Project CARS 2 14th May 2018 - Free Radicals (1 Viewer)

CatchAGlimpse

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Looks like my Wi-Fi isn't stable enough to maintain a connection on the servers. Moving into rented accommodation last week has waved goodbye to my cabled connection. I'm going to see what I can do to help this but I fear continuing tonight will only cause carnage and ruin somebody's race. Hopefully I can get this sorted before Road America Endurance.

Sorry guys but good luck to all the others, it looked to be entertaining with the low tyre temps!

Eugene Flerko

Community Member
Reaction score
Lost internet connection during the first qualification session, it was too late to rejoin so I stayed to spectate. And then I lost connection again, this time couldn't manage to connect way too long. When I finally got my internet back again it was late for the second qualification :(
Sorry guys, no luck tonight :(

Thomas Sikora

Community Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys, in the Q2 i lost my Internet connection...still offline

RimanDk

Community Member
Reaction score
Well, if it's not server acting up, or my rig falling apart, apparently it's the game having gremlins... for whatever reason at the switch from quali to race in the second race, my game just quit on me just as surely as if I had hit the old Alt+F4... No warning, no popup, no error. Just back to the desktop, process nowhere to be found. Just great...

Ah, well - Hope the rest of you guys have a pleasant second race =). I was very much looking forward to having more heat in the tyres and consequently more grip... Car didn't exactly give me confidence in the first heat, but quali for the second was a whole different story. Wasn't more than 1½ seconds off the top times, where I was over 2½ seconds slower in quali for the first race and my race pace was about 3½ seconds off the leader's.. so, was really looking forward to this second heat.

Shit happens. Good racing in the first heat!

drukqs

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
quite fun race...once again i had to call it quits for the second race as my misses is arriving earlier than usual from a 12h shift at the hospital and the best i can do for her is a proper dinner.

anyway quite fun and intense race with The Hunter, McCoy and for a brief moment in history with Tao, i acused the pressure and spun on T1. Overall i am happy with the race :D...fun car (altough difficult to follow someone else with the dirty air) and already looking forward to the next one!

Col_McCoy

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
@The Hunter once again sorry for the tap mate.... I hope you also didn't have damage! At least you were back in the Top 5 again later on. I didn't have damage at all... unfortunately one of the slightest tap that really unsettled ur car and dropped you off way of the corner :-(

The Hunter

Community Member
Reaction score
@The Hunter once again sorry for the tap mate.... I hope you also didn't have damage! At least you were back in the Top 5 again later on. I didn't have damage at all... unfortunately one of the slightest tap that really unsettled ur car and dropped you off way of the corner :-(

Don't worry about it, stuff like that happens.

I got away with no damage.

Zemke

Community Member
Reaction score
That was a very fun event! Thank you, RSR, for creating and hosting again. I got disconnected at the end of qualifying for the 2nd race, which was a shame as it looked like I had the pace to battle for a top-10 finish.

Thanks all! Good stuff.

Dama_The_Crow

Community Member
Reaction score
I really like Radical, you can throw it anywhere and he stays on track, but last night it was not the case. I fought with so much oversteer that it was not fun anymore. I didn't have time to properly set up a car.... (I'm still not expert in car setups :) ) Every corner, it was oversteering........

Race 1 it was disaster. I pumped tires to some pressure that obviously was too much. Car was all over the place. In pause for race two, I asked about tire pressures and somebody told me that it is better to be lower cold tires pressure, and instantly I was 1- 2s faster per lap than in race 1 but other things left badly set up so oversteering continued to be a way of life :D

Because of that I mostly was in defending position towards @Taorminator until 21:50 and after that with @Col_McCoy

I was 5th, until last lap last corner where I needed to dodge some car parts on the track from Taorminator's and Cluck's car. Ranj decided to help me climbe that podium. Thank you Ranj but i was clearly too slow :D (just kidding)

See you all in Monte Carlo Formula C

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I went into the race having literally just finished dinner (I was still munching my way through a freshly cooked spaghetti Bolognese whilst the driver briefing was going on) and wasn't really focussed. That led to a far from spectacular first qualifying session, that saw me nearly three quarters of a second off my proper pace - still not enough to trouble @Puffpirat or @miagi of course, their pace was superb.

