YouTube videos from @Yorkie_065 and www.driver61.com.
Yorkie's Videos: Driver61's Videos:
I hope it helps! It's always more fun to have you on the track, @Yammie916.

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
As others have already mentioned, I've learned to only practice online. I also do that by creating an online session and changing the settings from 'Public' to 'Private'. I usually set the Qualifying time for an hour and match it to the settings of the RSR race. That gives me plenty of time to get lots of laps in, plus makes it easy to go back to the pits and make adjustments to the car.

In addition, I've gotten in the habit of reloading my saved setup before I start the race. In that 2 minutes between the end of qualifying and the start of the race, when everybody is readying up, I reload my car's race setup even if it was already selected. Sometimes I get weird behavior from the car if I just click 'Ready', without reloading my setup. When I've done those two things, my car's behavior has always had the same feeling between my practice sessions and the actual race.

Also, in an effort to improve my speed, stability, and safety, I've been watching the YouTube videos from @Yorkie_065 and www.driver61.com.
Yorkie's Videos: Driver61's Videos:
I hope it helps! It's always more fun to have you on the track, @Yammie916.
The self-help thread is the place to add this stuff - if its not there already. lets build up these great resources.

SteveO916

Community Member
Reaction score

I do all that...

It's always more fun to have you on the track,

how so, don't think I've ever been anywhere near your pace.....you must just enjoy lapping me..

Reapper[ZA]

Community Member
Reaction score
Great Race, thanks Gents. It was a bit scary at the start, manage to get 5th, then 4th. till just before the rain and then i dropped down the field :sorry:. manage to get 11th.:) Again Great Race Gents.

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
For those of you who are unaware, quite a few of us practice for these races together, help each other out with setup advice and driving advice etc. For the members who struggle a little bit with pace or qualifying pace, sometimes its worth following other members to learn how they take certain corners, you can also learn how they drive and use it against them.
We practice then closer to the race we may opt to do a full race simulation. As @Mearcat already stated multiplayer sessions work better.

You are all welcome to join us and practice if you want :)

Reapper[ZA]

Community Member
Reaction score
Good Race thanks Gents, manage a 11th at the end, my best so far. had some troubles in the race, but not to bad.
It was FUN FUN all the way. Thanks Gents.

drukqs

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I know my team mate and others are going to scream "TRAITOR"

I will not call you traitor :) feel free to do so.

My suggestion might be only for those who find the time to do so, but most of my racing experience is racing on public lobbys. I do public lobbys all the time.

Public lobbys give me the experience to tackle the melee combat of close racing, it gives me the experience to drive constantly against other, faster, slower and equally paced drivers. It gives me the opportunity to learn the cars and the tracks.
It also gives me the opportunity to test setups changes, to learn the tracks, etc. Most of all it gives me the opportunity to have my race awareness sharp, as this is vital in public lobbys as danger is always around the corner.

Testing a week straight alone, and then do an hour per week of racing will not get you far on proper racing experience. Race with AI's if you dont like public lobbys. Do the single player career.

That's all i can say, no driver will be competitive if they dont get their hands dirty on some good wheel to wheel racing: you'll always be just dominated by more experience drivers even if they have the same pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread