Split 2 - R6: Bathurst - 23rd April 2018 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Breeze

Social Media
RSR Academy
Reaction score
Happy again! :D
bathurstDeskbanner.png

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
I could not disagree more with this :D, my setup for Bathurst is exactly the oposite of Monza: Monza i had a low aero, low toe/camber degrees, high engine mapping (my usual preference to not unsettle the car) hard car. In Bathurst my setup is exclusively made for safety on the mountains: high aero, high negative toe/camber for better cornering and response (at expense of straights speed/stability) it will also help heat up the tyres, soft and higher car to help me on the bumbs and engine mapping on 0 for maximum breaking torque without touching my brakes.

Same with the Ferrari, as long as you dont hit the wall with your front, but bumping on the side does not affect the car a lot.

I am still not convinced i need the softs even on the beginning. Definetely the hards are the option for the low cloud/clear skies as they will heat up enough. My main concern with the softs (that are indeed significantly faster) is that they get wasted after a few laps, even if you take them say, 15 laps, the last 6 or 7 laps are on degraded tyres: unsafe and slower. But i have not decided on this yet.

Certainly the softs seem to heat up rapidly once the fog clears (the track temperature rises quickly unsurprisingly) and 15 laps would indeed be quite long on soft tyres. The rears were hitting 100°C pretty quickly for me.

SillySausage

Community Member
Reaction score
Yep, the secret to Bathurst is actually lower downforce (despite it seeming counter-intuitive) and maximising traction coming out of corners. This is because there is basically only one line across the top of the mountain which means overtaking is nigh impossible in that sector (and not recommended) so running high aero for that sector alone doesn't make sense as they won't be overtaking you anyway but you do want as much straight line speed as possible to be able to keep ahead and fight off any slip-streamers along the straights. I also used our Monza setup as a baseline and found it very quick and comfortable from early on.

For a non-alien reference, I've done a PB of around 2:01.400 in race conditions and fuel while running 1-1 aero. It's quite loose but that adds to the excitement of the rollercoaster :p

drukqs

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Hmmm...i'll give it a try to that low-aero thing. i'm more concerned about safety than speed. It's no good if i'm fast but i bump into the walls all the time :D

Stitch

Community Member
Reaction score
I always try to drive a car I'm comfortable with. I'm not the fastest driver so I don't even try to be, I still have a lot to learn in that regard, but I'm fairly consistent with my lap times so I just try to focus on that and make up places that way. I find a lot of the time, mid-race people aren't doing their absolute best times because they're battling, so most of the time there's always a few people you can stick with and hopefully push them into mistakes.

But what do I know, I'm a novice here xD

FuBii

RSR Academy
Reaction score
I was running 0-4 df. I still find the ford rear twitchy to say the Ferrari.
Reckon a 2.00.9/8 will be pole position for our split

Dama_The_Crow

Community Member
Reaction score
I drive 2:03 and I am happy about it, just to survive walls and cars.

drukqs

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
thats the thing...i think people are putting to much emphasis on speed, when i do believe this race will mostly be decided by who does not crash into the walls on 75min and who is not unfortunate to be just behind someone who bins on the narrow twists of the mountain...

That is why i think qualifying will be very important at least it will improve chances to mitigate first few laps carnage.

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
thats the thing...i think people are putting to much emphasis on speed, when i do believe this race will mostly be decided by who does not crash into the walls on 75min and who is not unfortunate to be just behind someone who bins on the narrow twists of the mountain...

That is why i think qualifying will be very important at least it will improve chances to mitigate first few laps carnage.
My plan is to start the race with 1 lap of fuel, and have a pit stop strat that delivers 1 lap of fuel ;)

Zemke

Community Member
Reaction score
After viewing the inspiring video at the Mount Panorama Bathurst circuit, provided to us by the masterful @Cluck, I decided to give it a try. I found an online open lobby and dove in head first. Here's my best try at emulating the #WorldsFastestChicken.

What do you think? I mean, other than all the missed shifts, missed apexes, crashes into the wall, running off the track, etc. It's pretty good, yeah? Sure, I'm in a GT3 car and he drove a GTE car, but I'm probably within a couple tenths of Cluck... right???

(Just being silly.)

Stitch

Community Member
Reaction score
After viewing the inspiring video at the Mount Panorama Bathurst circuit, provided to us by the masterful @Cluck, I decided to give it a try. I found an online open lobby and dove in head first. Here's my best try at emulating the #WorldsFastestChicken.

What do you think? I mean, other than all the missed shifts, missed apexes, crashes into the wall, running off the track, etc. It's pretty good, yeah? Sure, I'm in a GT3 car and he drove a GTE car, but I'm probably within a couple tenths of Cluck... right???

(Just being silly.)

Well if nothing else, the first 15 seconds is enough to remind me why I'll never play public lobbies ever again.

drukqs

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
i just tried with the default lose setup as cluck advised and i just got 1sec faster...

Sometimes messing to much with the setup can be bad i guess :)

dominiczeth

Community Member
Reaction score
Can't be there tomorrow... Family Business... :/

2scoops

RSR Family
Community Member
Reaction score
Won't be able to make the race tomorrow :(

SteveO916

Community Member
Reaction score
I drive 2:03 and I am happy about it, just to survive walls and cars.
I'd be happy about that too.

Unfortunately I'm about 10secs slower and hit the walls quite a lot....
roadblock.jpg

Stitch

Community Member
Reaction score
I'd be happy about that too.

Unfortunately I'm about 10secs slower and hit the walls quite a lot....

It might just be me, but I actually found, (in the Ford GT at least), that lowering the down-force actually helped a lot with control around the mountain. When I ran higher down-force it felt really unstable, then I lowered it and tweaked the springs a little and it's incredibly agile. I run 0 front 2 rear and with a full tank can run 2.02s. It can be a bit on the edge though because around the top of the mountain towards the downhill chicane I don't lift off, I stay in 5th flat but it's a bit of 'get it right or die', so I probably wouldn't do that in the race tbh.

Might be worth trying.

Ashnoom

Community Member
Reaction score
I am running 0 - 2. First 8 - 10 laps are fine on the softs, you then switch to hards.
I raised the car (front/rear) by 4mm and put the bump stops to 0. Increased suspension/dampers by 2 clicks. set camber to -1.6 and -0.7 (or the lowest possible). Lowered the final drive by one click (to get more top speed as I was hitting the limiter on the final long straight on default). Lowered brake pressure from 95 to 88

This all from the "loose" setup (Ford).

This was giving me stable 2:05's after less than one hour of practice on hard tires and full fuel

@Yammie916 lets score just 2 points more than 'Green! Green! Green!' !! (Thats ending above @Dama_The_Crow and @The Breeze ) we are just two points short of taking third place!

Last edited:

The Breeze

Social Media
RSR Academy
Reaction score
I am running 0 - 2. First 8 - 10 laps are fine on the softs, you then switch to hards.
I raised the car (front/rear) by 4mm and put the bump stops to 0. Increased suspension/dampers by 2 clicks. set camber to -1.6 and -0.7 (or the lowest possible). Lowered the final drive by one click (to get more top speed as I was hitting the limiter on the final long straight on default). Lowered brake pressure from 95 to 88

This all from the "loose" setup (Ford).

This was giving me stable 2:05's after less than one hour of practice on hard tires and full fuel

@Yammie916 lets score just 2 points more than 'Green! Green! Green!' !! (Thats ending above @Dama_The_Crow and @The Breeze ) we are just two points short of taking third place!

Haha NO WAY :D:D:D RULES!

Dama_The_Crow

Community Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread