What's the next big racing game on the horizon (1 Viewer)

MikeyTT

Community Member
Reaction score
So we all know pCars 2 is in the works, but I was wondering what else is being developed, or is being rumoured to be released?

After quite a while of no really great racing sim games, we've had an influx in the last 2-3 years. I know the likes of RRE, AC and rFactor2 are all still being developed, and Forza if you really want to throw that in, but I've not seen anything about any new games, or successors to existing games.

Looking on a few of the forums it all seems to be about adding new content/DLCs to existing games. But all that content seems to be very much as tracks or cars, maybe the odd series here and there. But the kinds of features many sim racers want don't seem to like they have focus on existing titles, e.g. safety cars, dynamic weather, DX12, telemetry data - close to my heart that one ;)

So I was wondering, did I miss something, is there a title that is in the works that I've missed somewhere?

BTW: Not that I'm bored with what I have either. I just bought Automobilista at the weekend, so I have more games with the same limited time now :)

miagi

Community Member
Reaction score
How is rFactor2 doing? I tried to test the demo on team but I couldn't set up my wheel and peddals :(

Havocc

RSR Academy
Reaction score
How is rFactor2 doing? I tried to test the demo on team but I couldn't set up my wheel and peddals :(
Have that on steam too

MikeyTT

Community Member
Reaction score
TBH I've not done much in rFactor 2 for quite a while. I came to look at it the other day and I didn't even have it installed. It was probably earlier this year the last time I did anything with it. The FF and feeling you get was very good and online was a far better experience, with much better behavior from a public forum.

Luckily I never had controller issues, or any other real issues. When compared to pCars, or AC, it was just much harder to get into. MP races were full of people with really good setups that were 2-3 secs a lap quicker on fairly short circuits, so unless you took the time to learn that side you were always out-driven. So you ended up with no real "race" as such. The other side, which just really got my goat, was the mod side. Many MP races required mods, and the game would try and download the missing content, but that would almost always fail, or you spend 10-20 mins just sat waiting for the download to complete. By which time the race would have finished. Getting hold of mod content was just such a PITA it ultimately put me off.

One thing pCars got very right was the ease of just being able to jump in and go. Might just have to try rF2 again now it's on Steam (I bought it when it was pre-steam, and I can move it over I'm led to believe).

Havocc

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Oh and remember to enable vsync for rf2 or game menu will run at 1000+ fps and your gpu will start making strange noises, not kidding :)

MikeyTT

Community Member
Reaction score
Oh and remember to enable vsync for rf2 or game menu will run at 1000+ fps and your gpu will start making strange noises, not kidding :)
Ooooh, I'll have to check that. I did manage to get rF2 into Steam last night and ran a few laps.

The introduction of Steam has helped a little with the mods side of things, as that's all included in the Steam Workshops now. I say all, but I think some still don't use this, so it's better but still a little hit and miss.

I took the Nissan GTR around Oulton and TBH it was an enjoyable experience, but not the "streets ahead of pCars" that everyone will have you believe. You get more FFB, but I'm not sure how much of that is canned. You get a bit more feeling of being dragged around the track over undulations, and under braking especially. I did struggle with being able to detect the brake locking point though, so I may need to work on FFB and sound for that.

I like the fact you can remove the wheel and driver (don't recall that being available before), but I couldn't turn off the HUD for some reason. I'll have a play around with pitstops, but you certainly look like you get some good options (pit limiter for one, which may add another dimension to longer online racing sessions). In the hour or so I had with it, I have to say I'm quite taken by it in a way I wasn't a year or so back. Maybe because there is an Oulton Park mod, I'm not sure, but I did get a lot of pleasure thraping around.

In the same way RSR is exploring the option of RRE, it may be worth seeing who has rF2 and adding that to the "possibilities" list too.

Tom

Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
A little nugget from Sector 3 (RRE)'s recent dev stream:

They have been helping to set up a new studio (using the old Simbin name), and are working towards a new cross platform racing game. I'm hoping for a modern reboot of the GTR game series.

Users who are viewing this thread