Project CARS 2 Question Thread (1 Viewer)

Taorminator

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
So, today I tested all 3 cars (except the Astra which I don't own) all on default loose setup at COTA national with the correct environmental conditions. I really found some interesting stuff, every car has its own strengths/weaknesses/handling BUT I found that performance shouldn't be evaluated on shear pace only! I will provide you the full results as soon as possible :) it should help us make a decision

Pierre CREUSEVAULT

RSR Academy
Reaction score
If someone is interested i'll make a practice session at 16:00 UTC ! :)

Edit : Server Up! Password is rsr123 ;)

Last edited:

The Breeze

Social Media
RSR Academy
Reaction score
I think the Merc is a little faster ... couple of tenths, but the Astra looks and feels more like a real car. I expect to be more consistent in the Astra because of the better feedback so I go for that one. Of course I picked the only Dutch orange coloured car ;)

zY1N3Pm.jpg

Taorminator

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Ok guys, here are the results of my little BOP analysis :

All cars were tested in an offline quali session at COTA National on the date and time stated in the information thread with default loose setup (80L of fuel for each car).

BMW 320 TCR :

The car is absolutely unforgiving over the curbs of the esses in S1, a slight touch sucks the car in an awful snap oversteer. For the rest of the track, the car has a general tendency to understeer mid corner but corner exit traction is excellent. Performance peaks in the 2 first laps then falls off a massive cliff as all 4 tyres work just above 105°C. Below is the session analysis and variance from best lap (1:37:6) :

BMW320.jpg

Note how time is never recovered after the esses which cook the tyres hard and impacts the rest of the lap.

Renault Megane SMS-R :

First thing you realize is the much much better curb behaviour of this car compared to the BMW. The car feels safe and settled and if it suddenly wants to go sideways, a hard throttle to the floor usually put her back were you wanna go. The advantage to the BMW in this sector is clear and massive but I was sceptical when I saw the lap times (best 1:38:5 avg 1:39:1) :

MEGANE1.jpg

Then I realized I had forgotten how to drive a FWD and went for another run. That data could still represent an unexperienced driver. When driving it like you should, the car feel a little bit too stable but the lap time gain is huge :

MEGANE2.jpg

The drop in performance is very little compared to the BMW and best time is nearly equal.

Mercedes A45 TCR :

The behaviour is very similar to the Megane : good curb stability, slightly better cornering grip, a bit more lift off oversteer but not nearly enough. What's interesting though is that tyre consistency isn't the same at all! When the Renault's tyre retain a decent amouont of grip when overheated, the Merc's tyre give their traction away :

MERCA45.jpg

Best lap (1:37:7) is a bit behind the BMW but average lap is nearly the same and could be slightly better because lap 10 is a mistake and biases the data.

Comparison of the 3 cars :

As you can see below, the BMW loses a lot of time to its FWD counterparts in the esses section because of her curb riding disadvantage. What it loses there she makes it up gradually in the high traction zones and long straights thanks to its better top speed.

COMP1.jpg

COMP3.jpg

COMP2.jpg

Here is a table that simplifies it all :

COMP4.jpg

My conclusion is that the BMW and the Mercedes are pretty close together mainly because they are strong in places the other is weak. It's 2 totally different cars but when it comes to how their tyres behave, you can see the average lap time match. The BMW has an advantage in traction at the exit of the corner but the Merc has an advantage riding them. FWD cars demand a totally different driving style to drive fast, the BMW might be more natural to reach a decent pace without really caring but is also less forgiving. Tyre management will be key this season. About the Renault, I think the data speaks for itself... It's OP reputation is confirmed mainly because it's both fast and the tyres don't loose much traction when overheated.

My suggestion would be to avoid the Megane and add the BMW to the authorized cars list for more variety and exciting races. It might have an advantage in quali but that will be negated by reverse grid and the fact that the Merc matches its average race pace on hot tyres.

You have all the cards, choice is yours :)

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
And where are the Opel data @Taorminator? You left out the best car :'( :'(

steveg200

RSR Academy
Reaction score
And where are the Opel data @Taorminator? You left out the best car :'( :'(

Team Name: MaFIA Racing
Car: Mercedes-AMG A 45 SMS-R Touring
Preferred Livery: NVRR Motorsports #14 #15
Forum Name Driver #1 @Puffpirat
Forum Name Driver #2 @t0daY
I see you like the Opel so much you didnt pick it Mr Manu :)

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Team Name: MaFIA Racing
Car: Mercedes-AMG A 45 SMS-R Touring
Preferred Livery: NVRR Motorsports #14 #15
Forum Name Driver #1 @Puffpirat
Forum Name Driver #2 @t0daY
I see you like the Opel so much you didnt pick it Mr Manu :)
Car choice is still a team decision and not mine alone. Besides I picked the BMW last season, you saw how it went for @Puffpirat in the first couple races.

Also I drive an Opel myself in RL, nothing wrong in liking a car and not running it? Or is that a crime?

The Breeze

Social Media
RSR Academy
Reaction score
Hi Manu @t0daY , please move me from reserve to driver list .... most of holiday cancelled so will only miss 1 race:)
Many thanks in advance.

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score

FuBii

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Question, there's some tracks where the racing line exceeds the boundaries as determined by the white line.
the old A1 ring is notorious, I wont even go into detail.
Silverstone International T5 - going onto the back straight. I believe we've extended the limits here previously for the clio cup.
COTA - The daft chicance before the back straight might as well not be there.
Barcelona - exit of the 2nd to last corner.

Minor cuts for the quick left right at both the bugatti & indy courses if you miss the turning point. < shouldn't be an issue imo

Are we likely to be making any exceptions for the two wheels rule?

Jonno

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Question, there's some tracks where the racing line exceeds the boundaries as determined by the white line.
the old A1 ring is notorious, I wont even go into detail.
Silverstone International T5 - going onto the back straight. I believe we've extended the limits here previously for the clio cup.
COTA - The daft chicance before the back straight might as well not be there.
Barcelona - exit of the 2nd to last corner.

Minor cuts for the quick left right at both the bugatti & indy courses if you miss the turning point. < shouldn't be an issue imo

Are we likely to be making any exceptions for the two wheels rule?
and here come the excuses for rapid times lol......... unless stated its 2 wheels on the tarmac lol;););)

RdMracer

Community Member
Reaction score
Would there be a fair way to switch with a reserve driver who wants to participate for the full season in my place?
I would like to become a reserve myself instead, because people keep planning stuff on my free thursdays...

Iceman07

Community Member
Reaction score
In case the stuff can need some help, I've got enough time right now to help with the results & standings

FuBii

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Curiosity got the better of me - what happened to the pCars manager/ staff member? haha
Though I don't think that the game will last that much longer as people move more towards AMS2, ACC or iRacing

RdMracer

Community Member
Reaction score
Curiosity got the better of me - what happened to the pCars manager/ staff member? haha
Though I don't think that the game will last that much longer as people move more towards AMS2, ACC or iRacing

He started doing marathons and he's bloody fit now. :cool:

Ricardo

Staff Assetto Corsa
#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score
Curiosity got the better of me - what happened to the pCars manager/ staff member?
What do you mean? and what's missing??

Users who are viewing this thread