iRacing Chit Chat (2 Viewers)

Bassetts

Community Member
Reaction score
Didn't quite get there last week, but nice start to the weekend, lets see if I can hold it above 2K :)

upload_2016-11-19_9-37-23.png

Gxbbs

Community Member
Reaction score
It's people like this that really put me off...

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
^^^ What an utter tool :(

Gxbbs

Community Member
Reaction score
He didn't like you did he
No and what from what I can work out, he did that because I managed to hang it around the outside of him on t1 and he wanted to pass me.

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
No and what from what I can work out, he did that because I managed to hang it around the outside of him on t1 and he wanted to pass me.

Report him to iRacing, trust me they will take car of him..

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I just fired up iRacing for the first time and had a quick go in the MX5 Cup at the Okayama track in 'Test' mode.

1. FFB was more numb than a numb finger in a block of ice. I need to sort that out as it was quite disconcerting.
2. Oculus Rift worked perfectly
3. Sound was passable, certainly enough to keep me on the track
4. Did a 1m50 lap after a few laps on the default setup but have absolutely no idea how that compares?
5. Braking felt really weird, but that might be due to the lack of wheel feedback

I have to admit, it was better than I was expecting it to be (other than the numb wheel feedback) :)

EDIT : Also, interesting track too. Never heard of it before, never seen any footage of it, let alone driven it.

Last edited:

Pamellaaa

Founding Member
Community Member
Reaction score
I just fired up iRacing for the first time and had a quick go in the MX5 Cup at the Okayama track in 'Test' mode.

1. FFB was more numb than a numb finger in a block of ice. I need to sort that out as it was quite disconcerting.
2. Oculus Rift worked perfectly
3. Sound was passable, certainly enough to keep me on the track
4. Did a 1m50 lap after a few laps on the default setup but have absolutely no idea how that compares?
5. Braking felt really weird, but that might be due to the lack of wheel feedback

I have to admit, it was better than I was expecting it to be (other than the numb wheel feedback) :)

EDIT : Also, interesting track too. Never heard of it before, never seen any footage of it, let alone driven it.
Lap time is not a million miles away, race pace would be low 49s and a mid 48 is pretty good for qualifying, worth remembering with this though that track grip levels vary quite a lot (deliberately) from session to session to its hard to know how representative lap times are unless they are done in an official qualifying or race setup.

The track is interesting isn't it, various bits of it remind me of various fictional Gran Turismo tracks from years back, I quite like it although the first and 5th corner are frustratingly too fast for second and too slow for 3rd in the Mazda.

F1-Masa

Community Member
Reaction score
turn ffb setting linear that feels little more.

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
turn ffb setting linear that feels little more.
Thanks Masa, that helped a lot (once I increased the FFB strength aswell). That got my time down to a v.low 1m49. Still not confident with the brakes in this car (it's the global cup MX5, just to be clear - didn't notice there were 2 others :eek:), it just seems to stop without any noise or anything. It's quite disconcerting. And when the tail comes round, there's not really any advance warning - no audio or FFB clues that it's happening. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but certainly making progress :).

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Thanks Masa, that helped a lot (once I increased the FFB strength aswell). That got my time down to a v.low 1m49. Still not confident with the brakes in this car (it's the global cup MX5, just to be clear - didn't notice there were 2 others :eek:), it just seems to stop without any noise or anything. It's quite disconcerting. And when the tail comes round, there's not really any advance warning - no audio or FFB clues that it's happening. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but certainly making progress :).

You hear the rear tires squeezing. Thats usually the indicator that the tail comes round :) About the braking, try only 60-70% brake input, everything else will lock up your tires^^

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
The trouble I was finding was that there were no audio or FFB clues to help me hear or feel what the car was doing. It's as if I'm having to learn the steps involved to driving the car, rather than just getting in and driving naturally. Despite what some people say, pCARS has spoiled me in this regard, I usually know exactly what the car is doing. I don't know why it is but I can barely hear the tyres - they are virtually non-existent if I'm going too fast into a corner so, again, I only know I've gone too fast because I start washing out mid-corner.

I'll get used to it but, at the moment, I'm finding driving rather counter-intuitive.

Also, for a laugh, I took the Ford Falcon V8 to Laguna Seca. Yeah, erm, that didn't end well :D.

I'll get into some races this weekend and start working on improving the license :).

