Star Citizen (1 Viewer)

Diluvian

Community Member
Reaction score
Very cool, I hope they are able to release it to evocati group this week with only 5 (or was it 7^^) major bugs left from last week.

D

DevilDriver

I was about to start out new on Warframe (actually I am in for a few hours already). But reading through all of this and checking some other sources, I will be going to space now. :blackalien:

Looks brilliant, can't wait to test it. Sounds very much like a highly addictive experience.

Darksi

Manager of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Looking forward to the release of this. even just the patch, i am itching to get on again with people, but it seems no one is wanting to go till patch 3.0 has been released. If anyone does decide though drop me a message i am up for it.

B

Blue Monkey

3.0.0 is with the closed tester group (evocati or avocados)
So maybe 1 - 2 week until we can test it and 3 - 4 weeks until its live for everyone (release version Alpha 3.0)

Darksi

Manager of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
fingers crossed i cant wait for this.

SharkyOB

Community Member
Reaction score
This game will never be released, or if it is it'll be a hollow shell of what was originally planned. I backed it at what I think was the lowest level, and it's been worth it to receive the regular email of fantasy features they send out. I don't ever expect to actually play anything meaningful.

Michael

#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score
Is SQ42 still claiming 2017?... :rolleyes:

SharkyOB

Community Member
Reaction score
No, they've stopped even trying to estimate release dates. They have nothing apart from a set of tech demos; the game is pure vapourware yet people continue to throw money at them in the form of ridiculously priced ships.

Michael

#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score
I know - I "own" an Aurora LN...

SharkyOB

Community Member
Reaction score
Which is a disgrace. People shouldn't be giving them any money at all at this point, force them to release what they've got. Chris Roberts' record for over ambition and feature creep is well documented. Without an end point nothing will get released and the game will be in development forever.

Last edited:
B

Blue Monkey

No, they've stopped even trying to estimate release dates. They have nothing apart from a set of tech demos; the game is pure vapourware yet people continue to throw money at them in the form of ridiculously priced ships.
You read too much Derek Smart
So 2.6.3 is nothing?
So every demo 3.0.0 is nothing?

Which is a disgrace. People shouldn't be giving them any money at all at this point, force them to release what they've got. Chris Roberts' record for over ambition and feature creep is well documented. Without an end point nothing will get released and the game will be in development forever.
Show us this documentation please

Last edited by a moderator:

SharkyOB

Community Member
Reaction score
You read too much Derek Smart
So 2.6.3 is nothing?
So every demo 3.0.0 is nothing?

Show us this documentation please

Yep, tech demos, not a game.

Maybe read up on some of his other projects, Freelancer for example?

B

Blue Monkey

Yep, tech demos, not a game.

Maybe read up on some of his other projects, Freelancer for example?
I read up on everything - I also know how development works normally. You seem not to. You can compare it quite well with Project CARS 1.
Freelancer was quite successful, yep it was released not as big as originally planned, but it was released.

SharkyOB

Community Member
Reaction score
It was released when Microsoft forced the project out of the door after drastically cutting back Robert's original scope. There's no one to do this with Star Citizen, so development will just roll ever onwards unless the money stops coming in. Honestly though, if that happens I can't see anything getting released at all, so the game is pretty much stuck in limbo.

Star Citizen has been in development since at least 2013, which is around the same time SMS started Pcars1. They've managed to release 2 full games since then, so I don't really see any comparison at all.

Diluvian

Community Member
Reaction score
Which is a disgrace. People shouldn't be giving them any money at all at this point

I'm fully with you but how would all those bakers feel if the project would fail because nobody would invest anymore :). What they are trying to invent is very exciting and if 3.0 plays well I'll start baking (buying) this project (game), too (retail price :) ).

B

Blue Monkey

It was released when Microsoft forced the project out of the door after drastically cutting back Robert's original scope. There's no one to do this with Star Citizen, so development will just roll ever onwards unless the money stops coming in. Honestly though, if that happens I can't see anything getting released at all, so the game is pretty much stuck in limbo.

Star Citizen has been in development since at least 2013, which is around the same time SMS started Pcars1. They've managed to release 2 full games since then, so I don't really see any comparison at all.
That is your opinion and honestly has not much to do with facts.

• FACT IS: Big games tend to be in development for 5-7 years (so up to 2020 for SC) - with the sidenote that SC is one of the biggest games ever attempted, incl. tech that has never been done before. Further it is crowdfunded and they did restructure the company since the beginning as they also increased the scope.
  • FACT IS: Freelancer was released and works pretty well, other games cut down features during development a lot, you just don't know about it normally.
  • FACT IS: Star Citizen ALPHA 2.6.3 is an alpha Version, ever heard what that is? Normally you see nothing from a game until it is BETA.
  • FACT IS: Sofar there was content to play already, it was not much but a start, not a tech demo, that is something entirely different.
  • FACT IS: There are a very small percentage of people out there which are kinda jelly and spread a lot of misinformation about Star Citizen, biggest of them is someone called 'Derek Smart'.
  • FACT IS: Many people are not properly informed about this game and so a lot of misinformation is floating around, including that most of them have no idea how a game is built - so please inform yourself properly before you post here.
  • According to CIG, they planned ahead for several years and are not running out of money - anyways, everything about that is speculation as nobody of us has access to their full financial data.
Yes I agree, Chris Roberts (Founder, CEO of CloudImperiumGames, which does Star Citizen), has a very big dream and I agree the scope is too big. But a lot of the promised features are planned for post release and they provided the Citizens with a roadmap.

Yes they could not keep their promises of several release dates and thats why they changed their policy on that - they don't give us any release dates anymore. That is quite normal in gaming industry, you just don't hear about it normally. Just look around, even announced games are changing sometimes their final release date - and SC is in Alpha atm., so no surprises there. It was a fault to give away any release dates in the beginning though, as people are not understanding how development works and are disappointed if CIG is not on time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael

#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score

SharkyOB

Community Member
Reaction score
I'm fully with you but how would all those bakers feel if the project would fail because nobody would invest anymore :). What they are trying to invent is very exciting and if 3.0 plays well I'll start baking (buying) this project (game), too (retail price :) ).

They're going to be rightly pissed off. That doesn't change things though, the development of this game has been dogged with issues from the start. This is an interesting article from a year ago covering the troubled dev:

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/09/23/inside-the-troubled-development-of-star-citizen

Of course, you could dismiss this if you want to. I suspect the level of dismissal would be proportional to the amount of money invested in the game.

@Blue Monkey

The only fact I can see in your list is that Freelancer was released. Putting fact in block capitals in front of an opinion doesn't make it a fact. Please don't tell me when I can and can't post here, my opinions are just as valid as yours.

Users who are viewing this thread