Into race 1, the first few laps settled into a routine of following miagi and trying to be close enough to harass, hoping that he'd make a mistake. That opportunity arose and at that point it became a game of simply seeing how much time I'd lose to Puff, who was slowly but surely pulling an ever increasing gap to myself. At the same time, I was managing a nice gap to miagi but in the end, it was probably quite a lonely race for the 3 of us, once the initial scraps were done and dusted.

Quali 2 went a bit better but I was still a few tenths down on what I knew I could do. Still, it was again enough to secure 3rd spot on the grid.

Into race 2 and the opening lap was simply bonkers, in all the right ways. Fighting a car that you know doesn't have the grip you want, whilst fighting off 2 very fast people around you, it made for a very intense lap. I only noticed that one of our trio fell back as myself and @Puffpirat approached the final turn but then the sun flare, combined with Puff's presence, saw me lose sight of my entry to turn 1 and I sailed off into the open grass, to get a closer look at the weeds and the fence. With cold tyres, I had to be careful not to spin and by the time I had proper control of the car, the chasing pack were now right on me and so it was that I sat at the exit of turn 2 watching the entire field pass through. It was lap 2 and I was dead last and I now had a whack of front aero and minor suspension damage to add to my woes.

With thoughts now only of trying to make the top 10, to minimise the damage of my own stupid error, I set off.

Top 10 secured, I now had my eyes firmly set on the rear of @Col_McCoy's car and the battle between @Taorminator and @Dama_The_Crow the crow ahead. With those 2 fighting over position and McCoy chasing hard, pulling me along for the ride, it wasn't long before we were within just a few seconds of the fight. Going into the chicane at the end of Bentleys, McCoy must have missed his braking point and went wide off the track.

"There's one" I said to my myself

Then through Bumhole Bomb Hole there appeared to be slight contact between Tao and Dama but whatever actually happened, it saw Dama go wide to the left.

"There's another", I muttered to nobody in particular

Into the final corner and @Taorminator ran wide.

"And that's the last of them" I said to the imaginary friend at my side. "Well done Cluck" came the reply. "Wait, what?" I wondered, why is this imaginary person talking back to me. "Because I'm not imaginary Cluck, you just can't see me because you're wearing your Rift". "No, seriously, there's nobody there" I cried in my head "Go away, you don't exist". An evil laugh echoed in the distance and trailed off. Where was I? Oh yes.

I was only back on the bloody podium :D

Well, now I had a proper fight on my hands. I had a car that had very low straight-line speed - it was bad enough without aero damage - and the suspension damage was making it harder to get round the right-hand corners (of which almost all the fast corners of the circuit are!), and I had @Taorminator chasing hard, eager to reclaim that podium spot. It didn't take long before I ran wide once too often and had to concede the spot. We were soon into the final lap. Was there to be a moment of drama to make this the most dramatic of drama-filled races, ever to grace the drama section of the local library? You bet your ass there was!

Out of the Brundle/Nelson chicane @Ranjanado moved off the track to get clear of @Taorminator . Then, just as we were just about to pass him, he moved back onto the track. There wasn't any contact but it must have really spooked Tao, because he ended up running wide out of Bum Hole Bomb Hole and those kerbs kicked his car straight back into my path.

Young Darth Vader said:
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

It wasn't Tao's fault, he was merely a passenger at the time and so too was I. Spinning off into the grass to the right, my only thoughts were "Dama is back there. I'm in 3rd. It wasn't my fault. I'm off" and so I rejoined the track, with a heavily bruised car and took a much undeserved 3rd place, just a few moments ahead of Dama. I didn't celebrate, I didn't cheer, I didn't congratulate myself on a job well done. My only thoughts at that moment were sympathy for Tao. I'm still not happy that I was effectively gifted that 3rd spot. If I'd finished 4th, I would have been over the moon, knowing that I fought back and earned that spot. @Taorminator , this Bud's for you! @Ranjanado , you should have the 20 quid in your bank account now, cheers mate :D ;).

