Project CARS 2 Race school suggestion (1 Viewer)

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
discords great too, and *cough* allows a lot of things that teamspeak doesn't
We are not having that discussion please! Discord does more harm than good.

SteveO916

Community Member
Reaction score
Braking Technique and consequently braking points. I always used to brake by feel and am only just starting to use braking markers. I always suffer on the brakes as I don't think I brake late enough because I never hit the pedal as hard as I could(or if I do I lock up(so lower brake pressure needed?) and lose a bit of time into every corner. Also when I do try to brake late it feels a bit of a panic.

also I sometimes struggle to do fast laps on my own, I can always go faster when I can see somebody to chase
(and then usually crash when I get near them!) When I raced endurance for real I always did the (le mans style) start so that there would be plenty of bikes around for me to try and tag onto, my 2 team mates were better at setting quick times in clean space.

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
I always suffer on the brakes as I don't think I brake late enough because I never hit the pedal as hard as I could(or if I do I lock up(so lower brake pressure needed?) and lose a bit of time into every corner
I can almost guarantee it's the opposite. You probably are trying to brake too late because it "feels fast". Brake earlier, until you always hit your apex and remember that (almost always) lining up your exit will return you more time than braking at the last possible moment.

This really old video from Skip Barber is actually one of the best at explaining this. Tolerate / ignore the cheesy old footage and listen to what he is saying on corner entries and exits.
Skip Barber - Going Faster

Mearcat

Community Member
Reaction score
Right, hopefully I have more spare time now my personal bits are out of the way.

I have worked on an Idea with some input from a few other members but I need about 3 slower paced drivers and 3 faster paced drivers to test the format.

The practice will cover the idea of a rolling or "convoy" start.

The idea is:
  • The slower pace drivers in red liveries with fuel settings to rich allowing them to have the full performance.
  • The faster pace drivers in white with fuel settings to either lean or normal to begin with hopefully bringing performance levels equal to the slower drivers.
  • For the first set of laps white cars are positioned ahead with the red ones behind. The reds, although they have greater performance over the whites at this point, are to remain behind the reds as closely as possible but avoid any contact and also stay on the track.
  • After 3 laps of the reds chasing the whites, the red cars are then to attempt a clean overtake
  • After the overtake the roles are to be reversed with whites now chasing reds but remaining behind them for 3 laps, after which a clean overtake can be attempted. The white cars are permitted to increase the fuel setting giving them full performance as well.
  • As the session continues, the small groups of cars may begin to group together forming convoys (what happens when this occurs I need to work out)
The premises for the practice is to build confidence in basic braking, throttle and steering control for the less experienced drivers whilst chasing other vehicles and also being chased by a faster car.

For the end of the session we will attempt a RSR rolling start hopefully applying the above practice to obtain a clean start where hopefully we can then have a short sprint race to tie it all off.

The calendar is clear at present for Friday 11th and Monday 14th, so I am looking for anyone who would be available for 1 of those evenings to help test if this format works. The cars and tracks have been organised and will be running default setups.

Let me know below.

SBart_uk

Community Member
Reaction score
Count me in,
I can do Monday for sure but can only make Friday if it starts between 5-8pm(BST).

I'm not sure the fuel mix will decrease performance enough. The one time I've tested it, it only made a couple of tenths difference at most (in Indycar). Maybe changing the air restrictor would give a finer control over performance and could balance everyones car better?

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
The faster pace drivers in white with fuel settings to either lean or normal to begin with hopefully bringing performance levels equal to the slower drivers.
You can use Balance of Power for this I think. I believe I could also do Monday and happy to help

Just experience of having a faster (or perceived faster) car behind you is actually very useful. You actually don't even need "better" drivers, just faster cars :)

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
The practice will cover the idea of a rolling or "convoy" start.
i think it would be best to keep things simple and only call it a rolling start. Just make things less confusing.

As for dates, I’m not around until Sunday so I can be around on monday night.

I would be tempted to try ginetta G40J for the white cars(more experienced) and gt5 for red cars. I think some of us could drive the g40j just as quick as some drive the gt5.

Taorminator

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I would like to be part of this as well :) could you remind me on which days do you wanna do it?

Mearcat

Community Member
Reaction score
This is to test the idea.

It looks like Monday would be a good bet then so will be on from about 18:00 UTC (19:00 UK time).

the fuel setting is the one I know of to reduce/increase performance whilst in the car (using the ICM). Just saves pitting to change settings. I tried it with a GTE last night and found it brought my lap times down towards that of a new starter.

It would be best to try and use the same car for all and find a way of changing the performance output so we end up with a fast then slow version of the same car. I will conduct some tests over the coming days as I was leaning towards the ginetta GT5.

Laserbeak43

Community Member
Reaction score
As long as I can clear time on either day. I'd love to pilot a red car. I'll be sure to do my best to clear the schedule @ 18:00 UTC.

Jaco P.

Community Member
Reaction score
I'd love to give it a try..but not sure when I'll have time.
Just post the agenda and if I'll be around I'll be joining.

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Isn't monday an usual ranked race day?
yeah - it is now. They just announced a Monday race last night. Sorry guys, but I'll either be doing this or practicing for my first endurance race, now that they've posted time targets

Taorminator

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
yeah - it is now. They just announced a Monday race last night. Sorry guys, but I'll either be doing this or practicing for my first endurance race, now that they've posted time targets
Wouldn't it be wise to change the school day then?

Laserbeak43

Community Member
Reaction score
Yeah, looking forward to this school thing.

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Yeh just seen it, would Wednesday be good?

Or if people want to, we could run it after induction on Tuesday? but that could be a bit late for most.
Wednesday will be better. Induction doesnt finish until 21:00-21:30GMT (20:00-20:30UTC??). also from a staff side of things it would be good for at least 1 of us to be present which would be not ideal after induction

Last edited:

SteveO916

Community Member
Reaction score
Is this happening tonight? looks like I may actually be available

Laserbeak43

Community Member
Reaction score
Is this happening tonight? looks like I may actually be available
I've skimmed through and don't see a time. Was that posted in this thread or another? Can't remember....

Users who are viewing this thread