Project CARS 2 Race school suggestion (1 Viewer)

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score

SteveO916

Community Member
Reaction score
Thanks to @Mearcat for organising this and to @Darksi @Jonno @Jamesl91 for "instructing". I'm sure we have all learnt something from this.

For me it was good to be able to try to do some consistent laps behind another car (even if they were going slow so I could keep up). This is something I try to do when practicing/racing against the AI and just the other day did about 15 laps of lemans without even noticing because I was hot on the tail of an AI car(now set at 90%) the whole time. (I only stopped because I had to pit for fuel)

I noticed I did make more mistakes with another car behind, probably by over driving to try and keep them behind (then having the opposite effect by giving them the opportunity to get past)

It was also good to see other "experienced" people making mistakes, so it's not just me!

I've learnt some other important lessons from that session too.
1. I may have fixed my wheel disconnection issue, however there may still be some settings I need to check to get it back to how it was. The G40 felt like it had a big deadzone in the middle and there was a lot of "wobble" in the steering.

2. don't drive a GT1/LMP car before racing a G40 - made it really difficult to adjust to the turn in points and I kept missing them and running wide.(point 1 probably didn't help either)

3. My system wasn't set to be sociable. Car volume was waaaay too loud(and consequently crew chief even louder) which drowns out (almost) everybody on teamspeak. (due to being partly deaf - pardon, from years riding bikes before I discovered earplugs)

4. I can't race & talk at the same time.

5. I need to actually press my push to talk button when I do speak.

6. I've only had a pc for 5 months (xbox for a year before that), I expect too much of myself, I'm still learning.

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Your more than welcome! We are always here to help should you need it. It was fun trying to keep you behind and overtake you. But u drove really well as did everyone that attended

Mearcat

Community Member
Reaction score
Yes Thanks to all that joined in.

Think the format worked.

I just need to do some tweaks to it such as splitting it up with the practice quali and Race sessions in game thus limiting the number of laps so we can compress it into either a 30 or 45 minute session, and a little more discipline for staying on topic, so we can have a quick 12 lap race at the end to apply the practice sessions events to round the evening off. It was a bit longer than planned but I hope it was a fun start to something a bit more structured.

everything covered should form subject ??Rolling starts and 1st lap drafting??

The elements we practiced in the session covered drafting situations, situational awareness, adjusted braking points and simple pressure (as in psychological) management.

Other subjects could coalesce some of the other basic racing skills and we could then start running further events swapping over the different subjects, (1 week subject 1, following week subject 2, next back to subject 1 etc) so we end up practicing them until we all can do beautiful harmonious crash.... I mean racing.

Other more advanced stuff such as overtaking manoeuvres may have to be split up covering 1 technique per session as not to overload people.

The format I believe will work would be a series of subjects rather than official lessons, as this will suit a more flexible practice meet up, allowing people to agree on what they would work on (Rolling starts, setup and testing methods, cornering methods, overtaking techniques etc).

The other part of this will be a suitable time for the event. Wednesdays are ok but some may struggle with this so suggestions are welcome possible that the only other day would be a Friday, I'm not sure.

So I am hoping for more ideas, or if people have worked on a layout and want to try it as we have done for the first subject, let us know.

Last edited:

Ranjanado

Community Member
Reaction score
This was awesome Mearcat. Many thanks good mate and a big thanks to James and Jonno for helping me with braking points, gears and racing lines. These sessions are the best way to learn from experience and in the process it teaches race etiquette and respect for other racers on the track. A great follow up to the induction sessions.
Pass induction and pass racing school to become a full RSR Probation racer. Might be an idea. Will promote cleaner racing I think (Thank god this came up after I passed Induction);).