2scoops

RSR Family
Community Member
Reaction score
The MX5 is a quirky little car which, when you get it balanced right on the edge, is really fun to drive, the only reference you have is tyre squeal, like 4 little piggies :D I think that's the same with most cars in iRacing.

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
The trouble I was finding was that there were no audio or FFB clues to help me hear or feel what the car was doing. It's as if I'm having to learn the steps involved to driving the car, rather than just getting in and driving naturally. Despite what some people say, pCARS has spoiled me in this regard, I usually know exactly what the car is doing. I don't know why it is but I can barely hear the tyres - they are virtually non-existent if I'm going too fast into a corner so, again, I only know I've gone too fast because I start washing out mid-corner.

I'll get used to it but, at the moment, I'm finding driving rather counter-intuitive.

Also, for a laugh, I took the Ford Falcon V8 to Laguna Seca. Yeah, erm, that didn't end well :D.

I'll get into some races this weekend and start working on improving the license :).

I do not like the driving a lot in iRacing tbh. Every car feels the same for me... corner entrance > brake 60-80% (Cause 100% will lock up ur tires even with ABS) > Coast to the Apex > Full throttle again. The FFB is not really good compared to pCars (again in my opinion) and generelly you are driving more with your ears than anything else. Despite those 2 facts iRacing is untouchable with their MP system, their series and their big endurance events which makes it again very interesting to me.

It is tough, I can fully understand you @Cluck. You have to change your driving style completly. I can't tell what is more realistic or what feels "better". Both games just drives different :)

But again for the start, try to use only 60-80 percent of your brakes. Also you need less steering in iRacing compared to pCars. So I see lots of people overdriving the car because of too much steering input because they are used to pCars. If you need any help with the iRacing system as such just gimme a shoutout @Cluck :chicken:

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I guess it's like only ever driving solid, planted RWD cars and finally having to drive a FWD scrabble-waggon. pCARS for me is the RWD car, iRacing is the FWD one. I've spent 5 years playing pCARS as my only driving game, and playing it every other day at the very least. I wasn't expecting iRacing to feel the same - no 2 sims ever do - but I wasn't expecting it to feel this bad :(

As for too much steering input, guilty as charged. Isn't that right @ramiboo ? :D.

BUT

I'm determined to get used to it, get my rating up and join you guys in the 24hr Daytona race. I've rarely had such a goal in life (I'm very much a "take each day as it comes" person) so this is also quite alien* territory for me too!

* no, not that kind of alien!

The MX5 is a quirky little car which, when you get it balanced right on the edge, is really fun to drive, the only reference you have is tyre squeal, like 4 little piggies :D I think that's the same with most cars in iRacing.
Problem is, I'm not hearing much tyre squeal? I'm wondering if it's some quirk in the surround-sound setup? I know some people complain that tyres are quiet in pCARS but, for me, tyres in pCARS are like a 200-piece orchestra compared to the bloke on a kazoo that is iRacing :eek:.

I'll do some more fiddling with the audio tonight to see if I can exaggerate the tyre noises.

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I guess it's like only ever driving solid, planted RWD cars and finally having to drive a FWD scrabble-waggon. pCARS for me is the RWD car, iRacing is the FWD one. I've spent 5 years playing pCARS as my only driving game, and playing it every other day at the very least. I wasn't expecting iRacing to feel the same - no 2 sims ever do - but I wasn't expecting it to feel this bad :(

As for too much steering input, guilty as charged. Isn't that right @ramiboo ? :D.

BUT

I'm determined to get used to it, get my rating up and join you guys in the 24hr Daytona race. I've rarely had such a goal in life (I'm very much a "take each day as it comes" person) so this is also quite alien* territory for me too!

* no, not that kind of alien!

Problem is, I'm not hearing much tyre squeal? I'm wondering if it's some quirk in the surround-sound setup? I know some people complain that tyres are quiet in pCARS but, for me, tyres in pCARS are like a 200-piece orchestra compared to the bloke on a kazoo that is iRacing :eek:.

I'll do some more fiddling with the audio tonight to see if I can exaggerate the tyre noises.

You can adjust the sounds in individually. Engine, Environment, Tires and so on... Thats pretty good actually :)

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
You can adjust the sounds in individually. Engine, Environment, Tires and so on... Thats pretty good actually :)
I looked and couldn't see tyres in the list. Mind you, it was very late when I was looking :D.

F1-Masa

Community Member
Reaction score
slow steering and smooth driving is fastest style iracing.

Users who are viewing this thread