The combo was a tricky one, with the cold tyres meaning we all had a fight on our hands in the opening lap but I wouldn't have wanted to miss this pair of races for anything, they were both hugely enjoyable and rewarding for different reasons :)

(and spelling/grammar mistakes be damned, I'll check for typos in a minute)

EDIT : And one final thing. Race 1 nearly ended for me when @miagi had a little whoopsie out of the left/right of Brundle and Nelson. Cluck's driving has been upgraded with +5 Ninja Skills

Col_McCoy

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
@Cluck I was so angry for letting you by so easy without a fight :-(.
Didn't even miss my braking point.. car just got unsettled by the left inner curb, spitting the rear to the right.... without the wheels in the right direction unable to brake and I was lucky that I only lost a few seconds... unfortunately with that the upcoming battle between us was gone as well.

For me both Race 1 and Race 2 went pretty well, considering just about 20 minutes of practise, as I didn't want to do a lot since I was 3rd reserve driver... but just last moment I saw I was in fixed so spent a few minutes on it. Like the combi and racing was nice and clean (besides my own mistakes)

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I dunno, my lack of straight-line speed meant I was struggling. Once I was out of your slipstream, you were leaving me behind. It was only the better cornering speed I had that enabled me to stay remotely close to the back of your car. But yeah, it would have been interesting if we'd managed to stick together and the fight between Dama and Tao had continued - that would have made for a crazy 4-way battle :eek:

Ranjanado

Community Member
Reaction score
Looks like I need to go back to induction ASAP for the mess I created in the last lap of the second race!! I'm deeply sorry for that Tao. Thanks for the £20 Cluck - I can buys some Samosas for lunch - money will go to charity (not sure which one).
The car felt great, but my confidence with other cars around me needs a lot of work. Need to keep calm and and believe I shall not bump anybody and nobody will bump into me. Need to switch off my brain when racing and just go with feeling. Hope for better next time round

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Ranj, the only 'mistake' you made was to run wide off the track to the left. If you'd just held your line (or, if you must, cut over to the right, after announcing it first) and taken your foot off the pedal, there would have been no Dama drama at all.

You made a mistake (with frustrating consequences for Tao of course) but you know what you did wrong and you've apologised (profusely). If Tao thought it was really serious, he'd have opened a Steward's Enquiry. He hasn't, so move on to the next race and bear in mind what I wrote in the first paragraph. It's also in our driving standards, that you should keep your actions on track predictable. Going off track, no matter how well intentioned, is going to lead to problems. It is not your responsibility to "just get out of the way", it is our responsibility to get past you safely. Of course, you can help by lifting off the throttle, but don't simply drive off track or do something unpredictable (and un-announced) as the result is what happened last night.

Today is a new day :)

EDIT : Of course, there is no £20, that was just a joke we made last night. The last thing I would do is bribe somebody here to take out another driver.

miagi

Community Member
Reaction score
I really like Radical, you can throw it anywhere and he stays on track, but last night it was not the case. I fought with so much oversteer that it was not fun anymore. I didn't have time to properly set up a car.... (I'm still not expert in car setups :) ) Every corner, it was oversteering........

Race 1 it was disaster. I pumped tires to some pressure that obviously was too much. Car was all over the place. In pause for race two, I asked about tire pressures and somebody told me that it is better to be lower cold tires pressure, and instantly I was 1- 2s faster per lap than in race 1 but other things left badly set up so oversteering continued to be a way of life :D

Because of that I mostly was in defending position towards @Taorminator until 21:50 and after that with @Col_McCoy

I was 5th, until last lap last corner where I needed to dodge some car parts on the track from Taorminator's and Cluck's car. Ranj decided to help me climbe that podium. Thank you Ranj but i was clearly too slow :D (just kidding)