Mearcat

Community Member
Reaction score
Ok, this should be a suitable layout that can be assigned to a session setup and form a forum post that could be used. Bare in mind these would still only be a voluntary pier to pier session. I will be using the "rolling Start" session experiment as a base:

Rolling Start and Formation Practice

Open to: All

Class: GT5
Track: ??? any short track (eg Donnington national/silverstone Stowe)
Setups: Locked to Default - choices allowed (if problems occur eg. steering ratios, setups revert to gentleman agreement)

Date:
???
18:30 UTC - Driver Briefing (Mandatory)
18:40 UTC - Session 1 (Practice Session)
19:10 UTC - Session 2 (Qualify Session)
19:30 UTC - Final event (Race Session)

Session Settings
In Game Session Times:
13:00
Weather Settings: Clear
Weather Progression: Sync to Race
Practice: 30 minutes
Qualifying: 20 minutes
Race: 12 laps
Debrief: 5-10 minutes

Realism Settings
Force Realistic Driving Aids:
Yes
Force Manual Pitstops: Yes
Tire Wear: Authentic
Fuel Depletion: Yes

Session 1 (Practice)
tasks:
Drivers are to pare up prior to server start, (preferable Pro/Am format) choosing contrasting liveries.
Driver pairs are then to exit the pits and proceed to perform a set of laps consisting of the lead driver driving a steady, cautious race pace and the following driver to remain as close to the rear bumper as their skill allows without overtaking. after 2 laps the rear driver is to attempt an overtake where if successful the positions and rolls switch.
Repeat this process until the session ends.

Session 2 (Qualifying)
Tasks:

The whole group are to exit from the pits on to the track at 50mph/80kph. Lead vehicle is to be a Pro driver.

All vehicles are to form up bumper to bumper (aka column/convoy) following the general rules of a RSR Rolling start.
With all vehicles in formation, lead driver is to steadily increase speeds each lap until reach general race pace. All other vehicles are to remain behind the lead vehicle
without overtaking each other but remaining as close to the car in front as their skill allows.

Drivers that spin during the slower laps are permitted to increase pace to rejoin the rear of the pack. During the final laps at race pace, it would be preferable to wait for the pack to pass and rejoin at the rear.

Session 3 (Race)
Starting Procedure:
Rolling Start, the pole driver will lead the field through the formation lap. The speed limit for the lead car will be 50mph / 80kph. We are going to form up in a 2×2 formation at the beginning of sector 3, maintaining our speed. Odd numbers on the right and even numbers on the left.
Tasks:
Final race session with a full RSR rolling start. Skills from the previous sessions should be utilised during the start in order to avoid collisions.

All those interested please sign up if you wish to attend for an idea of grid start numbers.

Warning - that's not an invite to a session! (yet)

So I think that would be a good format to follow if others have any other subjects they would want to work on to create a practice/lesson that we could run, tell us and we'll work on the layout.
*edited in accord with suggestions

Last edited:

Ranjanado

Community Member
Reaction score
Ok, this should be a suitable layout that can be assigned to a session setup and form a forum post that could be used. Bare in mind these would still only be a voluntary pier to pier session. I will be using the "rolling Start" session experiment as a base:

Rolling Start and Formation Practice

Open to: All

Class: GT5
Track: ??? any short track (eg Donnington national/silverstone Stowe)
Setups: Locked to Default - choices allowed (if problems occur eg. steering ratios, setups revert to gentleman agreement)

Date:
???
18:30 UTC - Driver Briefing (Mandatory)
18:40 UTC - Session 1 (Practice Session)
19:00 UTC - Session 2 (Qualify Session)
19:20 UTC - Final event (Race Session)

Session Settings
In Game Session Times:
13:00
Weather Settings: Clear
Weather Progression: Sync to Race
Practice: 20 minutes
Qualifying: 20 minutes
Race: 12 laps
Debrief: 5-10 minutes

Realism Settings
Force Realistic Driving Aids:
Yes
Force Manual Pitstops: Yes
Tire Wear: Authentic
Fuel Depletion: Yes

Session 1 (Practice) Duration: 20 minutes
tasks:
Drivers are to pare up prior to server start, (preferable Pro/Am format) choosing contrasting liveries.
Driver pairs are then to exit the pits and proceed to perform a set of laps consisting of the lead driver driving a steady, cautious race pace and the following driver to remain as close to the rear bumper as their skill allows without overtaking. after 2 laps the rear driver is to attempt an overtake where if successful the positions and rolls switch.
Repeat this process until the session ends.

