Project CARS 2 6th May 2018 - A Cold Day In Hell (1 Viewer)

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
OP updated with starting procedure. Please accept our apologies for the delay in updating the post.

For clarity, in case anybody has missed it, or doesn't want to read the OP:

1. Qualifying will take place on the GP circuit

2. Forming up will start on the back straight of the GP layout and the race will start after the NGK/24hr chicane, before joining the Nordschleife circuit, once the last car is clear of the chicane. There will be 2 separate race starts, for the GT3 and GT4 cars. The GT4 cars are NOT to start on the first 'Green Green Green' call, wait for the GT4 call.

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Well, I suppose some practice might have helped. I had zero grip with the colder tyres from the formation lap and binned it into a wall just after Flugplatz (I couldn't make the right-hander). Massive front aero and suspension damage. I really couldn't be bothered to spend 15 minutes limping it back to the pits and then spending over 2 hours driving by myself. Schoolboy error on my part so I'm only annoyed at my own stupidity :(

miagi

Community Member
Reaction score
My internet disconnected and reconnected, took me out of the race.

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
had 100% rear damage twice during night/storm conditions, had no pace, know idea where i was going even with headlights on so retired

Michael

#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score
I joined the server for a couple of minutes to spectate, but it was senseless, half of the field without lights and/or crippled cars. I cannot imagine this was fun to drive...

Eugene Gajkin

RSR Academy
Reaction score
I again did not get to the race, but now I know exactly why I do not see the server. F*****g putin

ProjectPD

Community Member
Reaction score
ss230510.jpg

That moment I knew I am f****

Last edited:

Col_McCoy

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
At least you have 2 wheels on the ground.... @Ashnoom was just floating over the track the whole race, 0 tyres touching the ground... :D

Elodyr

Community Member
Reaction score
So happy I finally got my first podium in this game and especially on this combo. Made 2 mistakes this race which nearly denied it to me, but somehow held on to it.

Ulti

Community Member
Reaction score
The moment Cornworld went the wrong way:D:D:D:D:D

fab. ICEMAN

Staff iRacing
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Had a nice race and the experience with the stormy weather on Nords was really good :)

However, I would really appreciate if I get informed about the change of track for the qualifying at least a day beforehand. It didn't ruin the whole event, but getting told about this 5 min before qualifying is a bit too late imo.

And what do you guys think of adding a fifth time slot so I doesn't rain again? I think everyone in here didn't expect that it was gonna rain a second time. It seems like the weather progression is a bit messed up, but now that we know about it, we could prevent such things.

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
It seems like the weather progression is a bit messed up
It certainly made it exciting watching you both fighting for the lead and to see if u could survive the lap :D

fab. ICEMAN

Staff iRacing
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
It certainly made it exciting watching you both fighting for the lead and to see if u could survive the lap :D
Oh I do believe you :D I went full risk by staying out one lap longer, but as soon as Puffy was going to pull away I was really worried about keeping 2nd place haha

Elodyr

Community Member
Reaction score
Oh I do believe you :D I went full risk by staying out one lap longer, but as soon as Puffy was going to pull away I was really worried about keeping 2nd place haha

I tried so hard to catch up to you when I saw you stayed out. Problem about this was that I was nowhere near your pace and that I wasn't paying attention to the road, but my ICM when entering the pits. Still don't know how I managed to oversee this huge puddle when getting in there. Also not sure how it can be so big after the track itself was completely dried off. Nearly cost me P3 in the end but somehow managed to pull through^^

Zemke

Community Member
Reaction score
Oh man, where to begin with this one?!

This event was my first exposure to the Nurburgring Nordschleife course. And what a trial by fire! Two-and-a-half hours of racing, two separate storm systems to contend with, two separate racing classes, and so many great memories! I went into the event thinking, "This is probably way too much for me. I should just clean the house or walk the dogs instead." But I went for it, and I'm so glad I did!

