Project CARS 2 14th May 2018 - Free Radicals (1 Viewer)

Col_McCoy

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Name: Col_McCoy
Do you understand and accept our Driving Standards? Yes
Do you intend to attend and complete the race? Yes

I guess I'll be the 3rd reserve

Tom

Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
We are doing this free formation lap for a few years now and I think ppl are capable of pulling that of at slightly higher pace and bit shorter time by now.

Come to an induction session and you'll see the scope of experience we're dealing with. It's appreciated that a lot of our members can do it first time perfectly, but you'll be surprised how often even the regulars get it wrong in official events. Also, some applicants nail it in induction, and get it all wrong in an official event. To form 2x2 up at short notice and/or at a higher speed, we risk not being ready in time and abandoning a start (especially with larger grids) - which nobody wants.

I'm not grasping the problem completely (still need a coffee this morning), the tyre pressures are below their optimum at the race start? Do they not get up to their desired/intended pressure after a few corners/laps - or is the whole race affected? Maybe I'm not as perceptive, but I get that the tyres are not at their best at the very start of a race - so we drive appropriately until they are.

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
If you practice a rolling start then there won't be any surprises :) . That's what caught me out at the Nords event (that and being on the wrong tyres for the start!).

Yes, the car will be a little sketchy for the first few corners, as the temps and pressures will have dropped. To a certain extent you can mitigate the pressure drop (oh pressure drop, pressure's gonna drop on you (c) The Specials) by dragging the brakes during the formation lap - the heat will dissipate into the tyres, raising their pressure (it appears most effective when the brakes are 300C or above). Don't do it too much, of course, or you'll send pressures through the roof.

I did a test run last night and provided you drag the brakes, you can start on near-ideal pressure. The tyres (the left ones, at least) get up to a good operating temperature by the start of the long back straight ('Bentleys')

As Battenberg rightly points out, we want to make sure we start the race at the first time of asking. We don't want instances like Daytona, where we have to do yet another lap.

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
@Admins

Apologies, but I'm going to pull out of this one. I've not had any time to practice the combo (or more correctly, I've spent my time elsewhere). Looks like you won't have a problem filling up the field though .

Enjoy!

Reactions: Tom

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
@Admins

Apologies, but I'm going to pull out of this one. I've not had any time to practice the combo (or more correctly, I've spent my time elsewhere). Looks like you won't have a problem filling up the field though .

Enjoy!
Thanks Paul and sorry to hear you're going to have to miss this one.

@Eugene Flerko , you're now in the main driver list for tonight :)

Laserbeak43

Community Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm going to have to cancel my entry. I'd have to leave in the middle of the race if I had joined. Sorry! Someone upload a replay please!

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm going to have to cancel my entry. I'd have to leave in the middle of the race if I had joined. Sorry! Someone upload a replay please!
OK, cheers for the advance notice Laser :)

@Mearcat , you're now in the main list for driving tonight :)

miagi

Community Member
Reaction score
To explain the problem. On the start of the Nords Event, the pressure was much higher than in any of my tests, at any point in the race, I did a normal start at my pratice runs. The car starts on pre-heated tires so the pressure is pretty much in the window. The brakes are also already hot. We drive around to slow to get heat into the tires, (for me eliminates the use of hard tires), but the slow driving bring the heat of the brake into the wheel and into the air of the tire. Not into the rubber, but the pressure rises. On soft tires the exact tire temp is not so important, on hards below a certain window it's carnage. So on Nords I started with way to high pressure, that leads to the car skidding around more, that leads to higher tire surface temps, that leads to higher tire pressure. It is quite a task to get the tire pressure back down again, had to wait till Döttinger Höhe for tires to cool down and pressure get down with it.

If noone has done it before it can get messy, but if 80% of the driver can do that 2x2 formation while sleeping the remaining 20% can just follow.

Nighttiger

Community Member
Reaction score
I made a schedule mistake, again lol, I cannot race tonight. Sorry chaps, reserves are up!

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
@Cluck could you move the appropriate posts to a new thread? Something start procedure discussion?

I had the same issue as miagi at nords. For the first time the pressures would go too high, instead of too low, where like you said you could just drag the brakes to get them up.

I would be pro giving the pole driver a bit more freedom for the formation speed, maybe with an upper limit of something like 150kph. We can still slow down for the formation so the field gets close again.

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
When I did a test for this event last night, and kept my foot off the brake pedal, for the whole lap, the tyres dropped from 1.6-bar to 1.5-bar in pressure. I had to drag the brakes slightly in a second test run to keep the pressures optimal. That was keeping to 75-80kph for the whole lap (with a couple of momentary drops and rises in speed).

fab. ICEMAN

Staff iRacing
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I have to back out out of this one, I'm sorry! Very busy day and I won't get to turn on my pc today

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I have to back out out of this one, I'm sorry! Very busy day and I won't get to turn on my pc today
Awwwww :(

There's now 1 space available, in case anybody else wants to take part tonight :)

miagi

Community Member
Reaction score
When I did a test for this event last night, and kept my foot off the brake pedal, for the whole lap, the tyres dropped from 1.6-bar to 1.5-bar in pressure. I had to drag the brakes slightly in a second test run to keep the pressures optimal. That was keeping to 75-80kph for the whole lap (with a couple of momentary drops and rises in speed).
You are right, high tire pressure is not the a problem on this car, but the long pace lap still cools the tires down and this tire is as you said yourself, really really not good when cold.

Dama_The_Crow

Community Member
Reaction score
Second race will be slide fest.

Mark

Community Member
Reaction score
Awwwww :(

There's now 1 space available, in case anybody else wants to take part tonight :)

Make that two spaces. I’m afraid I’m stuck at work for the foreseeable.

CatchAGlimpse

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
What time are we starting? Couldn't find the start time on the first post.

7pm or 8pm BST?

Eugene Gajkin

RSR Academy
Reaction score
I apologize today I can not participate today

Users who are viewing this thread