Session 2 (Qualifying) Duration: 20 minutes
Tasks:

The whole group are to exit from the pits on to the track at 50mph/80kph. Lead vehicle is to be a Pro driver.

All vehicles are to form up bumper to bumper (aka column/convoy) following the general rules of a RSR Rolling start.
With all vehicles in formation, lead driver is to steadily increase speeds each lap until reach general race pace. All other vehicles are to remain behind the lead vehicle
without overtaking each other but remaining as close to the car in front as their skill allows.

Drivers that spin during the slower laps are permitted to increase pace to rejoin the rear of the pack. During the final laps at rac paces it would be preferable to wait for the pack to pass and rejoin at the rear.

Session 3 (Race) Duration: 12 laps (or 20 minutes)
Starting Procedure: Rolling Start, the pole driver will lead the field through the formation lap. The speed limit for the lead car will be 50mph / 80kph. We are going to form up in a 2×2 formation at the beginning of sector 3, maintaining our speed. Odd numbers on the right and even numbers on the left.
Tasks:
Final race session with a full RSR rolling start. Skills from the previous sessions should be utilised during the start in order to avoid collisions.

All those interested please sign up if you wish to attend for an idea of grid start numbers.

Warning - that's not an invite to a session! (yet)

So I think that would be a good format to follow if others have any other subjects they would want to work on to create a practice/lesson that we could run, tell us and we'll work on the layout.
Looks good to me mate

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Nicely thought out! Maybe 30mins for practice just so there’s some extra time for each pair should they need to work on some aspects of the lap?

For example, 10minutes to get used to following closely, 10mins for car 2 to try overtaking and 10mins for car 2 to be infront defending/getting used to being chased

wabi

Community Member
Reaction score
Seems to be very interesting format. I would like to participate.

Zemke

Community Member
Reaction score
I'm very interested.

As for other topics, I would like to learn how to go through corners better when I'm 2-wide with another car. Being on the inside, I understand I mostly need to slow down a bit more than normal and hold my line on the inside curb. But when I'm on the outside, more often than not, I usually mess something up and go spinning off the corner.

Tom

Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Lovely stuff @Mearcat, that's looking very slick. I'd be interested in taking part (pending availability).

You should also consider how we use ts in the first session, overlapping chatter and instructions can be confusing, we could look into creating private rooms for the pairs.

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Lovely stuff @Mearcat, that's looking very slick. I'd be interested in taking part (pending availability).

You should also consider how we use ts in the first session, overlapping chatter and instructions can be confusing, we could look into creating private rooms for the pairs.
have already mentioned to mearcat about use of whisper, but definitely worth looking into

Reactions: Tom

Mearcat

Community Member
Reaction score
I would like to learn how to go through corners better when I'm 2-wide

Cornering techniques - Listed

Was considering this but needed to confirm with admin if this would be ok as it could end up using quite a few of the channels. The whisper function I only came across after James told me about it. But yes definitely something to consider.

Last edited:

Cartman_SP69

Community Member
Reaction score
Good day Mearcat Good work, I would also join when these events start as there is always something new to learn, and in my opinion joining sessions like this can only better my skills and i have nothing to loose. Kudos for setting this up and i'm sure this will be appreciated by a lot of members here at RSR.

Mearcat

Community Member
Reaction score
Ok, I will be shifting the list of topics into the OP so I can track what we want to work on to improve.

Help with figuring formats for these other topics would be greatly appreciated.

Keep listing anything you guys want to have a practice session for as it will hopefully help everyone get a safer closer race.

Last edited:

Ranjanado

Community Member
Reaction score
Racing in traffic sounds good to me mate. Starting slow and gradually increasing the pace

Users who are viewing this thread