I qualified 3rd in the GT4 class, which gave me a front-row seat to @Dama_The_Crow calling, "Green! Green! Green!" at the start, then wiping out @Battenberg before we even got to turn one. I felt so bad for both of them. But I was leading the GT4 class! I even got about halfway to the Carousel before I lost control at a heavy braking point and slammed into the barrier. I was so frustrated with myself as I watched the field go by me.
"Oh well. It's all just for fun, right?" I told myself as I limped back around to the pits. I got the car repaired and got back out on track. Even made my way back up to 6th place by the end. And well done, @Mark for your exceptional last lap. I thought I could hold you off for a Top-5 finish, but I just had nothing for you.

Some of the more vivid memories...
1) Right before the race, multiple drivers admitting over Teamspeak (including me!) that we were nervous.
2) Blasting down the Dottinger Hohe straight at full tilt, at night, in a storm, and turning off my headlights for about 3 seconds, just to see how scary it was. (Pretty F***ing scary, by the way!)
3) Physically feeling stiff and sore as the laps wore on. Especially my bum, knees, and shoulders. I had to lay down and take a nap afterwards!
4) @Battenberg passing me during his incredible comeback. His speed was amazing. Also, I thought, "All right, I'll follow this master and really learn something!" And I did, for about 5 corners. Then he went into a huge puddle and got all kinds of sideways. Of course, being the dutiful student, I followed him right into the puddle! We were both very sideways for what seemed like ages in a near-synchronous duet of awesomeness... and then we both recovered! It was incredible and I was giggling for the rest of that lap.
5) Hearing over Teamspeak, "That's wrong way around!" And then a moment later, "Is someone driving the wrong way?!" Oh man, I was dying with laughter! And then I thought, "Wait, he could be just over that rise, or just around this curve, coming at me full tilt and we're about to have a massive head-on collision!" So I slowed down and got off the pavement until it was clear on Teamspeak that things were back under control and all was in order. I didn't get to see it in person, but my imagination was running wild. And the video that @A. Enslin posted above is just as great. I feel bad for @Cornworld, but I still chuckle when I think about it.
6) The lap when we all started to realize that ANOTHER storm system was going to hit us! We were so far into the race and I was just so physically and mentally tired... I have to admit I thought about pulling into the pits and calling it a day. I'm glad I didn't, though. The whole event was great fun and I'm proud to have completed the race.
7) Being exhausted, and euphoric, and sweaty, and caught up in the post-race chatter, I totally FORGOT TO SAVE MY REPLAY! I'm such a moron. Oh well. Let's just do it again next week, eh guys?

Last edited:

Dama_The_Crow

Community Member
Reaction score
This is track that I didn't want to miss in any way. Green Hell is my favorite track and GT4 is maybe my first choice class in PC2, except Porsche Cayman GT4 Clubsport, that car feels like road car for me....

And so it is special, something wrong needs to happen.....

I was a bit surprised that I got GT4 pole, because I didn't practice at all Nurburgring GP layout, but I guess years in PC1 has paid off.

I agree also with @Ashnoom when he said that feels nervous before the beginning, I also was. So when we did forming lap, and GT3 was start, we came to our turn, everything was fine, formation was good, and suddenly, when I said Green, green, green, my f****n virtual desktop pop-out in front of game, and everything of course lost control so my car went straight in wall, hitting in that process @Battenberg (I am really really sorry-that NEVER happened before) I was so confused that I have no idea how did I found mouse with VR on my head and press left click to game window. In that mess I didn't know weather to wait for Battenberg, or quit the game or what to do... I got aero and engine damage (15/20%).

After getting a grip (in my head) I decided to go.... it is my favorite track after all .... So I knew that rain will start falling in lap 2 so I did 2 laps with that damage, went to pits, changed tires, repair car (it lasted about 1,5 minutes I think, maybe more) and just than my race begun.

Lap after lap I was closing guys in front of me, I make my pit-stop strategy 1st wets and 25l fuel, 2nd softs and 60l fuel, and I thought that was it.... Rain in the end totally surprised me, but luckily I was calm and set my wet strategy to no fuel over ICM but had no idea that I need to go 2 laps with that I thought it will be only one... so last lap, after S/F straight almost heart hit me when I realised that maybe I wont have enough fuel...but it was 15 liters in the tank..... :happy:

So first place in GT4 and 8th in overall is nice result. :)

Congratulation @Puffpirat at winning GT3 class. :stig:

I didn't record race, because I had no room on SSD for 2,5 h race so here is replay of 2 laps before pit-stop just to see start disaster:

Last edited:

Dama_The_Crow

Community Member
Reaction score
That moment I knew I am f****

I had that car behavior also... I couldn't do anything in setup that it make it to stop front end jumping....???

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Had a nice race and the experience with the stormy weather on Nords was really good :)

However, I would really appreciate if I get informed about the change of track for the qualifying at least a day beforehand. It didn't ruin the whole event, but getting told about this 5 min before qualifying is a bit too late imo.

And what do you guys think of adding a fifth time slot so I doesn't rain again? I think everyone in here didn't expect that it was gonna rain a second time. It seems like the weather progression is a bit messed up, but now that we know about it, we could prevent such things.
I agree that we, the staff, could have been more timely in announcing the change of qualifying circuit but it was announced in this thread a few days ago, with the OP updated too. It was less than perfect, though, we will admit.

As for weather, there are a maximum of 4 weather slots. Each weather slot takes 1 hour at normal time acceleration, so each 'slot' will take 30 minutes at the 2x acceleration used for this race. Given that it lasted 2.5 hours, that was going to put it into the transition to storm as the race closed out - weather slots don't simply switch from one to another, there is a gradual blend, so this would have been blending Light Cloud -> Storm at the end. Sync-to-race is the ideal of course but it is apparently a little "problematic" so we are probably going to have to use accelerated weather like this in future (we have experienced this ourselves, where some members get very different weather to others as the sync doesn't line-up with others - ie, we've had races where some members have had a completely dry track, whilst others have had to contend with thunderstorm conditions).

The moment Cornworld went the wrong way:D:D:D:D:D
I would like to join in the laughter but I really can't. This is so far beyond dangerous it's not funny. Nords, in the wet, is a treacherous combination by itself, let alone adding somebody driving the wrong way into the mix. I appreciate that in can sometimes be difficult to get your bearings after a spin but this really isn't funny. Sorry to be Mr Dull McSeriousFace but the potential for absolute carnage is massive.

Cornworld

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
We’ll. A interesting race to say the least. First half went well, pace was good and the car felt actually like in practice. Then the fun began. After the pitstop for wets the car felt completely different then in practice (again).

Then all game indicators disappeared, no more proximity, crew chief and indications of going the wright way. That became very clear when me and ( I think Col Mc Coy) had a issue, I spun and 360 all over the place and continued the wrong way. Scared the living daylights out off me when I saw headlights coming at me. Big apologies to all whom I’ve scared on that short endeavour. Had to pit again and then the wets felt like slicks, no grip at all and sliding all over the place.

Must say the pleasure off playing this game is rapidly disappearing atm. To many issues that not only affect me but also the pack I’m racing in. So, until further notice I’m not going to play it anymore.

Last edited:

Tom

Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
when I said Green, green, green, my f****n virtual desktop pop-out in front of game, and everything of course lost control so my car went straight in wall, hitting in that process @Battenberg (I am really really sorry-that NEVER happened before)

Shit happens, I had only minor suspension & aero damage that I could drive around. It was such a long race, and I got back up to 3rd at one point, so it didn't affect me too badly. I ruined my own race multiple times with many puddle related dramas, I definitely should have practiced more beforehand.

4) @Battenberg passing me during his incredible comeback. His speed was amazing. Also, I thought, "All right, I'll follow this master and really learn something!" And I did, for about 5 corners. Then he went into a huge puddle and got all kinds of sideways. Of course, being the dutiful student, I followed him right into the puddle! We were both very sideways for what seemed like ages in a near-synchronous duet of awesomeness... and then we both recovered! It was incredible and I was giggling for the rest of that lap.

Yep! I got a chuckle out of that too. "Watch this!" :D

Users who are viewing this thread