See you all in Monte Carlo Formula C

Was it oversteer or did the car drift too much? Imo the car is good but the tires are nonsense, typical pcars2 tires but still nonsense . The point is the tires get still better at huge slip angles, means where normally you would overturn the wheel and the car would understeer, it turns in stronger. For the front axis it's so far so good but the same applies to the rear axis. Means the rear tires put out their best performance also at very high slip angles, and as the rear axis is not steered this means the car needs to be sideways quite a lot for the rear tires to perform. Leading to huge drifts in several corner. What for a tire like this and a car like this is unrealistic. This tire is unrealistic! Watch any light prototype real life video, while they may produce slightly higher side slip angles than GT4 maybe, it is nowhere near what happens in pcars2. I can also tell you that is not intentional. What should happen is that the tire surface temp should go so high on turn in that the front tire goes into understeer due to temps and is not capable of pulling the car sideways. On GT3 cars soft tire that works but on this light car that stresses the tires much less, the "understeer because of tire surface heat" effects comes way too late and the car drives completely unrealistic.

The reason for this is the tire heating model is bad, sms didn't know how to improve it beyond what we have now but didn't want to ditch it either so instead they tweaked around on the "lateral force vs slip angle" graph to compensate the heat effect. And on some cars the result is ok but on others it's nonsense. And it is always nonsense as long as the tire is to cool for the tire surface heat to explode and it is mostly nonsense on the hard compound (e.g. LMP2 hard compound vs soft).

Dama_The_Crow

Community Member
Reaction score
Not drift, just oversteer. Almost Every corner.

Mearcat

Community Member
Reaction score
I thoroughly enjoyed both races.

I apologise for having to retire from the first race due to attending to my daughter. But managed to get back just in time to do some activity in the quali so I could join race 2.

Race 2 = BLOODY GOOD FUN!!!!!!

Thanks to berzerk for such a good battle for 7th.

Please sir (RSR), can we have more???

Taorminator

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Well, despite everything I had a blast yesterday! :) One of the most enjoyable combos I've raced so far. I love the car can't we just have more goddamnit?? :p (bribing the admins for a Radical series right now... with Ranj's "compensation" money of course ;) )
RACE 1 : I had practiced but set my PB during Q1 so I was very happy. Unfortunately I lost all my advantage in lap 1 as I ran wide but managed not to spin. Good thing is I kept cool and started to chase the guys in front. Towards the end of the race I catched @drukqs and @Col_McCoy and started to apply pressure. Then @drukqs spinned and I didn't react properly to avoid him so we crashed and I couldn't do better than P6 after that.
RACE 2 : Q2 was as good as Q1, improved PB by a tenth but P5 this time. I did a mistake on lap 1 again (I'll never learn) then had a great battle with @Dama_The_Crow after taking advantage from @Col_McCoy 's contact. The battle was so intense and I have to thank you for the fun :) your defense was great and when I saw the opportunity at bum hole I commited (wait, what did I just casually said? :p). It was manly but I did my best to leave you room and keep it fair as all the battle was and I hope it was the same from your POV. As I was quite tense right after that I locked in the last corner and lost the position to @Cluck. (C)luckily he had damage and was struggling so I could catch him back and pass him after he hit the sausage kerb at the last corner. Few minutes to go but race was far from over all I had was to bring the podium home... (sarcasm :p) then in the last lap, 2 corners from the finish, a wild Ranj crossed the road! :p Cluck described the whole event very well and yeah I had to avoid the collision but lost the car and got trown in the air in bomb hole (I understand now why it's called like that there is actually a big deep fcking hole just beyond the kerb). Then the rest you know ^^' @Ranjanado don't blame yourself too much mate we have discussed it, understand what happened and know what could have been done to avoid it. So we're all cool just remember what Cluck said about predictability ;) lessons are learned and as we are (immature) adults we don't need to be upset, it's just a virtual race after all ;) expect a sht ton of jokes & nicknames about it from now on though, you're not getting away with that xD keep the good spirit mate :)

Dama_The_Crow

Community Member
Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread