General PC help/advice (1 Viewer)

Invincible

Community Member
Reaction score
Strewth, OK. But you're running a crappy AMD processor and Corsair RAM so that's probably why :p :D

How dare you... That's the first ADM processors series that is NOT crappy since probably 2005.
I'll give you the RAM though. :shifty:

Regarding GPU's.... I knew the prices have risen pretty much, but currently, they're beyond ridiculous. The cheapest 1070ti I've found is 640 €. Which is over 150 € more than what I paid for my 1080. o_O

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Can we have that „optimistic“ rating back? :p

2scoops

RSR Family
Community Member
Reaction score
Does it matter what soundcard you use to install a transducer under the seat?

Jaco P.

Community Member
Reaction score
I need to reinstall my Windows...

How do I backup my PC2 user profile?
Do I even have to do this or is my profile saved in Steam (probably it is not..)?

Also do Windows 10 really activate automatically and there is no need to enter product key? I performed that free Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade but since then (two, three years ago) I did not reinstall my Windows yet so I do not know how this goes..

Tnx!

Michael

#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score
@Jaco P. If you haven't done yet, I would advise to login with a LIVE account, so that the Windows license is then connected to it. After re-installing, log in with the LIVE account and it should be activated automatically, you can then switch to a local user profile, if prefered.

The important PCARS stuff is in your Documents folder, just back it up completely (the Documents folder I mean), there may be more stuff in, you want to keep.

Tom

Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Does it matter what soundcard you use to install a transducer under the seat?
Laaate reply, but I shouldn't think so. The ButtKicker system just uses an analogue audio input, and does the low pass filtering on the amplifier end, so as long as you can split the game audio into another feed for the amp (either in driver control panel, or a Y audio cable) I reckon you should be fine.

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
@Jaco P. - As @Shepard has pointed out, just back up the Project CARS 2 folder from My Documents and you should be OK. That said, you only really want the car setups and pictures/replays. I would let the game recreate the graphics and controller configs afresh and then manually configure those areas again.

Personally, unless I had a mountain of setups I wanted to save, I'd just bin the lot (which I did last week :eek:).

Owfier

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Not sure if this belongs in this thread, but anyway. I tried uploading a post with a picture in on another thread, but it never shows the picture after I post the reply. Am I doing something wrong or is this normal? The image URL's I used were from Gyazo and Imgur.

Thank you for your help already!

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Not sure if this belongs in this thread, but anyway. I tried uploading a post with a picture in on another thread, but it never shows the picture after I post the reply. Am I doing something wrong or is this normal? The image URL's I used were from Gyazo and Imgur.

Thank you for your help already!
Do you get no picture at all, a red x or what? I would say "take a screenshot and post it" but, you know, that might be the stupidest suggestion I'll make all week :D

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
B4C676CB-127C-47FE-848A-56ABEDD5E3FC.jpeg

I’m going out in a limb here and point out that after uploading you still have to insert it, either as a thumbnail or full image.

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
@Owfier - I've just taken a look at your posts.

For imgur, don't use the 'Image' icon in the toolbar above the message box, just paste the IMGUR page link directly into the post.
For the other site (gyazo?), right-click on the image and choose properties to get the website location of the image, copy that into memory and then use the Insert Image icon and paste that link in. That should sort you out :)

Alternatively, you can use Puff's suggestion, which involves uploading the image from your hard drive.

EDIT : Added a pic to show what I meant re. the gyazo image link. As per above, after right-clicking the image, click Properties to show the box being pointed at.

Attachments

• owfier-help.jpg
    owfier-help.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:

Owfier

RSR Academy
Reaction score

Just a quick test, weird that it now does work, thanks all for the help. Although won't be posting this pic anymore since it isn't useful anymore :p

Laiders

RSR Academy
Reaction score
My PC has got slow and hopeless doing normal tasks, especially since upgrading to Windows 10.

Thinking it could be hard drives causing it to go slow? The main drive is 5 years old and nearly full. Frame rates in game seem OK including when using the DK2.

I'm thinking of going to a SSD/HDD combo and a fresh Windows install to try and speed things up. Considering changing CPU (i5-4570 to i5-8400) and RAM (8GB DDR 3 to 16GB DDR 4) at the same time, but not sure what kind of real world performance increase this might give in games and general computing?

GPU is a GTX 970 which I'm not planning to change for now.

Is there anything else that's prone to getting tired/slowing down hardware wise or should my old CPU/RAM function well with new hard drives and a fresh install?

Attachments

• upgrade options.JPG
    upgrade options.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 285

Invincible

Community Member
Reaction score
You could get a good boost by a new hard drive, especially an SSD. And the fact that your old one is nearly full might slow things down too. Then a fresh install of windows will also be noticeable if you don't carry over all that junk from years ago.
If I were in your shoes and not generally wanting to upgrade, would go with the SSD first and start clean.
Something like a 1000GB Crucial MX500 or a 960GB Kingston A400. They shouldn't be too expensive (roughly £180-ish).
Also, don't forget to clean up the hardware too (fans, heatspreaders, power supply unit).

If the performance then still doesn't satisfy you, you can still opt for a new mainboard, CPU and RAM.

Last edited:

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I upgraded from an i5-3570K to the i5-8600k (my motherboard packed up) and in all honesty I'm not sure the CPU is the limiting factor in a lot of cases. Your biggest gain, as Invincible suggests, will be from the change to SSD. It will improve some games, even once they've loaded due to the much faster access of the drive in case new assets need to be loaded mid-game.

If you're going to have a mix of SSD and HDD in your system and your budget is tight, get a 500GB SSD for Windows and the most crucial games you want to play and load everything else on the main HDD.

Laiders

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. Sounds like the mobo/CPU/RAM probably isn't going to achieve a lot for £400, will start with the hard drive.

Hadn't considered getting one big SSD, going to order a 1TB MX500 and a new case (been using my current one for 13 years!). Hopefully that'll give a new computer feel and speed boost without the cost of a full upgrade!

javoresku

Community Member
Reaction score
I just found in the worst way possible that a 600W power supply is not enough for my PC anymore. PC just turned off and smoke started coming from the power supply. Now it won't turn on.
I obviously need to replace it, but the question is how big do I need to go? Recently upgraded from 970 GTX to 1080ti, CPU is i7 3820, motherboard is Asrock Extreme something... 1 SSD and two HDD drives. Oculus Rift is coming too.

Users who are viewing this thread